Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2009, 01:38 PM

power range

Hello!
I bought my 1992 SVX LsL 2 weeks ago for an amazing price (I work at an auction ;-) I changed the MAF, rear rotors, calipers and pads, filled it up with premium, and I was a happy camper. The car is amazingly pleasant to drive and attracts looks from every direction. Since I changed the maf, I just put the cone filter the previous owner left in it and I don't have the oem airbox. I also own a 98 maxima se with 190hp/205lb of torque and 200kilos less.My maxima feels faster, specially at low rpms. It seems to me like the SVX like high revs, and responds slowly to low rpm acceleration.
I just want to know if all svx are alike, or if mine is just slower because of a vaccuum leak or something along those lines..
Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 PM

Registered SVX
Re: power range

consider gearing and hp to weight ratios
Old 03-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

^^^What he said. The issue isn't with power, but with the 4EAT's gearing. The transmission isn't meant to deliver lots of "kick" off the line, but rather to be an excellent cruiser. Your Maxima probably rips through the first two gears much faster than the SVX, giving it more effective torque at low speeds.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 03-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

You would also do well to replace that cone filter with the stock airbox so it can breathe cold air from the fender well again. It has been shown that breathing hot engine compartment air can lower your horsepower by up to 30 or more. You can also get some more ducting and put the cone filter down into the fender if you want to keep the slightly higher airflow. Read more about the SVX on the link at the bottom of my signature, I found it very interesting.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:55 PM

Thanks for your replies. I know that the svx has long gears, and the acceleration is not disapointing at WOT, but sometimes under fair demand I feel like it doesnt respond adequately, like a bad air/fuel ratio or misfire, but misfiring makes an unmistakable sound I know too well. I tried the car on FWD mode, and it would'nt even spin on cold asphalt. ECU crush mod, anyone? And the weight is killing me.It has its advantages, but I would definitely try to put it on a diet of no spare and no backseat.

Last edited by Famouspork; 03-26-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famouspork View Post
Thanks for your replies. I know that the svx has long gears, and the acceleration is not disapointing at WOT, but sometimes under fair demand I feel like it doesnt respond adequately, like a bad air/fuel ratio or misfire, but misfiring makes an unmistakable sound I know too well. I tried the car on FWD mode, and it would'nt even spin on cold asphalt. ECU crush mod, anyone? And the weight is killing me.It has its advantages, but I would definitely try to put it on a diet of no spare and no backseat.
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT run the car in FWD mode unless necessary you will cause server damage.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 03-26-2009, 03:29 PM

Registered SVX

ANd stop trying to do burn outs with an AWD car. It won't happen unless you are pushing some serious numbers...
Old 03-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Hello!
I bought my 1992 SVX LsL 2 weeks ago for an amazing price (I work at an auction ;-) I changed the MAF, rear rotors, calipers and pads, filled it up with premium, and I was a happy camper. The car is amazingly pleasant to drive and attracts looks from every direction. Since I changed the maf, I just put the cone filter the previous owner left in it and I don't have the oem airbox. I also own a 98 maxima se with 190hp/205lb of torque and 200kilos less.My maxima feels faster, specially at low rpms. It seems to me like the SVX like high revs, and responds slowly to low rpm acceleration.
I just want to know if all svx are alike, or if mine is just slower because of a vaccuum leak or something along those lines..
Hello there Pork, and you are welcome to the group.

The guys are telling it like it is. There is plenty of power in the engine, or at least enough, the problem is the gearbox.

You will find it is reluctant to kickdown to make a quick overtake, but if you do WOT it takes off like a scalded cat. Your US or Canada cars are even more limp, because they have the highest final drive for low revs cruising. Japan and Europe cars are lower geared, plus they have a different gearbox type.

