How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Manual Trans SVXi Imported to US?

It is a fact. Subaru was not in good health in the late 80s early 90s. I have been buying them since 1978 . The first one I bought the dealer barely had room in in the show room for on car... They rusted out in 3 years... When were you born Nate?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:05 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
It is a fact. Subaru was not in good health in the late 80s early 90s. I have been buying them since 1978 . The first one I bought the dealer barely had room in in the show room for on car... They rusted out in 3 years... When were you born Nate?
Well his forum handle is 1986nate, so I'll give you one guess...
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Back then Subaru dealers were run a hell of a lot different than now. You've gotta compare apples to apples. Subaru was a baby still in 1978 in the US market but that still doesn't mean they were struggling as a company. If they were in rough shape, the SVX flop would have sunk the company before the end of the 92 model year run when SVXes were literally sitting around everywhere.

And it doesn't matter when someone was born to understand how a company operates and is functioning. You're basing it off your local dealer operations which was obviously a smalltime dealer since back then you had to fully pay for the cars before putting them on your lot or finance them and pay the interest.

Last edited by 1986nate; 07-11-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Well his forum handle is 1986nate, so I'll give you one guess...
Is it 1978? I'll bet it's 1978.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus McFeeley View Post
Is it 1978? I'll bet it's 1978.
Woah!!! How'd you guess?!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:47 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Admittedly, there was teh "bubble economy" prevailance of Japan in the 80s that helped the SVX to life.

On the other hand, a struggling maker of utilitarian cars don't go invest a lot in developing a product completely out of it's niche if they're struggling.

You can't use Fisker as an argument because the Karma was their niche
I'm ready to f...
Old 07-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
On the other hand, a struggling maker of utilitarian cars don't go invest a lot in developing a product completely out of it's niche if they're struggling.
Same time as Subaru opened its sole overseas plant in Lafayette, Indiana (1988).

...or is this an attempt to "go out with a bang" that flopped and created a success story?

The thing that gets me about the whole "didn't have a manual transaxle that could handle the EG33" idea is that it seems they really didn't have an automatic transaxle that could do it, either.

As for any alleged SVXi that Subaru may have produced with manual transaxles? The miles I put on my Pearly's ('99 or '00?) 5MT were not kind ones, so unless the 1992 era 5MTs were made of glass, they must have pounded the living **** out of them to get them to fail often and early enough to deem them too fragile for production.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:54 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
The thing that gets me about the whole "didn't have a manual transaxle that could handle the EG33" idea is that it seems they really didn't have an automatic transaxle that could do it, either.
/thread
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album