How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-08-2001, 08:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
antenna assembly?

I just received the antenna (rod assembly) that I ordered from subaru. Any idea of how I can put it in? thanks
chris-
92 claret svx
Old 06-11-2001, 08:35 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Chris, you might try posting this on the Yahoo site. I know that tere are some there who have replaced their masts. Do a search in the message archives, it'll tell you who those were. I think "Halistan" was on of those, but, I'm not sure.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-12-2001, 01:13 AM
tober76b

speaking of antennas....

my antenna had been getting stuck on the way back down from time to time -- so i cleaned and oiled it. it would normally get stuck with the last segment length sticking out. one day i came back to my car, turned on the radio, and noticed that the antenna was dangling. either it popped out on its own or someone yanked it out. regardless, i had a long trip home so i tried pushing it back in with no luck. in the end, i pulled out the cable as far as it would go and closed it in my trunk.
what i'm asking is this: do i need to replace the whole antenna assembly?
please see the linked picture. i should note that the antenna doesn't retract anymore.
thanks.
toby
Old 06-12-2001, 06:35 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Exclamation

Hokay... I've never replaced my SVX antenna mast... but I replaced several on my Saab. Long story.

Anyway, easiest way is to do this (I'm assuming it's just the mast, no assembly or anything... and that there's a toothed nylon belt sticking out of the antenna).

1. Remove the old antenna by turning the radio on, then pulling the rest of the way out. You might hear some grinding of the gears a little, but don't stress too much about it. Make sure you make note of which way the teeth on the belt are facing.

2. Insert the new vinyl thread into the hole with the teeth facing the same direction as the one you removed. Push down until there's more resistance than you can push against. Don't push TOO hard, but be firm.

3. Reassemble the base of the antenna assembly as it was before you took it apart.

4. Turn your radio off and watch in awe as your antenna retracts. It might make a "crack" sound a couple of times, but then just try turning the radio on and off a few times, the antenna should then go up and down without hassle.

BTW, I've found lithium grease to be a great help when your antenna starts sticking!!!

Hope this helps!