Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-24-2011, 10:43 PM
svxless

Registered SVX
Intermittent tree lights

The problem is exactly as the title states. The past two days, especially today, I've been experiencing my dash lights flashing on and off every now and then. Interior lights seem slightly dim as well. My idle was running a little higher than normal when I stopped at a red light today, right above 1k rpms, which was the opposite of what I suspected it would do. I haven't checked voltages yet, but plan on doing so tomorrow.

I'm guessing it's a faulty alternator? I'm currently using a re-manufactured Maniac. I've already replaced two in the last year

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 02-25-2011, 05:14 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Intermittent tree lights

Possibly a bad alt, but also a good chance your crank pulley is separating, put a mark across the front of the pulley, drive it some and see if the inner and outer sections stay aligned....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-25-2011, 09:28 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
Possibly a bad alt, but also a good chance your crank pulley is separating, put a mark across the front of the pulley, drive it some and see if the inner and outer sections stay aligned....
Checked the voltage across the battery terminals:
Idle: 13.85V
Powered off: 12.82V

Also marked the crank pulley and drove ~10 miles. The marks are still perfectly aligned.

On another note, hit a patch of ice in a store parking lot tonight and slid head-on into a curb going about 10mph. Luckily the front end cleared the curb, but my left wheel took a pretty good hit and a 4 inch piece of the lip of the rim broke off. As you can assume, my alignment is now terribly off...

1987 BMW 325is

Old 02-25-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiv0 View Post
Checked the voltage across the battery terminals:
Idle: 13.85V
Powered off: 12.82V
Was this the voltage reading at the same time as the Christmas tree was going on. If not, it doesn't count.

If not, when they come on, park right then and leave the engine running and test the battery right then!

Keith
Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Having a plug-in voltmeter is handy at times like this. Put it in the cigarette lighter while driving to get a threshold voltage and watch what happens as the lights dim.

Mine stays permanently installed there.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

No, the lights were not on; didn't even think of that

It would be difficult for me to attempt to test the battery while the lights come on, because they don't stay on for more than a second at a time. However, if the situation presents itself, I will be sure to do so.

I drove around quite a bit today and the dash lights only flickered at me during a trip this evening, and it was only for a period of ten seconds or so.

1987 BMW 325is

Old 02-25-2011, 09:56 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Having a plug-in voltmeter is handy at times like this. Put it in the cigarette lighter while driving to get a threshold voltage and watch what happens as the lights dim.

Mine stays permanently installed there.

I will look into this.

1987 BMW 325is

Old 02-26-2011, 05:36 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Quote:
On another note, hit a patch of ice in a store parking lot tonight and slid head-on into a curb going about 10mph. Luckily the front end cleared the curb, but my left wheel took a pretty good hit and a 4 inch piece of the lip of the rim broke off. As you can assume, my alignment is now terribly off...

There is a REALLY good chance that your lower control arm is bent, you should check that out
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-26-2011, 09:41 AM
svxless

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
There is a REALLY good chance that your lower control arm is bent, you should check that out
I'm praying that's not the case, but I'll be checking it all out today.

When I bought the car a little over a year ago the company that shipped it to me delivered it in a very similar condition. One of their drivers took it for a "joyride" and smacked into a curb. I replaced a broken rim, lower control arm, ball joint, and had an alignment done...

1987 BMW 325is

Old 02-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Was this the voltage reading at the same time as the Christmas tree was going on. If not, it doesn't count.

If not, when they come on, park right then and leave the engine running and test the battery right then!

Keith
I found this post from Trevor, who is an accredited electrical engineer. I found it to be useful.

The flashing of several dashboard trouble indication lights can indicate an alternator fault.

The indicator light test circuit incorporates blocking diodes to eliminate a sneak circuit which would otherwise exist. In an event involving faults within the alternator rectifier network, often involving only a single diode, alternating current is induced online. As a result, pulses of reverse voltage pass the blocking diodes in the test circuit and energize the indicator lights.

It has been shown that testing battery voltage with a multimeter switched to the alternating current range, will usually disclose the presence of the unwanted alternating current, whereas a straight direct current output voltage check may not.

Those who are testing alternators have often failed to detect this problem, as there may be only a small reduction in DC output.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 02-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
I will look into this.
If you are getting the lights to come on intermittently, I would certainly get that plug-in voltmeter. All those dash lights come on when there is an alternator problem, these are the units that may not work if the problem continues.

It may just be a problem with the alternator wiring at the plug on the side or it may be the alternator itself. The most dangerous fault is if the voltage regulator in the alt fails, as it does, the voltage will rise to above 16-17 volts to destroy many of the electronic units in the car, so with the volt meter plugged in the lighter socket, you can keep an eye on it to see what the voltage is doing. If it is going high, stop driving and replace the alternator.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:18 PM

We can all kick this around till the cows come home but my advice, for whatever it is worth, would be to just go ahead and pick up an alternator.

The alternator may not cooperate and stop working in front of the automobile parts place of your choice.

You are going to have to replace it... The rest of us all did when that happened to us.
Keith

P.S. If Tony says it is a blown head-gasket, just ignore him
Old 02-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Get it before you need it.

And we know who has the BEST DEAL on a stock 95A OEM alternator, don't we?

Plus free shipping and prepaid shipping for your old core.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Pretty much! Last count there were a couple that didn't "have it all together yet. It was certainly an easy choice for me! I have 3 SVX and one high amp alternator just sitting on the shelf ready for any emergency!

Keith
Old 02-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:

Plus free shipping and prepaid shipping for your old core.

John,
Check the first post. He stated he's currently running a remanufactured MANIAC alt. This is the first I've heard of anyone having any issue with a MANIAC alt.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker