SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Longer cranking before start

For some reason, every time I go to start my car, it takes longer and longer to kick over. This started this morning when I went out to head to work. On each consecutive start today, it took a little longer each time, the last time took about 6 seconds of cranking before it kicked over.

Is there an easy solution to this?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:58 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Re: Longer cranking before start

I found that doing the ignition relay mod greatly decreased the amount of cranking my car did at startup.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 12-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Is the rate of cranking still fast or slower each time?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Oddly enough it cranks just fine, just longer and longer.

NOW its pretty much just stopped doing it at all, and does it slightly, very intermittently, so thats good. My only codes are my ol friend the 56 EGR, and my 37 left O2 sensor.

I do have a problem with the idle, as it warms up it will go into a loping thing at about half-warm, where the RPMs go up and down ranging about 300 RPM, then it will steady out and idle low, around 300-400 RPM. Im planning on cleaning the BACV when I remove the intake manifold to clear my EGR passages..

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:45 PM

hi you say you have trouble with code 56 ,this is a egr performance code ,when egr opens it lowers manifold presure with the computer sees
have you test the BPT ?you say you are cleaning the tube s ,if you push on the egr does the car stumble? the other code 37 does any one ever test the power supply ,another person makes mention of the main relay the brown main realy which can really be a pain because its a single throw double pole .also pin 3 of this relay supplies power to egr solenoid and L/s o2 sensor
cleaning or replacing a air control valve is a good start for both your idle and long crank because if its stuck open it can make it hard to start
i hope some of this helps
Old 12-19-2009, 05:45 PM

hi you say you have trouble with code 56 ,this is a egr performance code ,when egr opens it lowers manifold presure with the computer sees
have you test the BPT ?you say you are cleaning the tube s ,if you push on the egr does the car stumble? the other code 37 does any one ever test the power supply ,another person makes mention of the main relay the brown main realy which can really be a pain because its a single throw double pole .also pin 3 of this relay supplies power to egr solenoid and L/s o2 sensor
cleaning or replacing a air control valve is a good start for both your idle and long crank because if its stuck open it can make it hard to start
i hope some of this helps
charlie
Old 12-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

So far the EGR has not had any driveability issue, the passage into my intake is clogged so it would make no difference as theres no flow.

This problem is extremely intermittent, it only did it once today when I had it inside the shop, and every other time it fired right up as normal, including first thing this morning. When i had it in the bay it took about 4 seconds to kick over. Weird.

Im wondering if the snap-on scanner we have can connect to the select monitor harness and give me some real-time info.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:49 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

So mine has been doing this lately and I thought it may have something to do with my alternator but I pulled the codes and I'm getting code 12... which says starter switch or circuit. So this is the relay everyone is talking about replacing? I wonder if it's really that and just not really a bad alternator or maybe both.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

If your alternator field collapses while you are driving then it will kick on your battery light, or you will otherwise have a slowww crank or just a fast clicking when u turn the key, since driving with the alternator otherwise not charging will tax the battery until its dead.

Id refer to the thread "No more click click start only start" and see what the final solution there was for your particular problem.