Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2008, 01:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
Need Opinions Svx Vs Land Rover Asap!!!

anyone here have any input on the svx vs a landrover?

i got offered a trade for a pretty nice lifted (among other 4x4 stuff) landrover. its a 95 with a 97 engine in it. rebuilt transmission also. it supposedly has 50k miles on engine and trans. it has upgraded drive shafts from a 4x4 shop in denver, ill just post what the guy told me lol:

milage is 146,000 on body. with around 50,000 on a newer fuel injected v8. with a air intake. came out of a wrecked 97 disco.. the trans was rebuilt before i go it. i have no documentation. but it has around 50,000 on it..
Shifts really smooth. the transfer case shifts great.. new rear end. along with new rear locking differential. the tires have a little more the 1/2 tread and they are heavy duty mud rovers. so they actually last awhile. and there running on 15inch beadlocks i think. not real sure. the beadlocks along are 500 or so each. true beadlocks.. the interior is pretty good. most of the wear is on the driver seat. so it has a seat cover. and i just bought a brand new seat cover to match it for the Passenger seat. the rear bench seat is great. i keep it down or out of the car most of the time.. the 2 rear seats are never used so they are great. the extior is rhino lined and is great. has a few chips here and there.. but is still good.. the paint under the rhino line is great.. it has dual sunroofs. cruise controll. leath seats.. the driver and passenger can controll there heat seperatly. has custom front and rear bumpers for better approach angles. its a great rig. and was desighned for major off road. but i never took it offroad. still has the sway bar on the front so its great for dd.

let me know what you guys think. is this worth it? i mean i love my svx and if i do trade i KNOW ill get another one in the near future, so anyone have any personal input? thanks!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 04:06 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: Need Opinions Svx Vs Land Rover Asap!!!

Although I have a certain fondness for the Land Rovers, I would suggest against the trade due to reliability problems.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

A land rover is about as reliable as a 70s Jag. I hope you have a good job. Normal upkeep on one is in the $2000 a year range (for maint and average repairs). Oh best part about that number is that's for a NEW LR.

I spent some time working on the LR account at Manheim AA. They are simply the worst vehicles sold here today. Their electrical system sucks, over 80% would kill their batteries just sitting for a week. Their brake system is ungodly expensive. Rotors and pads you're talking $1000!

My friend who still works at Manheim just got rid of his NOS 04 Disco as his term was up. Over that time he put 30k on a brand new vehicle and it went to the dealership 12 times on a flatbed. I rode in it at 10k and every single idiot light on the dash was on.

They're actually quite poor for off roading on top of everthing as the engine isn't up to the task compared to the diesel sold elseware.

Save yourself and walkaway! If you really must get a LR a LR 90 or 110 would be a much better choice, it'll actually appriciate in value and won't leave you penniless. There is also a company (can't recall the name) that refurbishes top to bottom the early Series Rovers. Granted it was 10 years ago I read the article but in was very reasonable money for what you got back.

If you need a 4wd to go 4 wheeling you'll be much happier with a (shutter to say) Cheep Cherokee.

BTW I'm with Mike, I too have a certain fondess for 'em but I also know I'd never buy one for the reasons above!
Old 10-10-2008, 04:43 PM

Registered SVX

My dad has both 1997 and 2002 Range rover, and they are great trucks, same goes for the discovery. There is quite a bit more off road support for the discoveries, however they are not as good offroad stock as the range rover. The thing you need to look out for in the Land rover engines from those years is slipped liners in the engine. That truck should have the 3.9 V8i if it was from a 1997. The 3.9 is a good engine, however it does have its quirks. The 4.0 is less prone to issues, however if cared for they both will last forever. (our 1997 4.0 engine has 200k on it) The main issue with reliability on these cars is the electronics and transfer cases. The electronics fail because they are from the UK, plain and simple. However a good amount of preventative maintenance goes a long way. Do some reasesarch for help with this. The Borg warner transfer case should be in that truck, which is a good transfer case in general, however the main chain is prone to stretching around 100-150k miles. They are about $400 for the chain, and about 800 to have put in. The main thing to look for on the older discoveries is the rust in the passenger door on the body. For some reason they always rust there. The lower edge of the tailgate is also an issue for rust sometimes. The transmissions are not an issue like on the SVXi. Other than that I cannot tell you anything else. All cars have their issues, and if you are used to the SVX, you will be fine with the rover. I have a complete dealer service manual if you need it as well, complete with ALL repairs, electrical diagrams, ect ect.
Joe-
Old 10-10-2008, 06:03 PM

well, someone is looking at the rover today so he will get back to me if it doesnt sell. the bad thing is that im not close to the guy so i cant really go check it out, i mean i can but if i end up deciding against it i spent that much money in gas.

