Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 PM

Re: STI suspension

im not certain about the koni strut rod being the correct diameter for an sti tophat. Though if it works out, then you will be at stock levels of camber as the lower portion of the strut housing is the same as stock. Regretfully, I cant get my grubby hands on a stock set of sti struts at this moment to check measurements.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the response. I hadn't thought about the shaft diameter. I think I'll order them and make sure I can do a return if they don't t fit.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 PM

Found a post on another forum that used the Koni inserts w/sti top hats so they should fit. I've ordered the STI top hats so I should be able to confirm.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:26 PM

Registered SVX

Surely the simple solution to the top mount is to get them made with the correct spacing?
It's not a hard job for a machine shop to make from billet ali and would save drilling holes in the turrets which after time ARE GOING to crack between the bolt holes.

Impreza rally struts come in longer lengths to give better ground clearance and an unlimited amount of spring rates.

It's a very viable route to look at with a little more digging around could be a good alternative.

Well done on taking the leap of faith!

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:14 AM

Quite true. It would be better to get a good set of tophats that are designed for our strut towers. I thought about going that route, however that would limit what I could order for our car, as not all struts are set up the same with shaft diameter and mounting.
Though, I have found that STI struts are not a different length than our SVX struts simply due to added suspension travel. The fact is that our strut towers are quite abit taller than an impreza. We can actually run Rear gravel rally coilovers for an STi in our front with out any issues. That and technically, our front suspension has more travel built into its geometry than an impreza. However, the control arm geometry of an impreza is designed to offset the toe and camber fluctuations of suspension travel that is inherent with a macpherson strut design. Our svx's, well, not so much. But its by no means a bad suspension.... Wait. I think im getting off topic here.

The strut towers wont crack between the bolt holes. The tophat plate ensures that by putting even distribution of the forces over the entire top of the tower, not just the bolts themselves. Our towers are Remarkably rigid chassis components. If your are getting cracks in them, then you have other problems. Besides, if you are racing your SVX in gravel rally, then you Should have welded in tower reinforcements. Right?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 AM

I'm looking into everything "mod" for SVXs because I'm considering an SVX as my next project car and I've been in love with the quirky SVX since it was introduced way back when.

I love the idea of swapping parts from around the various models as often, and surprisingly, they bolt on (I've owned several different Subarus..all Legacys, including my current '06 Legacy GT...all modded).

I appologize if this seems overly simplistic but did you ever try swapping the SVX tophat(s) onto the STI strut/spring?

H2OSB
Old 11-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I will be finding out next week how that works..

I picked up a set of OEM STI struts used, complete with springs, etc..

Not sure if the ride height will work, but I hope the mods smc made will also apply to the oem struts. If the ride height is the only issue I have, then I'll get a set of GC springs and sleeves to adjust that and hopefully be done (and for a pretty low price too)

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 11-03-2012, 06:09 PM

One of the big issues with using the SVX tophats is they are still OEM soft rubber tophats, that in most cases are 15 years old. Even new, they are still OEM soft rubber tophats. They also have no camber adjustment like aftermarket tophats have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OSB View Post
I'm looking into everything "mod" for SVXs because I'm considering an SVX as my next project car and I've been in love with the quirky SVX since it was introduced way back when.

I love the idea of swapping parts from around the various models as often, and surprisingly, they bolt on (I've owned several different Subarus..all Legacys, including my current '06 Legacy GT...all modded).

I appologize if this seems overly simplistic but did you ever try swapping the SVX tophat(s) onto the STI strut/spring?

H2OSB