How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Thumbs up My 1st Detroit Iron since the 60's!

Well, perhaps a bit late, but after enduring 700 mile round trips in the Legacy wagon a few times too many in '09, we decided we needed a "traveling" car capable of transporting 4 adults, or 2 and 2 rear seats for twin g'babies in quiet and comfort. Not up to new car prices in retirement mode, went looking at lease returns. Started looking at Acura RLs and Infiniti Ms and G's, but ended up driving away in an '05 Cadillac STS. No AWD or Adaptive Cruise but about every other bell and whistle known to man. Throw in 38K West Coast miles, the 4.6L Northstar, Magnetic Ride Control and 11 spkr Bose DVD sound and it moves right smartly down the road in style! Yeah, I know, a V8!!! Just realized it's the 1st, and maybe last this old fogey will ever own.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 09-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
Re: My 1st Detroit Iron since the 60's!

pics!
Old 09-27-2009, 07:49 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Congratulations on your purchase Glenn.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Thanks guys! Pics soon! Teaser, dealer salesguy says "gold doesn't sell well". I don't see Gold, maybe a dark champagne or "tan" metallic. Has been described as "beige". Has tan leather and wood everywhere. I'll also follow up a little with what's involved in getting the NAV/DVD hacked so it'll work on the move, Bluetooth too! . Yeah, BigBro at work. No DVD video over 6mph, using gps and speed sensor to rat you out! No kidding! $300 for the fix, and I find it's come and gone along with the guy that modded the "locksmith" device to work with the 05-06 MYs. May have to DIY it, with mini-relays and other trick shtuff! Finding my golden yrs car is designed taking into account my ability to pull over and dawdle whenever I darn well please, or get a phone call, or have to find a drug store enroute to grandkids graduations. LOL!! GM!! Must have the best lawyers in the biz!!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:28 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Nice highway car for sure.
I've always wanted a CTS-V or an STS-V.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Man! The way this beast leaps off the line I have to wonder what those 500HP V's drive like. Here's some pics. Tell me what you think.

Glenn

Old 09-28-2009, 02:06 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
Well, perhaps a bit late, but after enduring 700 mile round trips in the Legacy wagon a few times too many in '09, we decided we needed a "traveling" car capable of transporting 4 adults, or 2 and 2 rear seats for twin g'babies in quiet and comfort. Not up to new car prices in retirement mode, went looking at lease returns. Started looking at Acura RLs and Infiniti Ms and G's, but ended up driving away in an '05 Cadillac STS. No AWD or Adaptive Cruise but about every other bell and whistle known to man. Throw in 38K West Coast miles, the 4.6L Northstar, Magnetic Ride Control and 11 spkr Bose DVD sound and it moves right smartly down the road in style! Yeah, I know, a V8!!! Just realized it's the 1st, and maybe last this old fogey will ever own.

Glenn
Nice looking ride Glenn. Glad you like it and hope you enjoy it.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 09-29-2009, 11:38 PM

I give it a big MEH

too much plasitc and bland styling

probably doesn't even have sentinel and mist

'91 seville is so cool!!!!
and you can fool it's computer to think it has 2 doors, no egr valve, and turn off PREMIUM fuel only!!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:38 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:

Glenn
That's a really nice car Glenn. Enjoy your purchase, and remember you are buying American, at a time when you guys need to support local industry.

I also don't agree the negative about the plastics. I think Cadillac has done more than all the other big manufacturers to make a decent American car to compete with Acuras and Camrys and Mercs etc.

Drive it with pride man. The car is worth it.

Joe

[PS I had a car that colour once. Absolutely the best colour bar none for not showing dust or dirt! ]
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Thank you Joe! I can't deny a little pride at buying American at this juncture, and admit to being pleasantly surprised daily at some feature, or a nicely finished detail on the car. The Magnetic Ride Control, for instance, does significantly alter the ride characteristics of the car, making it much more difficult to stay out of the throttle when changed from "Touring". "Performance" setting stiffens the rear at launch enough to make the car feel like it's surging forward, rather than rocking back on it's haunches first like a typical luxo-barge, and ride is stiffened noticeably. Nice to discover this side of the car! I also like the Start button and door-locks that know you have the key.

subiemech, sorry it doesn't float your boat. As far as premium fuel, this Cad knows what grade of fuel it's sipping. I'm beginning to wonder if it might know if "you're naughty or nice" at Christmas!! Traction Control and Stabilitrac work hard to keep one in line!

Kevin, thanks for the encouragement! We're doing our best to enjoy it. Having a little trouble getting the spouse to drive it much though. Think it intimidates a bit with all the gadgets. Must be 600 pages of manuals!!

Thanks for taking a look, and the comments are welcome everyone.