anyway, i did some research about them and it made me debate even more about whether this is something to go for or not. i mean, with the svx i know what needs 2 be done to it, i know whats wrong with my particular car and i dont know if i want to go through the process of figuring out what needs to be done on another used car. this would apply to any used car i would be looking at.

i am still debating if i should do it however because it would be nice to have a sweet 4x4. although i do have the landcruiser which i know is alot better than the rover but id have to get that fixed.

we will see what happens i guess
Old 10-10-2008, 06:47 PM

How about importing a Land Rover SVX to not have to make a hard choice....
Old 10-10-2008, 09:28 PM

haha yeah i wish. well the guy needs cash more than he needs a subaru (what is he thinking?!?! haha) so he is getting back to me monday if it doesnt sell by then.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:03 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
How about importing a Land Rover SVX to not have to make a hard choice....
any thing special bout an Land Rover SVX?
some one told me they had an svx engine in it? that true or was that person wrong?
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 10-11-2008, 10:11 AM

Its a normal Defender with fancy bits tossed on. To me it looks alot fancier than the normal ones, but really thats like saying you tarted up a hummer or army jeep. Not too many people have the use for a luxobarge hardcore offroader.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:51 AM

Registered SVX

I've had 2 Disco's. A 96' and my current 99' Series II. The 96' had problems with the sunroofs, swivel balls, and power steering box. I still see it running around town. My 99' has worked out well so far. It had 39K on it when I bought it and now has about 82k on it and I haven't had any major problems as of yet.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 10-13-2008, 07:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 View Post
i am still debating if i should do it however because it would be nice to have a sweet 4x4. although i do have the landcruiser which i know is alot better than the rover but id have to get that fixed.

we will see what happens i guess
Sorta depends on what your intentions are. If you're buying it because of the pimp daddy'o factor then go for it. If you want to get into wheeling in CO then buy it for that. I can think of other more reliable SUVs than a LR but you have to scratch that itch and I know how it that goes! The Solihull Society in DEN is a great resource for LRs. Lots of good people in that club.

No doubt that your wallet will see the huge impact on maint costs and the cost of parts can be eye opening if not down right frightening. But, with anything, a creative person can buy some things made for domestic engines (the 3.9 engine is old Buick design).

The 3.9 v8 Lucas/LR ECU is an anemic engine at your elevation. As soon as you put larger tires, lifts, armor, etc, you'll easily be outrun by a three year old on a tricycle. The 4.0 with Bosch ECU is better but the 4.6 is even better for power.

I'm a wheeler and will only buy coil sprung, solid front axle SUVs. I had a '91 RRC (POS but loved it), currently have two FZJ80 landcruisers (outstanding rigs) and a '95 Grand Cherokee 5.2L (holy cow does it have balls). The discos are more refined and typically tend to be more, and I use this word loosely, reliable than the old classic RRs.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 10-13-2008, 07:26 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I've ridden in a 4.0L Discovery when my boss owned one. It was pretty slow accelerating, so definitely be willing to accept that it wont be fast.

One time he lost complete control on ice and slid backwards into a ditch right into a tree. He was able to drive himself out of the snowy ditch and drag part of the tree back out wtih him. I was quite impressed its offroad capability. From what I hear they are also relatively safe.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 10-13-2008, 01:11 PM

my dad does have 2 buddies that are LR technicians, and they always say how surprisingly amazing they are offroad. they have put them to the test many times and they said they have done really well and have done things they didnt think they could do. they however would not buy one just because of the price tag, they dont think they are worth that much.

they seem to be good rigs, but at the same time ive got a 72 toyota landcruiser sitting at my house with a blown engine that i KNOW is a great rig. (long story about the engine, it was rebuilt before we got it and blew a few years ago because of a faulty part).

anyway, it looks like the deal might not happen after all, but it could. everyday that goes by makes it harder though. i keep thinking of reasons to keep my svx lol.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 View Post
. i keep thinking of reasons to keep my svx lol.
I was in the same boat as you couple of weeks ago. I wanted to sell my '92 (even put it in CL) and wanted an Outback. As I was test driving the '02 OB, I decided not to sell my beloved Pearlie. Child seat be damned, my Pearlie ain't gonna be sold for a while.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 10-14-2008, 09:39 AM

well it snowed here today which makes it even harder for me. i love my svx when it snows. i just enjoy driving it. i think the reason i was considering it was because where im living now i dont have to drive it as much (which is good, less gas, maintanance, etc, itll last longer). but when i do get behind the wheel of it all the reasons why i bought the car are back in my head and i think about the first time i drove it. man i love my svx.