Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-14-2009, 06:03 PM

Transmission Issues

First of all thank you ahead of time for the assistance, the following problem is a reoccurring problem and tends to happen after it rains. I have a 96 LSi with just over 100k. The following is how the problem is presented every time it occurs.

1) I start the car and it revs very high then idles low

2) When I put it in reverse to back out of the parking space the car acts perfectly normal.

3) I then put it in forward and the car doesn't move (No the parking brake is not on). I can depress the gas fully and nothing happens other than a very slight increase in RPM's.

4) I then cycle the transmission between Forward, 2nd, 3rd, Park and reverse. Most times this does nothing but sometimes the car will very slowly move forward after this with what seems like great effort.

5) I then turn the car on and off and try again, sometimes I have to cycle again to get it to move at all and if it does go forward it struggles but finally seems to get back to normal.

6) Whenever the above problem happens a code flashes claiming a transmission computer error.

7) My question is, is it the computer like it says? If so how important would fixing it be? I intend on doing it but should I not drive until then? Also if you had any idea if this job could be a DIY job then please PM me with any steps. I would be greatly appreciative. Thank you again and have a nice night.

Owned Since Late June 2008

Things Fixed Thus Far

Airbags-Self Installed (I hope they work)

Last edited by HMacmillian; 11-14-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Transmission Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMacmillian View Post
First of all thank you ahead of time for the assistance, the following problem is a reoccurring problem and tends to happen after it rains. I have a 96 LSi with just over 100k. The following is how the problem is presented every time it occurs.

1) I start the car and it revs very high then idles low

2) When I put it in reverse to back out of the parking space the car acts perfectly normal.

3) I then put it in forward and the car doesn't move (No the parking brake is not on). I can depress the gas fully and nothing happens other than a very slight increase in RPM's.

4) I then cycle the transmission between Forward, 2nd, 3rd, Park and reverse. Most times this does nothing but sometimes the car will very slowly move forward after this with what seems like great effort.

5) I then turn the car on and off and try again, sometimes I have to cycle again to get it to move at all and if it does go forward it struggles but finally seems to get back to normal.

6) Whenever the above problem happens a code flashes claiming a transmission computer error.

7) My question is, is it the computer like it says? If so how important would fixing it be? I intend on doing it but should I not drive until then? Also if you had any idea if this job could be a DIY job then please PM me with any steps. I would be greatly appreciative. Thank you again and have a nice night.
Giday H, it does sound like the trans is locking up, after the reverse out. The best move is to get the trouble codes out of the Trans Control Unit, to see what it is saying is wrong.
The 96/97, are different to the rest, in reading the codes, so somebody will chime it and tell you how to do it.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:50 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
First of all thank you ahead of time for the assistance, the following problem is a reoccurring problem and tends to happen after it rains. I have a 96 LSi with just over 100k. The following is how the problem is presented every time it occurs. -----------

Kia ora,

In answer to your logical questions ---

Hopefully your problem involves, an incorrect signal being transmitted to the the transmission control unit (computer).

It does not appear that any damage will result, but the fault could become permanent rather than intermittent, and this could be on a rainy night far from home.

It is surprising what can be achieved, using some good old common sense in diagnosing what at first may appear unduly complicated. The major problem is that the fault must be reproduced in order to be located. You are the Johnny on the spot.

You mention that the problem is tends to be confined to times when it rains. Here you have presented evidence which you should follow through. Give this more thought and advise further in this regard.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-17-2009, 07:38 AM

I currently do not have the car on campus (The fool at the tire store sheared a lug nut off) so when I go home for thanksgiving I am going to try to replicate the problem. I will probably just take a hose and attempt to get under the car and the engine bay area as wet as possible as I don't see any other way. I managed to replicate it once and I wrote down the fault but I am pretty sure I threw the piece of paper out while attempting to clean the car. And thank you for your assistance.

Owned Since Late June 2008

Things Fixed Thus Far

Airbags-Self Installed (I hope they work)
Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I currently do not have the car on campus (The fool at the tire store sheared a lug nut off) so when I go home for thanksgiving I am going to try to replicate the problem. I will probably just take a hose and attempt to get under the car and the engine bay area as wet as possible as I don't see any other way. I managed to replicate it once and I wrote down the fault but I am pretty sure I threw the piece of paper out while attempting to clean the car. And thank you for your assistance.
Intermittent faults are always a pain to reproduce. Are you sure that it only happens when it rains, as it is difficult to understand why. Do you have any sign of water entering the car? Damp glove box, carpet or whatever.

You advise that you get indication of a transmission error. This should be held in memory and should be accessible for a detailed read out. A full check may require a dealer with a select monitor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!