Glenn

Last edited by RojoRocket; 09-30-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Thank you Joe! I can't deny a little pride at buying American at this juncture, and admit to being pleasantly surprised daily at some feature, or a nicely finished detail on the car. The Magnetic Ride Control, for instance, does significantly alter the ride characteristics of the car, making it much more difficult to stay out of the throttle when changed from "Touring". "Performance" setting stiffens the rear at launch enough to make the car feel like it's surging forward, rather than rocking back on it's haunches first like a typical luxo-barge, and ride is stiffened noticeably. Nice to discover this side of the car! I also like the Start button and door-locks that know you have the key.

subiemech, sorry it doesn't float your boat. As far as premium fuel, this Cad knows what grade of fuel it's sipping. I'm beginning to wonder if it might know if "you're naughty or nice" at Christmas!! Traction Control and Stabilitrac work hard to keep one in line!

Kevin, thanks for the encouragement! We're doing our best to enjoy it. Having a little trouble getting the spouse to drive it much though. Think it intimidates a bit with all the gadgets. Must be 600 pages of manuals!!

Thanks for taking a look, and the comments are welcome everyone.

Glenn
I had a big pile of Detroit Iron a few years ago. It was similar in color, but was built be Buick! It was a 63 Buick Riv! I LOVED that car!!
It had every option that 63 offered! It was designed to be driven effortlessly at 105 MPH. I bought it in 1979 and sold it about 5 years ago.

GM has build a LOT of under-appriciated cars!

If I drove the Buick in town, it got about 8 MPG, when I hit the highways and got her over 70 mph, she delivered over 18 mpg! (and could bury the 145 mph speedo at will)

I just gotta ask, "When you turn your car ON, does it return the favor??" (like the commercial says)??????

I still get a 'chub' thinking about some of my 'Buick' days!!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 09-30-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser View Post
I had a big pile of Detroit Iron a few years ago. It was similar in color, but was built be Buick! It was a 63 Buick Riv! I LOVED that car!!
It had every option that 63 offered! It was designed to be driven effortlessly at 105 MPH. I bought it in 1979 and sold it about 5 years ago.

GM has build a LOT of under-appriciated cars!

If I drove the Buick in town, it got about 8 MPG, when I hit the highways and got her over 70 mph, she delivered over 18 mpg! (and could bury the 145 mph speedo at will)

I just gotta ask, "When you turn your car ON, does it return the favor??" (like the commercial says)??????

I still get a 'chub' thinking about some of my 'Buick' days!!
Not under appreciated here Jerry

I absolutely love the '63 Riviera, and I have a great big soft spot for the Boat tail as well. [When was that, '72 maybe?]

I never realised you had one of those babies. Very very nice car.

As I see American metal all the really stylish cars were made between the early sixties to the early seventies. After that they kind of lost their way, turning out tin boxes with not much soul or style.

But that's just me! I'm sure plenty of you guys will remember some later models you like.

Joe

{PS Jerry, did you know the Riviera's birthday comes up this Sunday, 4th October? }

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 10-09-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Not under appreciated here Jerry

I absolutely love the '63 Riviera, and I have a great big soft spot for the Boat tail as well. [When was that, '72 maybe?]

I never realised you had one of those babies. Very very nice car.

As I see American metal all the really stylish cars were made between the early sixties to the early seventies. After that they kind of lost their way, turning out tin boxes with not much soul or style.

But that's just me! I'm sure plenty of you guys will remember some later models you like.

Joe

{PS Jerry, did you know the Riviera's birthday comes up this Sunday, 4th October? }

Mine was built in sept of 1962! VIN number 7J1116113
It was bought by a Buick salesman named Paul Hendrikson, before it hit the LOT!

(I know his Grandson.)
The car died one day, due to really cold temps. It had ice in the fuel lines. It stalled within 'drifting' distance from a driveway. I drifted into the driveway and asked the woman that answered the door if I could leave it there for a day or so. She told me that I could leave it there"as LONG as I wanted to". It was her 'deceased' HUSBANDS car!!
I left it there for 3 weeks, till the temps warmed up to the point that it would start.
She took a hundred pics of it parked there. Nice lady!!

Jerry

Last edited by svxistentialist; 10-09-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Cool story Jerry. Nice one.

Practically rivals that "Private Malone" song.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 10-09-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser View Post
Mine was built in sept of 1962! VIN number 7J1116113
It was bought by a Buick salesman named Paul Hendrikson, before it hit the LOT!

(I know his Grandson.)
The car died one day, due to really cold temps. It had ice in the fuel lines. It stalled within 'drifting' distance from a driveway. I drifted into the driveway and asked the woman that answered the door if I could leave it there for a day or so. She told me that I could leave it there"as LONG as I wanted to". It was her 'deceased' HUSBANDS car!!
I left it there for 3 weeks, till the temps warmed up to the point that it would start.
She took a hundred pics of it parked there. Nice lady!!
The Riviera was produced untill 1957, then discontinued. It was 'Intended' to be brought out as a 'New' LaSalle in '63' but GM decided to give it to Buick instead. The 'Promotional' press said that the car was designed to " Run EFFORTLESSLY at 105 MPH"!

I can tell you that the car ran just as 'effortlessly' at 135!!

PS, I have (4) of those old 'Nail Heads' stashed within 40 feet of this computer!

I gathered up all that I could about 20 years ago when they were 'junk'!

I really want to use one in the 30 Willys, after I get all the geometry issues worked out.

Jerry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: