Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-08-2010, 04:56 PM

Re: Vibration from driveshaft

Just kidding. There's definitely still a problem.

I moved for the summer to a place with no garage, so I decided to bring the svx into a mechanic. He said that the drive shaft is bent and the the viscous clutch seems to be engaging and disengaging randomly at idle. I noticed this myself, but wasn't sure what to make of it. He said that he figured that whatever is wrong with the transmission probably caused the drive shaft problem. He also said to see if I can get another transmission from the place where I bought mine. I'm thinking probably not, because I got the tranny a while ago and I did all the work myself...

Anyway, any suggestions? Could this be electrical? I was getting the tranny code indicating the dropping resistor is bad (according to a few threads). I checked the resistor with a multimeter and it couldn't read a resistance, so determined it was bad. Could this dropping resistor be the problem or is there something else to look at / try? Thanks

Last edited by ScottyB; 06-08-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Get a 4.44!
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 06-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Get a 4.44!
look in his signature
Old 06-08-2010, 08:41 PM

That's what it is...
Old 06-09-2010, 05:16 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Since you know you need a dropping resistor, I'd install one of those first, as it's super easy to install...then with that out of the way start again with diagnosing it...as I think the dropping resistor has something to do with line pressure in the tranny, so it could be causing problems.....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
look in his signature

Lol, oops.

Fine, get two 4.44's and glue em together.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 06-09-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Lol, oops.

Fine, get two 4.44's and glue em together.
Good idea
Old 06-09-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
Since you know you need a dropping resistor, I'd install one of those first, as it's super easy to install...then with that out of the way start again with diagnosing it...as I think the dropping resistor has something to do with line pressure in the tranny, so it could be causing problems.....
Yeah, I'll give that a try. Where is a good place to get them? If I remember correctly it's a 12 ohm resistor with the ability to dissipate 100W of power?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Yeah, I'll give that a try. Where is a good place to get them? If I remember correctly it's a 12 ohm resistor with the ability to dissipate 100W of power?
Probably several floating around on here from people who have swapped a manual tranny into their SVX and don't need it any more..

So post a "Part Wanted" in the classifieds...I think I've already given away the ones I had..
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 PM

So, I got a resistor but there is still 16 flashes of the power light upon startup. When i pull the code it still says 11. I checked the resistance of the resistor and I get 0.9 ohms. I am getting the hard shifts, 3rd gear 'bounces' when shifted into manually. From what I've read this is caused from the incorrect resistance, but I'll deal with that later. The main problem of vibration still exists and that makes the car un-drivable above 35mph.

I've brought the svx to 2 different shops, a foreign auto shop and a Subaru only shop.

The foreign auto said my viscous clutch wasn't working properly and my driveshaft was bent. I replaced the drive shaft and the vibration is still there.

I brought the svx to a subaru only shop and they say the power light blinks 16 times indicating a faulty clutch duty solenoid. Other than that they said they couldn't really figure out why the car is vibrating.

I know that 11 blinks means duty solenoid A, and more likely the dropping resistor. Ever since I've had the car (2 years) and with each transmission (3 now), the power the power light has always said 11. So, i'm guessing that it's the dropping resistor and not that all 3 transmissions had faulty duty A solenoids.

Anyway, I guess i'm going to get it towed to a shop in Boulder that has more experience with Subarus...

-Can internal transmission clutch problems cause bad vibrations?

-Maybe the transmission that I got from the yard (this is when all the problems started) was damaged in some strange way from an accident?

- Can the rear differential cause anything like this? (when all 4 tires are in the air, the vibration is still there so I would say that rules rear diff out but who knows)

-TCU?

-??

Last edited by ScottyB; 07-12-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:33 PM

Registered SVX

If I remember correctly trevor posted an in-depth description on this forum about the solenoids in the transmission. IIRC, Duty Solenoid A controls a pilot valve that in turn disrupts the flow of hydraulic fluid which is how it controls line pressure. I would think that if it is malfunctioning, it could be behaving erratically and may have negative results on the transmissions friction materials (I don't believe that would explain the shaking). Maybe one of the more knowledgeable folks on here could help out more on that, I am definitely NOT a transmission guy.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 PM

I replaced my drive shaft and that didn't fix the problem so i'm going to replace the center differential now...

Does anyone know if the center differential is the same in the 4.44's and 4.11's stage 1 4EAT?
Old 07-23-2010, 04:49 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

did you have the proper rear differential installed when you changed the trans? Did you check the tooth count to make sure it was a 4.44??

Tom
Old 07-23-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
did you have the proper rear differential installed when you changed the trans? Did you check the tooth count to make sure it was a 4.44??

Tom
Yeah, I remember checking the teeth on the ring gear and dividing it by the teeth on the pinion and it was 4.44. I could double check because I did save the ring gear from my 4.11 and original 3.54. Maybe one of those accidentally made their way in there...
Old 08-07-2010, 07:13 AM

So the rear diff is geared correctly, but I did find this:
This is where the transfer clutch attaches at the rear of the transmission (crappy cell phone pic)

It looks a little burned and there are grooves, which I don't think are supposed to be there. I'm going to get a new clutch pack and see if it helps