How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-07-2013, 11:07 PM
The Molinator

"NEW" engine problems.. .

I now have the following problems with my recently installed sorta rebuilt SVX engine:

1. Overheated to RED HOT .. has new thermostat, water pump, cap, and coolant. [Just did once.. almost dint notice.. 107 degrees, 65 mph, AC ON??]

2. Checked Vacuum.. 18.5 after warms up.. fairly stable.. but FSM states 20+ OK

3. CHECK ENGINE manual read gave:
32 O2 rt
37 O2 lft
28 Knock sensor (found unconnected)
24 Air Control Valve
23 MAF sensor
33 Speed Sensor 2

4. Lopes at idle til warm

5. AT probably damaged from assemblying with TC not fully seated (2/3)
Probable cause of speed sensor 2 failure (OR DRIVE!) .. So.. speedo and cruise control don't work!

ANY IDEAS?? Should I take to dealer to diagnose definitively??

HELP? Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 AM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Re: "NEW" engine problems.. .

Put the car on 4 jacks with the speed sensor out and put a small screwdriver in the slot, Then have someone put it in drive and see if the screwdriver is spinning, If it does it could be your sensor. If its not your plastic gear is toast. Did you bleed the cooing system properly as its real picky? Check all your connections.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress

Last edited by redlightningsvx; 07-08-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:27 PM
The Molinator

I'm sure the speed sensor drive is bad. Speedo doesn't move now at all. AND, AT damage is most likely etiology for speed sensor 2 problem!

My wonderful memories.. and hobby .. to fix this cool old SVX .. are FADING into the DiStAnCe! .. .

The damage to the AT.. not being warned about seating the TC.. was the beginning of the end . The AT worked pretty well for a day or two. Now it doesn't! It won't go into 4th or TL. When I turn from a stop (either way) .. it produces a horrendous rotational wobble noise.. until steering is straightened. When I tried to take my car to the dealer this am, the AT was worse.. wouldn't stay in 4th.. AFRAID I would be stranded.. drove very carefully to the dealer .. and back home, after finding out they couldn't check my car today.. "barely" getting home! That's when the coolant temp gauge got erratic.. very scary! [Details below]

Cleared check engine codes yesterday that I mentioned above.. CHECK ENGINE was back ON today after a brief drive. I haven't checked the codes yet.

Needless to say! I need more fingers to stick in the dike!!

If I could go back.. I wudda sold my SVX (with head gasket leak treatment which I was toying with at the time .. ?).. Saved $2600 I've spent with the "new" engine .. and got $2-3000 for my car easy. Now, I have a very expensive.. worthless car. This is proving to be a $5,600 mistake.

BTW, it also did the coolant thing.. heating sporadically.. jumping to HOT.. then back to normal.. then erratic.. up and down.. in just a few seconds! When I got home, the car seemed normal temp.. ??? No bubbling into overflow reservoir.. No hissing or spitting anywhere!!! YIKES!

I OBVIOUSLY NEED A NEW AT! If I get one (???), I can try the old speed sensor in IT!?

Thanks, Jim ???
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)

Last edited by James Scott; 07-08-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:41 PM
The Molinator

Speedo doesn't work..
How am I supposed to bleed coolant .. ??

Thanks, Jim
Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 PM
The Molinator

Speedo doesn't work..
How am I supposed to bleed coolant?

Thanks, Jim
Old 07-09-2013, 05:56 PM
The Molinator

OOPS! .. NeVeR Mind!

I called Tom last night.. He said check the ground on the back of the intake manifold (pass side).. .

When I took off the intake.. prior to removing the engine.. I started to remove the bolt holding that ground wire connector to the intake. Then I decided to take the wire off WITH the intake! I then switched intakes.. using my old intake on the "new" engine.. When I put it back together.. and on the car.. the ground remained loose, but touching that bolt.. .

Last night. I tightened the bolt.. E V E R Y T H I N G ... W O R K S !!!

A Special Thanks to Tom.. and Nate (who refreshed and sent his low mileage engine to me from Far, Far .. Away) .. and for all their continuing support! Thanks for all members' support and help here also! It's what makes this website .. and SVX experience so great!

Thanks, Jim

Keep in mind.. The speedo, tach, coolant gauge, and cruise control didn't work at all. The AT shifted poorly. The engine idled with surges at times. In fact, the engine died while driving on the freeway yesterday. The CHECK ENGINE light was on constantly, and returned constantly after codes were cleared. IT ALL WORKS NOW! YIKES! I still can't believe it!

Last edited by James Scott; 07-09-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:31 AM

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Re: "NEW" engine problems.. .

RESULT!! good to know and remember these things