The best and cheapest upgrade you can do is to add the Power Mode mod. Do a search. It will transform the driving experience for next to nothing, plus it does not affect economy.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-26-2009, 04:15 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuberNatural View Post
ANd stop trying to do burn outs with an AWD car. It won't happen unless you are pushing some serious numbers...
aww do i have to lol i dont do burnouts but i do go out in the rain all the time and get some awd drifto happening and every now and then i get some stand still wheel spin till she grips lol then i get shot off up the street at mach 4 and occasionally get some highway overtaking wheel spin but my tires are at maybe 40% so that may explain the lack of traction but its fun ( i dont have any race tracks or skidpans anywhere near me without driving 3 hours to get there so i just make the best of local streets hehe )

Last edited by aust92pearl; 03-26-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

You might want to consider getting one of my TCUs. It has modified shift maps which address the otherwise lack luster part throttle performance. If you follow the link in my signature to my website page on the tcu's you will find plots of the new shift maps overlayed ontop of the old shift maps so you know exactly what you are getting ahead of time. To put it very roughly the car will be more inclined to downshift and less anxious to jump up to the next gear with medium throttle or to put it another way you no longer have to floor the car to get it to go. I just released these and they are on sale right now to help get some out there to spread the word.

You could also do the "power mode mod" but the results are much less refined. Many loved it at first because, well, part throttle performance really is terrible with the stock shift maps so it's not hard to improve on but after a while the joy seems to wear off and a lot of people decide driving in power mode all the time is a little "too agressive." My shift maps seem to make everyone happy. I've also added some increased protection against overheating the transmission.

OH and you actually get better fuel economy because you don't have to use the gas pedal as much to get it to go. An improvement of about 2mpg city seems typical thus far.

Last edited by longassname; 03-26-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: had to throw in the mpg numbers
Old 03-27-2009, 07:43 AM

I've owned quite a few cars in my life and I know a few things about driving. What I have noticed is that my subie lacks power at low revs. However, whenever it downshifts at wot, it IS agressive. But part throttle is less impressive.Although right now, I am getting aquainted with that car, and I love driving it.The last 'interesting' car I owned was a 300zx Z31 with 17psi. The driving was NOT smooth, but very adrenaline rush inducing. The SVX feels more like a well balanced car that eats the road as it comes.Pleasant indeed.
I'll do the ECU crush mod (I've been reading this forum for 3 weeks)and fit the stock airbox from my maxima, see if I get better results.I don't think I would like to have a new shift map though, I shift it manually all the time.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:52 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
I've owned quite a few cars in my life and I know a few things about driving. What I have noticed is that my subie lacks power at low revs. However, whenever it downshifts at wot, it IS agressive. But part throttle is less impressive.Although right now, I am getting aquainted with that car, and I love driving it.The last 'interesting' car I owned was a 300zx Z31 with 17psi. The driving was NOT smooth, but very adrenaline rush inducing. The SVX feels more like a well balanced car that eats the road as it comes.Pleasant indeed.
I'll do the ECU crush mod (I've been reading this forum for 3 weeks)and fit the stock airbox from my maxima, see if I get better results.I don't think I would like to have a new shift map though, I shift it manually all the time.
Perhaps you should consider a 5-Speed Swap.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

I wouldn't do the "ecu crush mod." That's an attempt to fix the intermittent hessitation these cars get when they run lean at tip in. It's never worked very well. Tuning it to not go lean at tip in does. That hessitation was removed way back in the very first version of the ECUtune stage 1 software.

I think you'll find upgrading your shifting a much more fruitfull path to go down. You don't have to buy it from me either. If you have the ability to do some difficult soldering and write your own ROM I've posted the actual hex for my modified shift maps, temp warning, and overheat thresholds in Phils gearshift map thread.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:04 AM

I've been thinking about it since before owning the car! But I heard that most people who do that get very high revs on the highway, like 5000rpm at 60mph.
I think the final drive ratio can be changed. If it can attain reasonable revs on the highway, I would be curious as to what tranny fits,etc.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:06 AM

The only time I messed around with HEX is while doing extreme mods on my gran turismo 2 cars with a gameshark, so i wouldn't try that outside a virtual environment ,thank you! haha!