Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-03-2001, 11:57 PM

Unhappy

Ok guys, need your help again! Just got my car back with rebuilt transmission on Thursday. Driving in a parking lot today, I noticed when making a slow left turn some kind of binding as I turned. Can make it happen at will with left or right fairly tight turns. I think this may be rear axle binding as described in TSB 16-58-94 Item 4:

4. Transfer Clutch Driven Plates (Metal) and Seal Rings - Refer to Figure 4
Modified Clutch Driven Plates (P/N 31589AA041) were installed to reduce rear axle binding starting with transmission number 389607. Additionally, new style Oil Seals (P/N 31377AA131) have been installed on the transfer clutch output shaft. These updated seals are black in color with a "notched" design on their inner diameter and are cut diagonally on the ends. The purpose for the change was to reduce the chance of these seals rotating in their grooves and cutting into the rear extension housing.

If you experience a case of rear axle binding on turns, with a transmission that has the updated transfer clutch driven plates, it is recommended that you install another set of the updated driven plates. After installing these new driven plates, it will be necessary to drive the vehicle in several figure 8's to break them in. As always, the first thing to check when diagnosing an AWD binding complaint is tire size. All tires must be of the same size and brand name.

Any one else had this experience? Is it true as the bulletin suggests, I need to drive in figure 8's to break in clutch plates? I don't actually understand how the two are related. Thanks as usual for any help!
Old 03-04-2001, 06:39 AM

Since it's a fresh rebuild, I'd do the figure 8's first. Just go out to a big, open parking lot and go slowly. Full left lock, full right lock, several times. I don't know officially what this does, but it has something to do with 'seating' the transfer clutch plates. I think I've read that anytime you change tranny fluid on an AWD car, it's a good idea to do it.

Also, a difference in the tire circumference could cause that problem. Just for grins, it wouldn't hurt to jack it up and measure the tires.

If that doesn't fix it, I'm not sure what to tell you. Obviously (and unfortunately), it may mean a trip back to the rebuilder.

Rich
Old 03-11-2001, 09:05 AM

Question Did homework .. more questions!

I recently went through all the data from the Yahoo Club on "binding" and would appreciate any help to give me some comfort or understanding before spending more money.

1. Figure 8's don't seem to be helping. Did put the car in FWD only mode and no binding. One suggestion was this indicates a problem with duty solenoid 'C' which controls the AWD. I've had the dealer do diagnostics on my tranny and everything comes up OK. Has anyone actually replaced this solenoid and experienced a fix?

2. If the transfer clutch is not fully disengaging, what controls this or causes this? What difference would a new clutch make - why would it behave any differently?

3. Some people indicated friction modifiers helped. Can anyone explain how? Do they adversely affect the operation of the transmission in general or put it at any greater risk for failure down the road?

Thanks in advance for any help - I'm just one of those guys who needs to get as much info as possible before trying something!