Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-01-2011, 08:01 AM

It looks like my timing belt slipped at some point. Do I realign and move on?

It looks like my timing belt slipped 3 teeth to the right at some point. When I align the valve sprockets up the crankshaft is 3 teeth to the left of Top Dead Center. The car was running perfectly when I last ran it, so I doubt it's been like this forever. I think it might have happened when I was trying to remove the crank bolt.

Regardless of how it happened, I should just remove the belt, align the three timing marks, and replace the belt, right? There isn't anything else I need to look for at this point is there?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:40 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: It looks like my timing belt slipped at some point. Do I realign and move on?

Cam seals, cam plugs, front main seal, remove the oil pump and tighten the screws on the back,
while you are down there...
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 AM

Re: It looks like my timing belt slipped at some point. Do I realign and move on?

Certainly... I'm in the thick of doing all that as well. About the only thing that has not gone as planned is this timing issue. All I'm really asking is if I need to do anything with the engine timing wise besides put the camshaft pulley's and the crank shaft back on mark and finish with my job.

In other words, is the fact that it's off by 3 teeth an issue, or do I simply reset it and carry on? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Line everything up and move on. Technically the EG33 is interference, but for damage to occur the internal cam gears would have to slip, a slipping belt will cause no damage.

Also while your in there make sure that there is no damage to the keyway on the crank pulley or either cam pulley.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 PM

OK, so the crank shaft pully and the left camshaft is still in perfect alignment, but the right camshaft is off by about 30 degrees or so. It is about 30 degrees clockwise as facing the engine. It's very difficult to turn by hand, is this something I should worry about, or should I just use the socket wrench and spin it back into place? If so, does it matter if I turn clockwise or counter-clockwise? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 03-08-2011, 02:27 PM

Registered SVX

This happened to me when I was doing my timing. It jumped one tooth on the crank. I just dropped a pulley off to relieve tension of the belt, then I dropped the tensioner, re-compressed it, and redid the timing. PITA, but it must be perfect, and I didn't even consider spinning the sprocket with the belt on it (doesn't sound like a good idea at all to me).

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 03-08-2011, 03:23 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkerussell View Post
OK, so the crank shaft pully and the left camshaft is still in perfect alignment, but the right camshaft is off by about 30 degrees or so. It is about 30 degrees clockwise as facing the engine. It's very difficult to turn by hand, is this something I should worry about, or should I just use the socket wrench and spin it back into place? If so, does it matter if I turn clockwise or counter-clockwise? Thanks.

Clarke
After relieving the belt tension, I would slowly turn the camshaft sprocket
(or crankshaft if necessary) CLOCKWISE with a ratchet into the correct position before reinstalling the new belt.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-09-2011, 09:36 AM

Thanks, I should have mentioned that the belt is NOT on the car yet, I was just lining it up before I put the belt on. I was just wondering how it was so far off, and which direction I should turn the pulley.

Sorry to be so paranoid, I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

Depending on the weather, I plan on putting this back together tonight.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Thanks, I should have mentioned that the belt is NOT on the car yet, I was just lining it up before I put the belt on. I was just wondering how it was so far off, and which direction I should turn the pulley.

Sorry to be so paranoid, I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

Depending on the weather, I plan on putting this back together tonight.
Paranoid is good in this case.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 03-09-2011, 12:27 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Paranoid is good in this case.
You are not really paranoid if they are really out to get you!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
You are not really paranoid if you really are about to destroy your motor!
.....fixed
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:58 PM

OK, so I got everything back in and lined up perfectly. The belt marks are dead on, the notches all line up correctly.. I'm pretty pleased. I did have one quick question though...

When I was turning the camshaft CLOCKWISE, every 1/3 turn or so it would spin forward a bit. It was almost like it was a spring or something...

Now that I just typed it, I think I understand what was happening. As I turned the camshaft, I was compressing certain valves. Once I passed over the TDC of the cam lobe the valve spring would take over and push it the rest of the way around. Does that sound right?
Old 03-11-2011, 10:23 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
OK, so I got everything back in and lined up perfectly. The belt marks are dead on, the notches all line up correctly.. I'm pretty pleased. I did have one quick question though...

When I was turning the camshaft CLOCKWISE, every 1/3 turn or so it would spin forward a bit. It was almost like it was a spring or something...

Now that I just typed it, I think I understand what was happening. As I turned the camshaft, I was compressing certain valves. Once I passed over the TDC of the cam lobe the valve spring would take over and push it the rest of the way around. Does that sound right?
Bingo. Once the cams pass the peak of the lobe the lash adjusters will push on the side of the lobe and force the cam to rotate until the lifters is contacting the lowest portion of the lobes. If you are using a ratchet you will be unable to stop the cam from "springing" once you pass that point.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 03-12-2011, 09:41 AM

Excellent, I now fell 100% positive that I've done this correctly. What a great feeling.

My next hurdle will be the crankshaft pulley... Hopefully I can figure that one out pretty quickly. I think I'm going to have a friend help me and do the prybar on the flexplate method before I go to the trouble of making a tool that I will use one time. We'll see what happens!

Clarke
Old 03-12-2011, 10:00 AM

Registered SVX

I used an old accessory belt. Cut it and put it on a pipe wrench and used it as a strap wrench on the pulley to tighten it.