How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-11-2009, 09:36 AM

Registered SVX
Vibration under load

Yesterday, I was cruising up a good grade on the freeway, and got some severe vibration/shuddering from the drivetrain. Backing off on the throttle stopped it immediately. Unfortunately it came back intermittantly on the (uphill) drive home. I took it down to the dealer that evening, and it doesn't do it at all going downhill (much less load on the transmission I guess). Any ideas what might be wrong? The transmission wasn't slipping or "flaring"...

It's a '92 Claret, 167K miles.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Vibration under load

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlutz View Post
Yesterday, I was cruising up a good grade on the freeway, and got some severe vibration/shuddering from the drivetrain. Backing off on the throttle stopped it immediately. Unfortunately it came back intermittantly on the (uphill) drive home. I took it down to the dealer that evening, and it doesn't do it at all going downhill (much less load on the transmission I guess). Any ideas what might be wrong? The transmission wasn't slipping or "flaring"...

It's a '92 Claret, 167K miles.
Rear driveline, mine does the same thing. Your universal joints are starting to bind under load, unfortunately the SVX ones are non-serviceable. You can buy a new driveline, or find someone who can weld new yolks in with serviceable u-joints. I believe yt has done a few, id ask him what his price is to do yours.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 AM

Registered SVX

Hmmm, we replaced the "propeller" shaft just a year/7500miles ago. I wonder if there's any warranty...
Old 11-12-2009, 12:59 PM

Registered SVX

Turns out it's the right front ball joint. I'm also going to replace the left ball joint & MacPherson struts, as one is leaking and the others are spongy. At 167K miles I guess it's time. $805 from 1stSubaruparts.com, ouch!
Old 11-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Similar problem on my '92 but a little different. Mine shakes pretty bad 'round 20-25mph. Happens both accelerating and breaking, and does not effect steering (no wobble in the steering wheel). Also happens in Neutral, so not load related. I've yet to install my rear diff bushings which I'm hoping will help, but I'm suspicious of my driveshaft. Anybody else had the same experience?

Sorry about the crappy grammer. I'm working, and trying to multitask.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.

Last edited by K_Dub; 11-12-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: details, details, apologies.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:18 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Turns out it's the right front ball joint. I'm also going to replace the left ball joint & MacPherson struts, as one is leaking and the others are spongy. At 167K miles I guess it's time. $805 from 1stSubaruparts.com, ouch!
You may want to pass on the struts. Its very possible they have been sitting on shelves and the seals are just ready to fail under load. They are only warranted for 1 yr from the original purchase date. Just ask around, someone had 3 fail and replaced and the 4th failed only a few weeks after that 1 yr period. Also the labor won't be warranted unless replaced at the dealer. I would suggest going with these

http://www.allwelldrive.net/products_coilovers.html

I know the price hurts even more than those stock ones but at least these you know of the quality and can save yourself many possible headaches.

Or just remembered these-not much more than those stock replacements but again, better probability that you won't need to replace them ever again.

http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...trutsrear.html
Old 11-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
You may want to pass on the struts. Its very possible they have been sitting on shelves and the seals are just ready to fail under load. They are only warranted for 1 yr from the original purchase date. Just ask around, someone had 3 fail and replaced and the 4th failed only a few weeks after that 1 yr period. Also the labor won't be warranted unless replaced at the dealer. I would suggest going with these

http://www.allwelldrive.net/products_coilovers.html

I know the price hurts even more than those stock ones but at least these you know of the quality and can save yourself many possible headaches.

Or just remembered these-not much more than those stock replacements but again, better probability that you won't need to replace them ever again.

http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...trutsrear.html
+1 that, pressurized parts have only so much shelf-life.

K_Dub, mine is torque binding at about 5-10mph if I step on the gas more than gingerly...... and on the way from OC, it started vibrating on the highway at about 65-70mph. When I put in the FWD fuse it goes away, verifying its a problem with the rear drivetrain. Its worth a shot to try that, but since yours is under accel and brake, I would more suspect a bent rim or alignment issue, or even a broken belt in a tire.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:38 PM

Registered SVX

axle bad.
get a MWE replacement
search here you will find contact info for MWE
marshall wolfe enterprise.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 12-05-2009, 10:24 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheinen74 View Post
axle bad.
get a MWE replacement
search here you will find contact info for MWE
marshall wolfe enterprise.
I think the axle might be the problem. Probably the next thing to try anyway.

We replaced both ball joints (and all 4 MacPhearson struts), and that made it better, but it didn't go away. I still get a vibration from the front on a long constant-grade uphill climb on the freeway, that stops instantly when I back off the throttle. I don't think it's the rear drivetrain because we replaced the "propeller shaft" last year...

Not having any luck finding "MWE"...

Last edited by rlutz; 12-05-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:35 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I think the axle might be the problem. Probably the next thing to try anyway.

We replaced both ball joints (and all 4 MacPhearson struts), and that made it better, but it didn't go away. I still get a vibration from the front on a long constant-grade uphill climb on the freeway, that stops instantly when I back off the throttle. I don't think it's the rear drivetrain because we replaced the "propeller shaft" last year...

Not having any luck finding "MWE"...
How hard is it to replace the front axles? Does it require a re-alignment? I found some re-built axles at a reasonable price, might replace both....

http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...rontaxles.html
Old 12-05-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
How hard is it to replace the front axles? Does it require a re-alignment? I found some re-built axles at a reasonable price, might replace both....

http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...rontaxles.html
Not hard... and no...

Rebuilt usually is good

Keith
Old 12-05-2009, 11:56 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

advance auto parts sells front axles for the svx for $70, free shipping on orders over like $75. Just had to do the left one on my car actually.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_CV-Axle-Shaft-Assembly-GSP_15870406-P_945_R|GRP60007_841277452___
Old 12-05-2009, 11:57 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Also, I did not do a realignment when mine were replaced and I think I should have.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
advance auto parts sells front axles for the svx for $70, free shipping on orders over like $75. Just had to do the left one on my car actually.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_CV-Axle-Shaft-Assembly-GSP_15870406-P_945_R|GRP60007_841277452___
Thanks! I just ordered a pair with a $20-off internet special, only $120 for two!

Last edited by rlutz; 12-17-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:19 AM

Registered SVX

Got the new axles in and no more vibration! Guess it was a combination of bad ball joints and front axles.

BTW, the "cheapo" axles from Advance Auto ($60 ea vs $414 from Subaru ) looked to be every bit as good a quality part.

Next job is to do the rocker cover gaskets & fuel sending units. It just goes on...

Last edited by rlutz; 12-18-2009 at 09:22 AM.