Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-11-2008, 01:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
New calipers/pads/rotors, now God awful screeching!

I just finished installing a set of cryo'd rotors and pads with brand new rebuilt calipers from brakewarehouse.com. Functionally everything is working fine, however, there is a god awful screeching coming from the brakes both when applied and not applied.

This screeching was present before and I thought the culprit was a sticky caliper piston, however, the screeching is still present and even more prominent. What could cause a screeching sound even when the brakes around applied? The rotors are slotted could i have them installed wrong? I am lost, b/c i've done this job before but the results were much different...any thoughts/advice appreciated. Thanks, Chris
Old 05-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Check the little metal clips that go between the caliper brace and the pads. They are probably rubbing on the rotor.

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 05-11-2008, 02:21 PM

Dustin, thanks for the tip. Just got back in from removing the metal clips...they are what was definately creating that creaking noise...however a new problem!!

Because the metal clips are removed there is slack/play between the pad and the caliper brace, I can actually poke my finger through the rim and move pad back and forth...in addition, when driving whenever i go over the slightest bump i can actually hear what i believe to be the pads hitting up against the caliper brace. Very embarassing and uncomforting when driving!

I know shotgunblade has these installed, have you had any problems such as these?
Old 05-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I think you removed the wrong clips... The metal clips the stand between the pad edges and the caliper need to stay. Dustin was saying make sure the "noise makers" on the pad themselves were not touching the rotor. You descriptions are a little tough to follow. If you could provide pictures of what you are talking about it would help us understand a little better

Tom
Old 05-11-2008, 03:16 PM

Tom, the metal clips were the culprits of the screetching noise...metal clips meaning the sliver clips that snap onto the actual caliper bracket. They were rubbing up against the rotor.

However, now that the metal clips are removed there is a lot of free play allowing the pad to jossel around while driving.

I have not removed the clip on the actual pad itself, doesn't seem to be an issue, although i'll try that as well.

Even still I am still getting a rotational rubbing sound of some sort, ideally i'd like it to sound like my 96 which is completely silent in this regard...

Either way i understand it is difficult to relate this without pictures...I'll have them up by tomorrow night.

Thanks again everyone! Chris
Old 05-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
You don't remove the clips, just bend the tab parts that are rubbing.

Dustin

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 05-11-2008, 07:41 PM

I'll try that and report back tomorrow...dustin are you speaking from experience?
Old 05-11-2008, 08:25 PM

You can't.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
I'll try that and report back tomorrow...dustin are you speaking from experience?
Remove anything that belongs in the break system. Just get enough information to do it right! If the break pads start squeaking would you just remove them and try to drive without them???

They will work great when put together correctly!

Hang in there
Old 05-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Quote:
Yes

Marisa (cozykat) replaced her brakes acouple months ago and she had the same problem, that was the fix. We just pulled the metal clips and bent the tab away from the rotor so it would still hold the pad in place but not contact anything.

Dustin

My Locker

Last edited by odepaj; 05-11-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post
Yes

Marisa's (cozykat) replaced her brakes acouple months ago and she had the same problem, that was the fix. We just pulled the metal clips and bent the tab away from the rotor so it would still hold the pad in place but not contact anything.

Dustin
Yeah, it was the most annoying sound in the world... I wanted to cut the tabs off but dustin convinced me to just bend them... either option will work.. but you do need to leave them on so the pad is not slipping around.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 05-11-2008, 09:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Check the backing plates also. When I did my front axels, I grabbed both of these at some point, and they were rubbing the rotors at the bottom area. Moved them back to correct, and all was gone. Not the clips that time.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 05-12-2008, 05:53 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
No problems with the Pads and Rotors I got from OT( svxfiles). Just a plug for OT
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 05-22-2008, 10:46 AM

Yeah thinking now I should have gone that route...but anyway, I got the screeching to stop, I had to shave the middle part of the pad clip (part that clips onto the caliper support, to clear up any confusion)...however, now the braking is behaving as if the rotors are warped...I did the break in procedures, firm stops from 70 - 0 as recommended by brakewarehouse. Not to mention now that there is an obnoxious (sp?) smell of burning metal after driving the car...., also the rotors are extremely hot, to the point that when I touch it with my wet finger it fisses...I am just about ready to take it to a shop and have them do a look over...

Really frustrating that my mom's toyota camry is stopping better than my supposed "performance" rotors and pads, any way I'd appreciate anyone's advice. Thanks, Chris.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:06 PM

If you are referring to...

Quote:
Yeah I got the screeching to stop, I had to shave the middle part of the pad clip (part that clips onto the caliper support, to clear up any confusion)...however, now the braking is behaving as if the rotors are warped.. Thanks, Chris.
the two clips on each end of the brake pads, there is no way they can be scraping on anything with new pads that are installed properly.

If you are describing the attached metal strip that scrapes when the brake pads are worn to a replacement level, on new pads that would be a manufacturing defect. Unlikely but possible

One possibility for the feeling of warped rooters could be that the bearings that support the actuating caliper shaft are worn so much they don't stabilize the caliper when breaking.

Good luck working it out...

Keith