Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2013, 01:29 PM

Registered SVX
Spark plug recommendation

Is the recommended spark plug still NGK PFR6G-11?

How about for my low pressure (5PSI) turbo set up?

Thanks,

Tapani
Old 06-27-2013, 09:45 PM

Re: Spark plug recommendation

I would stay with NGK spark plugs.
the reason I say that heat ranges are different for each spark plug manufacture.
if you are running turbo you might need a hotter plug?

Last edited by kjoyes; 06-27-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoyes View Post
I would stay with NGK spark plugs.
the reason I say that heat ranges are different for each spark plug manufacture.
if you are running turbo you might need a hotter plug?
Well maybe a colder plug.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:14 PM

5psi should be fine with the stock heat range of the plugs. If you were up over 10psi I would look towards the next colder heat range. On my S/C setup at 12psi I am running one step colder plugs.

If you find yourself getting pre-detonation under boost than go to a step colder plug which would be a 7 instead of a 6 in the part number.

If you find that you are having spark blowout and misfiring under boost than you would want to decrease the gap of the plugs. Again I run a .030" instead of the stock .045". .030" is the gap of the wrx and sti. The OEM coil packs are decent, but they are not as strong as the newer model COP. So far I have not had issues with my ignition with the setup I have, but I also do not have much mileage or run time on the setup as I am still finishing my build.

Last edited by Tireiron; 06-27-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 AM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

I would run with NGK iridium over the factory double platinums. Cheaper, colder, and supposedly platinum is a no-no for forced induction engines.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 06-28-2013, 12:53 AM

Pulstar...
Old 06-28-2013, 06:14 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks for your comments.... I think I will try ND IK20

Tapani
Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

NGK Iridium IX. Look it up.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 07-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
5psi should be fine with the stock heat range of the plugs. If you were up over 10psi I would look towards the next colder heat range. On my S/C setup at 12psi I am running one step colder plugs.

If you find yourself getting pre-detonation under boost than go to a step colder plug which would be a 7 instead of a 6 in the part number.
A mixture of terms here that is confusing. I think you mean pre-ignition, when the charge lights from the hot plug, before the spark does, no sound, just ends up with a hole in the piston.
Pre-detonation is the start of detonation and the cooler plug won’t help it, just too much pressure/temperature.

Quote:
If you find that you are having spark blowout and misfiring under boost than you would want to decrease the gap of the plugs. Again I run a .030" instead of the stock .045". .030" is the gap of the wrx and sti. The OEM coil packs are decent, but they are not as strong as the newer model COP. So far I have not had issues with my ignition with the setup I have, but I also do not have much mileage or run time on the setup as I am still finishing my build.
I agree with what you are saying here, but there is a reason for those different plug gaps, a stock car needs the wide gaps to run well, but the car with a different fuel map does not need them.
Since the 70s, The Auto Industries have had to use very lean mixtures, especially at low rpm and idling, it is because of this that they have to use the gaps that they do.
Contrary to popular belief the spark does not jump the gap. The hi-voltage that the coil develops across the gap has to ionise the fuel to become conductive, so that the current can flow across the gap. With such a lean, patchy, stratified, mixture in the chamber, the gas is harder to ionise, higher voltages are needed so the gaps are increased so that a higher voltage is developed.

There also has to be a higher level of energy to prolong the flow across the gap, as if the spark is too fast, there may not be any combustible gas between the gap, so the spark has to last long enough for some gas to be lit. This is why a standard car has to run the .40” plug gap.

If you have changed the fuel maps to have ‘normal’ mixtures, then there is no need to use those big gaps. A plug gap of .25” takes about 12K volts to ionise the gas, and only about 2k volts to flow the spark., as a lower voltage will do it, so .25” to .30” will lower the voltage. The coils will have less shorting, and insulation breakdown problems, that they have when they have to run 45K volts on a .40” gap.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.