Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Good place to tap for +12v switched power?

What is a good wire to tap for switched +12v power? Are there any unused terminals / connectors near the center console that can be accessed for this? I'd rather not use the switched wire for the head unit, since I don't really like the idea of piggy-backing a bunch of stuff off of the stereo power feed. I will require about 3a of total available current for this connection, so it's not a huge power drain or anything, but I'd prefer a dedicated line if at all possible.

I was thinking along the lines of maybe finding a connector for some obscure / unused option on my car (i.e. automatic belts, seat heaters, etc) that I could repurpose for this project. But I don't know enough about year-to-year harness changes to know what is there and what isn't, or even where to look for it. I don't want to rip my car apart looking for nonexistent wiring.

I do have open connections for my old sun visors, but those are in a less than ideal location for what I'm trying to do. I guess I could use those, but it would be as a last resort...plus, I believe those are constant +12v (not switched) so that makes those wires even less appealing.

So, does anyone have any ideas? The car is a 1994 LSi, if it matters. Thanks in advance...

-Evan
Old 03-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Good place to tap for +12v switched power?

Im not sure if the 94s are the same, but mine has a fuse opening in the block for "Phone", i think its a 15A. Its toward the middle of the box.... and if its like mine you can tap a wire directly into that for 12v switched power. Check under the fusebox cover and see if it lists it, and if it does and it tests with voltage, youre in business.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Im not sure if the 94s are the same, but mine has a fuse opening in the block for "Phone", i think its a 15A. Its toward the middle of the box.... and if its like mine you can tap a wire directly into that for 12v switched power. Check under the fusebox cover and see if it lists it, and if it does and it tests with voltage, youre in business.
I saw that there while I was poking around...I didn't want to mess with it too much in case there were other things attached to it, but after researching it a little, it looks like that's all it runs. Is there a wire / plug coming from this location that can be accessed? What's the best way to go about tapping into this circuit?
Old 03-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

I think just pulling the fuse if there is one and putting a lead directly into that spot...on the power side of course. the wire should run upwards so you can still close the cover.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

you could also use a fuse tap.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
I saw that there while I was poking around...I didn't want to mess with it too much in case there were other things attached to it, but after researching it a little, it looks like that's all it runs. Is there a wire / plug coming from this location that can be accessed? What's the best way to go about tapping into this circuit?
The line from the "phone" fuse goes to the trunk, behind the liner on the passenger side.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:23 PM

I went out and picked up a fuse tap today, but ran out of daylight before my errands were done. So I'll probably try doing something with that next weekend. Hopefully it'll fit under the cover...if not, I'll figure something else out.

Thanks all for your help!