Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM

Plasma Booster

I was wondering would a svx benefit from this ignition voltage booster basically.A company called igniton solutions has a product that splices one wire to each voltage wire on each coil pack and ups the voltage,they say you get crisper throttle response more torque and a little hp if your car is running rich,which does make sense because its burning unburnt fuel.Thinking about getting one next week its only 275 dollars,It has been dyno tested on cars with simliar coil on plug as the svx does.Any input
Old 07-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Plasma Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2 View Post
I was wondering would a svx benefit from this ignition voltage booster basically.A company called igniton solutions has a product that splices one wire to each voltage wire on each coil pack and ups the voltage,they say you get crisper throttle response more torque and a little hp if your car is running rich,which does make sense because its burning unburnt fuel.Thinking about getting one next week its only 275 dollars,It has been dyno tested on cars with simliar coil on plug as the svx does.Any input
I was under the impression we had enough going to them but if not this could prove interesting.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 07-09-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:13 PM

That may be correct,but our cars are detuned our cars from the factory.I am impressed by how svx owners can get gains from a car that most companys now still won't touch.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

I haven't heard of this system but it sounds like another company's version of the msd box. The MSD box for coil on plugs is supposed to work well.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Got a link to that Walter?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:11 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Got a link to that Walter?

Harvey.

A simple click on "Google" is all that is required to disclose heaps of information which turns out to be quite interesting.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:25 AM

Quote:
That may be correct,but our cars are detuned our cars from the factory.I am impressed by how svx owners can get gains from a car that most companys now still won't touch.
You wanna qualify that statement ?? I'm not sure that's strictly correct, or it would be easy-peasy to get another 20whp from the "usual go-faster" mods.

Phil.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:07 PM

A decent intake, ecutune stage1v5 and some minor exhaust work,underdrive pulley,thats a easy 20hp.Add some custom made intake manifold spacers.I'm just indicating how 20 hp is available.Thats just engine mods,you have tranny mods such as upgraded TCUs,valve bodies for quicker shifts,QC shift kit.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:13 PM

Check out Spark Boosters and Ignitions.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

Quote:
A decent intake, ecutune stage1v5 and some minor exhaust work,underdrive pulley,thats a easy 20hp.Add some custom made intake manifold spacers.I'm just indicating how 20 hp is available.Thats just engine mods,you have tranny mods such as upgraded TCUs,valve bodies for quicker shifts,QC shift kit.
I don't know if that's actually 20 hp or if its easy, thats a few hundred bucks in parts including a computer reprogramming. If you want to talk about easy horsepower and being detuned, I'd think of BPU on Supras.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:26 PM

All the parts mention or available now, the chip alone gave my car a noticeable increase and at least 12-15whp.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Im sorry to say this, I am a huge fan of power gains. But since when did 12whp become a noticeable increase?? Your HP and TQ will vary that much dependent upon air quality and density and I bet you have never noticed.

Tom
Old 07-13-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Im sorry to say this, I am a huge fan of power gains. But since when did 12whp become a noticeable increase?? Your HP and TQ will vary that much dependent upon air quality and density and I bet you have never noticed.

Tom
My point exactly. It's simply the laws of diminishing returns. The SVX engine is at it's pinicle of development for it's era. 11:1 compression, 4 valve per cylinder, variable volume inlet system, sequential ignition and injection, knock and O2 adapting ECU......... it's a peach of an engine !!

The areas where performance improvement *could* be gained are from increased cam timing as from memory the cams have plenty of lift and fast ramps but the timing is pretty "soft", a porting job on the heads, some tuned length exhaust manifolds matched to both compression and cam timing, a carefully designed free-flow exhaust system and a remap to take advantage of these changes. None of these are, in reality, particularly cheap, nor "DIY-able".

Yes you can build your own exhaust, but some who have tried have found that simply removing or replacing a silencer/resonator doesn't yield the results they expected, in fact in some (most ??) cases the results have been negative in every sense.

You could grind your own heads but without a flow-bench how do you know if you've improved anything ?? Bigger isn't necessarily better !!

You could (and some have) specify your own cams, but they won't be cheap as there simply isn't the market to take advantage of the enconomies of scale of a decent production run, unlike for an Imprezza. And it's not all more pie, you might find that chasing that extra 20hp at the top end completely ruines the torque curve low down.

Subaru themselves have made some improvements to the performance of their H6 family by introducing variable cam timing and further improvements to electronic control, but that's simply changing the way you slice the pie, not necessarily increasing the amount of pie !!

As Tom says even a 20 "at the wheel" hp increase on an engine which subjectively puts 170 out as standard is only a little over 10%, and will not be that noticable.

You spends your money and takes your choice of course, and little mods here and there will, if correctly designed and applied, make little improvements which do all add up, but this whole idea that a free-flow air filter, a remap and some magnaflow silencers make an "easy 20hp" on an 1990's engine is laughable. Sorry to be so pointed, believe me it's nothing personal against you, just a general comment on the so-called "bolt-on tuning" world.

Phil.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:11 AM

My car hasn't been on a dyno in a while back,but doing some personal tests where my svx needed a car in the quarter against a 95 impala ss,after the chip install the svx walks all over the ss.Also if you can't feel 12-15 whp which is maybe close to 20 at the crank on a fwd something is wrong.Tom you sell a intake that made about 20hp and people who have it say it was noticeable.Last what fwd car with 230hp only put out 170whp.My point is that you will notice your gains quicker with a fwd car which I should have mention at the start,my mistake.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:49 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I laugh at people who say thet can feel a diffference. Through an auto you will not... EVER feel the difference. Thats why you go to a track to monitor changes or go to a dyno. Because the placibo effect has got the car enthusiast world by the balls.

Tom