Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-11-2009, 07:39 AM

Re: HELP! 430 miles from home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartracing View Post
It almost sounds like when a car jumps timing....I know you checked it, but........It couldn`t jump it at the crank could it....I just hope the one I just got never has your problem, I think I would just give it away....lol...
Good luck with it....
I thought that`s what it sounded like....
Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartracing View Post
It almost sounds like when a car jumps timing....I know you checked it, but........It couldn`t jump it at the crank or cam could it....I just hope the one I just got never has your problem, I think I would just give it away....lol...
Good luck with it....
DOUBLE POST SORRY

Last edited by stuartracing; 03-12-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: DOUBLE POST
Old 03-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
So glad to hear it's running! I've been thinking about the whole jumped timing thing and how we thought if it jumped at the cam you'd think only that half of the motor wouldn't run. But in retrospect, it's kinda obvious that if one cam were to skip, the belt would retension out the slack and effectively put both cams out by half a tooth. Something that wouldn't be totally noticeable from looking at the timing marks alone... You'd really have to count the teeth between both cams and the crank sprocket to be sure.

It's a shame no one thought of that before paying for the diag. But at least it's running!
Damn I know man.... if i just would have looked under that right timing cover first lol..... the funny part is the drivers side cam and crank pulley were timed perfectly so I just ASSUMED it was ok But the important thing is its back now. Thanks again everyone on this forum for the help with this thing, and a special thanks to you Scott who without your help and spare pulleys id still be stuck in reno Nicest guy ive met in reno in a long time man and I owe you a favor!

The trip from reno to orange county and then to victorville went great...the car somehow got nearly 30 mpg and the engine ran flawlessly..... i just have to take care of the rear bearing (wooooooooo) and wheel vibration. Small potatoes considering lol

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:55 AM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

I've noticed that taking a car from Reno down to CA usually results in great milage for two reasons. One, it's mostly downhill. And two, if the car has leaned out trying to adapt to the high altitude, once you get down to sea level you get great mileage until you push the car and it's forced to pull timing and add fuel.

We used to go over the hill to sacramento for dyno days and stock STis would put down 240hp at the wheels on a Mustang dyno (which is like 20hp higher than the locals). Of course you had to worry about pinging, and you'd only get 1 or 2 pulls in before the car would dial back a bit. But it sure did piss off the californians who thought they got crap cars!
Old 03-12-2009, 02:12 AM
One teal and One yellow

Glad you make it back to the road now.

So it's the left turn + pot holes to cause this?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 03-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX View Post
Glad you make it back to the road now.

So it's the left turn + pot holes to cause this?
Oh yeah!!! Sorry I forgot to mention the freak accident that made this happen......

The outer dust ring on my lower smooth idler on the pass side popped off when I hit the pothile, and was caught by the belt and ran between the belt and pass side cam gear, causing it to jump timing by about 10 teeth. Was a freak accident that it had popped off and had actually landed on the tooth side of the belt to be swept up and eaten, and then caused the jumped timing. I think I still have the dust ring ill post a pic in a little bit. Bad luck to be sure!

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Oh yeah!!! Sorry I forgot to mention the freak accident that made this happen......

The outer dust ring on my lower smooth idler on the pass side popped off when I hit the pothile, and was caught by the belt and ran between the belt and pass side cam gear, causing it to jump timing by about 10 teeth. Was a freak accident that it had popped off and had actually landed on the tooth side of the belt to be swept up and eaten, and then caused the jumped timing. I think I still have the dust ring ill post a pic in a little bit. Bad luck to be sure!
That is just too weird!! Glad she's back running!!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-12-2009, 12:48 PM

What are the odds?

This form is like a big family! One person in throuble, people jump in to try to help and all the rest are pulling for success!

Great to hear what happened but a how-to on this occurrence for future "outer dust ring-timing belt" collisions... Probably not!

Glad you got home safe
Keith