Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > FAQs, How To's, & Vendors > Vendors, Service, & Parts

Old 03-08-2009, 02:43 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Re: AWD's Bolt-in Cat-back Exhaust

I bottomed out the car in a construction zone late at night. Now they make a really bad grinding sound.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-17-2009, 08:24 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
Here's my review:

I was in NJ for work yesterday and met up with Mike621 for lunch. I had an opportunity to hear the exhaust first hand, and was very impressed. It has a very nice sound which is different from any other SVX exhaust I've heard. It's very subtle and smooth. I'd say it's probably what the exhaust SHOULD have sounded like from the factory. Think 6 Cylinder Infiniti.

Keep up the good work, guys.
How would you compare it to the stebro on your old 95 emerald?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 05-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
I got the same tips as the Claret on the right - they just aren't installed yet in the video.
Thanks again AWD!
What model tips are those?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:06 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

They are Magnaflow tips, but I am unsure what the model is.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Jordan

Tom, how long is the resonator you use for this setup, and what is the benefit vs. not having one in its place?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Just a stainless bullet single in dual out transverse... You can find them if you look, or you can buy the components through us directly if that feeds you desires... The muffler is $99+shipping

Tom
I'm interested in purchasing the Bullet muffler and possibly resonator from you, and have my shop plumb it. What diameter inlet and outlets do the muffler and resonator have?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:13 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX Maxximus View Post
I'm interested in purchasing the Bullet muffler and possibly resonator from you, and have my shop plumb it. What diameter inlet and outlets do the muffler and resonator have?
If I remember correctly, its 2.5 all around. I have the Bullet mufflers on the shelf in the shop.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:09 PM

Quick question on this set-up. Does this end up replacing the stock resonator that is the source for the nasty rattling that the SVX is notorious for? I'm probably going to order this, but I need to know if its going to get rid of my rattle, or if I need to do more work to address that.

Thanks in advance for the input!
Old 07-14-2009, 12:16 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeJaye View Post
Quick question on this set-up. Does this end up replacing the stock resonator that is the source for the nasty rattling that the SVX is notorious for? I'm probably going to order this, but I need to know if its going to get rid of my rattle, or if I need to do more work to address that.

Thanks in advance for the input!
This will replace the stock midpipe and resonator.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:12 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Just a friendly reminder that the days of the Bullet muffler are limited, and we only have a few left here. If anyone is thinking about this setup, I HIGHLY recommend it, as I have it on my personal car at present.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:43 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Just a friendly reminder that the days of the Bullet muffler are limited, and we only have a few left here. If anyone is thinking about this setup, I HIGHLY recommend it, as I have it on my personal car at present.
You get that dyno time to see any number changes? I can say that I've heard the Stebro in person on Ridered777's car and when my muffler was disconnnected actually sounded if possible better than the Stebro. That cat rattle I just recently started to get but I thought it was the heat sheilds as my father's Outback started sounding like that within two years of having it(99' Outback). I've been tempted to use a set of 05 LGT cans I have to open up to a true dual exhaust but the cans would barely fit if I do it. I'd just like to see some number changes to justify spending money on the car sounding "cool" when breaking the muffler could result in sounding just as good.
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 07-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf View Post
You get that dyno time to see any number changes? I can say that I've heard the Stebro in person on Ridered777's car and when my muffler was disconnnected actually sounded if possible better than the Stebro. That cat rattle I just recently started to get but I thought it was the heat sheilds as my father's Outback started sounding like that within two years of having it(99' Outback). I've been tempted to use a set of 05 LGT cans I have to open up to a true dual exhaust but the cans would barely fit if I do it. I'd just like to see some number changes to justify spending money on the car sounding "cool" when breaking the muffler could result in sounding just as good.
-Gaddis
Sometimes it is less about the 5 wheel horse you MIGHT see with any cat-back, and more about replacing the rotting piece of metal under your car. It looks great, sounds great, and will not fall apart within the next year like most exhausts I have seen from the NE. So you can do whatever you like with your exhaust, break a muffler, cut a pipe off, cut the muffler open. That doesn't help the fact that the exhaust is old, rusted, and rattling around. This is a solid replacement for your stock system. It will not gain you any power, as NO cat-back will gain you any power. It will however flow better as long as the restrictive parts of the exhaust are addressed

