Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-20-2009, 01:13 PM

Harmonic Balancer/Pulley/Timing belt questions

The pulleys on my car were making noise. Then one day the pulley AC bearing siezed. I decided to look at power stearing bearing and it felt rough. Then I noticed my Harmonic balancer was loose. Further examination and the key (Crank to Harmonic balancer) was broken.

I have seen part numbers on the pully bearings but I can't find the thread now.

I have been waiting for the funds to replace the timing belt and water pump because I do not know the service history of the car. Currently the car has 150000 miles.

How important is it to replace all the pulleys when doing a timing belt replacement? Are the ebay kits any good? I would rather have a Subaru water pump.

Sorry I am so wordy...Thanks for the help.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:13 PM

Re: Harmonic Balancer/Pulley/Timing belt questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstSVX View Post
I have been waiting for the funds to replace the timing belt and water pump because I do not know the service history of the car. Currently the car has 150000 miles.

How important is it to replace all the pulleys when doing a timing belt replacement? Are the ebay kits any good? I would rather have a Subaru water pump.

Sorry I am so wordy...Thanks for the help.
The ebay kits from Washington state are excellent!

150,000 miles replacement of the belt-pulleys-water pump not mandatory but could be at any time. Would probably be a good time now...

My opinion...
Keith
Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Im from Reno also, in SoCal at the moment though. As far as the water pump goes.... do it! Mine seized a couple weeks ago and tore up my timing belt and one of my cam pulleys. As far as the crank key, maybe Tom can field that one. When I did my timing belt, I just spun all the timing pulleys to make sure they were smooth. The gear ones are free spinning, but the smooth idlers have good resistance to hand spinning. If you have the funds, get the kit that includes all the idlers and water pump as a set, around $350. If not, you should be ok for now to do the timing belt and water pump.... and handle the crankshaft key thing at the same time. Youll probably want to do the power steering pump too since that belt also spins the alternator. Good luck and im sure you'll find lots of answers here.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:32 AM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Woah, another Reno resident? It's like we're taking over the joint lately.

I just resealed my engine in Jan and decided only to replace the one idler that was in obvious need of replacing. But now I regret not just biting the bullet and doing them all while I had everything apart.

Sure enough, less than a month later, I'm hearing bearing whine from the front of the motor. I guess idlers with 221k miles on them don't like it when you clean them up and reinstall them. The cleaning probably just drove dirt into the bearings.

So I've got the rest of the idlers on order, and I'll be pulling the timing belt next weekend to swap 'em out. At least this time the motor isn't going to be covered with sludge since I spent like 15 hours cleaning it last time!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:41 PM

I see a lot of these cars around Reno! I love it. But it makes me really sad when I see them in Pick-N-Pull.

I just sold my truck...yeah now I have some money to spend on the SVX! Looks like I might do the reseal while I am at it. Hopefully I can stop it peeing on my driveway.

sperry, where do you buy your idlers?

Jason
Old 02-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Caution on the kits! The timing belt with idlers is a "good buy". I'd pass on the kit that includes the water pump, as there have been multiple issues with non-Subie factory water pumps.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
I see a lot of these cars around Reno! I love it. But it makes me really sad when I see them in Pick-N-Pull.
Seriously?! The one in Sparks?? Id love to find a few misc parts for mine at pick n pull when I get back.

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Seriously?! The one in Sparks?? Id love to find a few misc parts for mine at pick n pull when I get back.
I got my 4.44 tranny from D&D. I got my rearend from Airport Auto Wreckers. The guys at D&D are awesome, they're both knowledgable and helpful. I wasn't at all impressed by he guys at Airport, not so much. I don't think either places have a complete SVX though.

As far as buying the idlers, I've got a great relationship w/ the parts people at Lithia after perpetually buying parts for the racecar and now the SVX so the do what they can to match online prices, so I buy most my stuff straight from the dealer. But I also use subaruparts.com as well.

Last edited by sperry; 02-21-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
I got my 4.44 tranny from D&D. I got my rearend from Airport Auto Wreckers. The guys at D&D are awesome, they're both knowledgable and helpful. I wasn't at all impressed by he guys at Airport, not so much. I don't think either places have a complete SVX though.

As far as buying the idlers, I've got a great relationship w/ the parts people at Lithia after perpetually buying parts for the racecar and now the SVX so the do what they can to match online prices, so I buy most my stuff straight from the dealer. But I also use subaruparts.com as well.
Yeah Airport guys were complete asses when I used to go there for toyota truck parts.... they horde all the salvage toyota trucks and charge exorbinate prices for used parts. Plus the guys there have attitudes, most shops know not to deal with them. I can deal with the extra time for cheaper Pick n pull parts, if the car hasnt been raped already I actually found some great tools there some poor sap left in the back seat of a honda. I was at the new Carson one not too long ago for a wheel, it sits on a hill and its a lonnnng walk to the back 9, but the cars seem to be a bit fresher than Sparks.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the tip Bill.

There was a SVX in Sparks about a month ago. From the registration thread.

Quote:
I saw this one at Pick-n-Pull. The timing belt broke. I went back to grab some parts and it was gone.

Year:92

Trim: LS-L

Drive: AWD

Color: Silver

VIN:JF1CX3534NH100792

Manufacture Date: 05/91

Current mileage:?
The car didn't look too bad...well the interior wasn't too good either. Only a few parts were missing when I saw it...MAF, Dash, Side windows, some suspension parts.

There was another in the Mound House Pick-N-Pull about 8 months ago. I didn't see the car but a friend told me about it.

Sperry...that is good you are in with Lithia. They told me 3X list for a power steering hose! F that.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Its funny, I still remember when most of the Lithias used to be Dick Donnellys, and youd see that guy every other commercial feeling up some used car to sell to finance his retirement. That was back in the day...

I actually bought an A1 Cardone waterpump for mine, was about $50 so we'll see how long it lasts. I have had pretty good luck with them so far, and even if it craps out, timing belt/water pumps on the subie HO are a cakewalk. Im not sure how much of a PITA the HB key will be, but im curious to find out in case it happens to me...

Old 02-22-2009, 12:41 AM

FYI for the Reno guys, I run a local Subaru enthusiasts club. We meet every Thursday evening at Tamarack Junction. Most the people that come out have Imprezas, so it would be cool if there was more than just my SVX. Check out our local forums: http://www.seccs.org/forums

/hijack
Old 02-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Thats cool, ill give you a heads up whenever I get back up there. I want to get my car painted first though..... the SoCal sun has roasted the clearcoat off my ebony in spots, and I dont want to be driving the crappiest looking car Damn I miss it there, for the most part Victorville is pretty much a dump in comparison....

Old 02-23-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
FYI for the Reno guys, I run a local Subaru enthusiasts club. We meet every Thursday evening at Tamarack Junction. Most the people that come out have Imprezas, so it would be cool if there was more than just my SVX. Check out our local forums: http://www.seccs.org/forums

/hijack
We are driving to Reno the first week in may. Please PM me about a contact #?

Keith
Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

MMMPH sorry OP, me and Sperry appear to have ripped your thread out from under you Did you end up buying an idler set/water pump? And what did you do about your crankshaft pulley?? (Harmonic balancers are absent on HO engines, not needed)