SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-04-2008, 05:38 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Bad o2 make the car earthquake shake?

So after riding around for an hour or so.... the SVX sits parked for about 35 minutes while I go into the store. I come out, start it up and the entire car is shaking really really bad. chug chug chug chug chug....

Great... so finally the light comes up and the code gives me 32 - oxygen sensor... yet it seems like a spark plug is misfiring?

Should I just go ahead and replace the o2 sensors and then take it from there? Also, after driving it home (9 miles) I pulled the codes again then it gave me 32 and 56. Would the o2 sensor and driving on a bad one result in the code 56 maybe?

I don't see anything wrong with the exhaust or anything else so I dunno? Thanks for any input.... I've had the new radiator installed for a day, happy to be driving it again and then this pops up.... meh.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
Re: Bad o2 make the car earthquake shake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post
So after riding around for an hour or so.... the SVX sits parked for about 35 minutes while I go into the store. I come out, start it up and the entire car is shaking really really bad. chug chug chug chug chug....

Great... so finally the light comes up and the code gives me 32 - oxygen sensor... yet it seems like a spark plug is misfiring?

Should I just go ahead and replace the o2 sensors and then take it from there? Also, after driving it home (9 miles) I pulled the codes again then it gave me 32 and 56. Would the o2 sensor and driving on a bad one result in the code 56 maybe?

I don't see anything wrong with the exhaust or anything else so I dunno? Thanks for any input.... I've had the new radiator installed for a day, happy to be driving it again and then this pops up.... meh.
Its easy enough task to do. If you have the cash for O2 Sensor then get and replace it (sensors don't last for ever)

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 08-04-2008, 05:56 PM

Registered SVX

That's the plan... but in the meantime my mind is still in wonder as to if this is actually the root cause and would make the car run that badly...
Old 08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
That's the plan... but in the meantime my mind is still in wonder as to if this is actually the root cause and would make the car run that badly...
Well has it done it again? Code 56 is EGR Valve stuck open or closed. I had my car shack really bad once on me car was cold and I tried to push it a tad bit and came to stop and it shock its self bad, and Car cut off. I let it sit for a min and started up fine and haven't had a problem since. Could have caused a problem but i'm not an expert I'm sure someone else will tell you.

Read here :P
If the problem repeats start with EGR valve then move to O2 Sensor it shouldn't cause it to shake like that.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 08-04-2008, 06:13 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Well has it done it again? Code 56 is EGR Valve stuck open or closed. I had my car shack really bad once on me car was cold and I tried to push it a tad bit and came to stop and it shock its self bad, and Car cut off. I let it sit for a min and started up fine and haven't had a problem since. Could have caused a problem but i'm not an expert I'm sure someone else will tell you.

Read here :P
If the problem repeats start with EGR valve then move to O2 Sensor it shouldn't cause it to shake like that.
Well, that code hasn't came back... only the the 32 came back up after resetting the computer which is why I was asking... but yea, let it sit over night and starting back up it just shakes terrible and runs like crap.

Thanks for the link!

Last edited by Subix; 08-04-2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: e
Old 08-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Well, that code hasn't came back... only the the 32 came back up after resetting it all which is why I was asking... but yea, let it sit over night and starting back up it just shakes terrible and runs like crap.
I think its time to replace that sensor.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:22 PM

I would do the EGR first Would also make sure the timing belt hasn't slipped.
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 08-04-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

^^ THat is what I suggested :P Reading back now it might have came off as confusing.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
^^ THat is what I suggested :P Reading back now it might have came off as confusing.
Sorry Guitar picker!
I am running around like a chicken with it's head cut off and didn't have time to read the stuff!

Take care,
Keith
Old 08-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

as suggested, check the egr valve to be sure it is closing... You could simply just reach under while the car is running and try to move the valve with your finger to see if it changes the car's idle.

Tom
Old 08-05-2008, 09:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Quote:

Mine will do that sometimes, if I don't let it run for at least 10 seconds in the morning before pulling onto the road. Stop, and turn it off for 30 seconds and restart. It runs fine after that.
Yes, it feels like a plug is fouling to me.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 08-05-2008, 08:12 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
as suggested, check the egr valve to be sure it is closing... You could simply just reach under while the car is running and try to move the valve with your finger to see if it changes the car's idle.

Tom
As ridiculous as this may sound (I'm really not a car mechanical person by any means... this appears to be changing quickly though) where exactly is the EGR valve located? I've looked at parts online and I've tried to pinpoint it but I'm no good with this stuff, honestly.

Where is the general location/area of the EGR?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:22 PM

might look under the intake manifold. I think it might be there. Pretty sure
Old 08-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

It is actually under the main wiring loom on the rear passenger side of the engine.

Tom
Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
It is actually under the main wiring loom on the rear passenger side of the engine.

Tom
Thanks Tom!
Always wondered where that rascal is!

Appreciated,
Keith