Tom
Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
. It will not gain you any power, as NO cat-back will gain you any power. It will however flow better as long as the restrictive parts of the exhaust are addressed

Tom
No catback will gain you any power? How do you explain all the dyno results from a zillion different companies claiming their catback systems showing results? Only a marketing gimmack? If that was so then all those companies could be sued for false advertising and making false claims about their products. Are you saying companies like Pacesetter, Borla, Bassani, Magnaflow, etc are just selling snake oil? Now I know adding a catback will change the sound, that's not an issue, but to say to catbacks do not add any power is absurd.

Has there been any dyno of an SVX before and after a catback system? There may not be anything signifigant with a catback gains on the SVX with a catback as a general rule of thumb (I forget where I heard it though) is it takes about 5whp to start to "feel" a gain of any kind. Isn't the whole point of adding an exhaust system (catback or full) is to remove restrictions and smooth out bends so that exhaust can exit faster so you can have more usable power?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2daniel1981 View Post
No catback will gain you any power? How do you explain all the dyno results from a zillion different companies claiming their catback systems showing results? Only a marketing gimmack? If that was so then all those companies could be sued for false advertising and making false claims about their products. Are you saying companies like Pacesetter, Borla, Bassani, Magnaflow, etc are just selling snake oil? Now I know adding a catback will change the sound, that's not an issue, but to say to catbacks do not add any power is absurd.

Has there been any dyno of an SVX before and after a catback system? There may not be anything signifigant with a catback gains on the SVX with a catback as a general rule of thumb (I forget where I heard it though) is it takes about 5whp to start to "feel" a gain of any kind. Isn't the whole point of adding an exhaust system (catback or full) is to remove restrictions and smooth out bends so that exhaust can exit faster so you can have more usable power?
Yes that is the point of a new cat-back. But the bigger problem is, with the SVX specifically in mind is that the restriction in the exhaust is further up-stream before the cat and within the heads. So you should not see any realistic gain with any cat-back.

Just to add, notice that all the companies selling their HP adding cat-backs will say results will vary. I use the same disclaimer with my intakes. As results will vary for any application. BTW you will never feel anything less than 20whp increase. ESP with an auto. Even 20 whp is not noticable unless the person is very familiar with the car. 5 hp is less of a difference than having a golf bag in the trunk

Tom
Old 07-19-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Yes that is the point of a new cat-back. But the bigger problem is, with the SVX specifically in mind is that the restriction in the exhaust is further up-stream before the cat and within the heads. So you should not see any realistic gain with any cat-back.

Just to add, notice that all the companies selling their HP adding cat-backs will say results will vary. I use the same disclaimer with my intakes. As results will vary for any application. BTW you will never feel anything less than 20whp increase. ESP with an auto. Even 20 whp is not noticable unless the person is very familiar with the car. 5 hp is less of a difference than having a golf bag in the trunk

Tom
I'm sure with these companies "Results will vary" does not mean that if someone adds it to a car they will see nothing on the dyno, call the company and the company claim "results will vary, sorry you saw nothing, tough luck, no refunds."

And the heads are usually the most restrictive part on any car. If you increase the exit of an exhaust you will see something gained, now granted not nearly as much as doing a full exhaust with headwork, but you will see something.

When I had my car before the SVX, I added a full exhaust, CAI, and UDP. I dynoed a 12whp gain over stock, and trust me, you could feel the difference, anyone that rode with me before and after and that I didn't tell about the mods said the car felt faster. And it was an automatic. Yes this may be an exception because it was a low power car to begin with, but you said
Quote:
you will never feel anything less than 20whp increase. ESP with an auto.
and here we are. It happened and it could be felt.

Plus again I hear that for every 10lbs of weight you remove from a car is the equivalent about 1hp, now granted that this cant be seen on a dyno, so your golf bag reference is irrelevant as that has to do with more of a power to weight ratio.

Am I nitpicking? Maybe some but it is just when something is said as an absolute and exceptions can be found, I want to clarify it as a general rule and not an absolute

Last edited by y2daniel1981; 07-19-2009 at 07:07 PM.