Old 05-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Your statement reading :-

"Just ONE more remark like those quoted above to me and you will be having a time out." most certainly constituted a direct challenge.

Read my remark as you will.

Very seriously and sincerely, Trevor.
Yes it did.

And thank you most kindly for allowing me to interpret your remark as I see fit. This is most unlike your normal self. It is much more usual for you to insist that a statement you make means exactly what you said, and nothing else, nothing more, nothing less.

Perhaps if you could extend this less rigid and intolerant stance to many of the other posts and responses we make when technical matters are being discussed, we would have a lot less friction around here, and our members would get more enjoyment out of asking questions and interacting with this forum.

I maintain that it is at least as important that respondents on this board enjoy themselves as it is for them to get accurate information and diagnosis, this is the SVXWN, not the SAE.

So unless you are determined to fall on your sword and make a case for martyrdom, lighten up and let's get back to normal business for a change.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 05-01-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
The problem which exists as currently proposed, is that taking away (censoring) posts previously accepted without censure from current public view, constitutes the destruction of evidence. The text is no longer available in the event of future/subsequent argument and has been suppressed.

The immediate censorship of objectionable language falls into an entirely different category.
Disrespect falls under this category as well, as it is denoted in the rules. Nothing relevant, and respectful would ever be removed.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:27 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
Disrespect falls under this category as well, as it is denoted in the rules. Nothing relevant, and respectful would ever be removed.
I gather you are lining up to charge me with disrespect. Presenting a problem clearly, accurately and without embellishment, in no way constitutes disrespect.

P.S. When considering this topic, please pay careful attention towards the controversial text which has been addressed to me.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 05-01-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Network Design Administrator

There is no case pending against you. From what I can tell Joe has said his peace, and as of this post so will have I. If you choose to drag this out further, by all means, we will not restrict that. I however, cannot guarantee you will receive a response.

All that Joe was referring to is the History between you and Harvey. We have planned to look for the old threads and clean the mess that should have been cleaned so long ago. Nothing will be deleted, only tucked away. Again, nothing that falls within the posting guidelines shall be removed.

I think is clear we consider this horse dead, and see no further need for action. Hopefully we can get back to the regularly scheduled programming of this wonderful network that serves us all so dearly.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
There is no case pending against you. From what I can tell Joe has said his peace, and as of this post so will have I. If you choose to drag this out further, by all means, we will not restrict that. I however, cannot guarantee you will receive a response.

All that Joe was referring to is the History between you and Harvey. We have planned to look for the old threads and clean the mess that should have been cleaned so long ago. Nothing will be deleted, only tucked away. Again, nothing that falls within the posting guidelines shall be removed.

I think is clear we consider this horse dead, and see no further need for action. Hopefully we can get back to the regularly scheduled programming of this wonderful network that serves us all so dearly.

You have confirmed that you will be removing that which is at present available to me as evidence, in respect of a long overdue correction and apology. This proposed inappropriate action was/is is the very essence of my complaint.

Exactly why is this necessary, other than to protect/appease Harvey? The text has stood the test of time, with no previous negative reaction from members.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-02-2008, 01:15 AM
Phil & Belha

Trevor,

Please don't push them into banning you. Your technical skills have been very helpful to me and many others, as recognised by the award of an STI logo that you graciously declined. Arguing with an admin is a bit like arguing with a policeman, magistrate or anybody else in a position of absolute power. Ultimately it is self-defeating.

Sincerely,
Phil.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 05-02-2008, 03:22 AM

Registered SVX
Thank you Phil,

In the name of fair play and natural justice, I have been willing to give it a go. There is still a place for morals I believe.

Cheers, Trevor.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:22 PM

or maybe with a judge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Trevor,

Please don't push them into banning you. Your technical skills have been very helpful to me and many others, as recognised by the award of an STI logo that you graciously declined. Arguing with an admin is a bit like arguing with a policeman, magistrate or anybody else in a position of absolute power. Ultimately it is self-defeating.

Sincerely,
Phil.
or maybe with a Seatac Washington Judge? better still, you be the Judge.

Just got back from court in a (of course) loosing fiasco about a camera monitored intersection. I contended that the setup at the intersection was a disaster and people approaching the intersection for the first time couldn't cypher it.

My first time down that street on a cold rainy night. I live 25 miles from Seatac. I know, hard to believe in Washington state.

The judge assured me that the intersection was correctly constructed and she had driven there thousands of times without even a smidgen of confusion.

She also shared with me that the hundreds of prier convictions were the right decisions. defendants were rightly so. This is in Seatac Washington $101.00 please and it doesn't go on my record! In all fairness she did say I that I could choose to appeal it, and of course, that was my intention. Fair is fair, right?

The cost to pay the ticket...$101.00

The appeal process...
$200.00 filing fee.
$40.00 administrative fee.
$20.00 fee. (not sure, I missed that one)
sub-total $260.00

I am attaching a graphic of the my approach to the intersection. My graphic is in day lite, taken yesterday. I am going to make a left turn from a left turn lane. No svx in picture Mine is still at the Subaru dealer being tested to find out why it runs rough. (been there for 5 weeks and 5 days) The new Subaru loaner has been a Godsend for us.

There are actually 2 left turn lanes...in addition of the right lane... a total of 3 lanes. four traffic lites for 3 lanes and not one traffic lite in front of either of the 2 right hand lanes.Picture your SVX traveling in second lane from the right edge of the curb... and notice neither of the right 2 lanes have a traffic lite in front of the lanes.

I am asking for counsel as to what course of action I should take. I am attaching a graphic picture taken yesterday. The ticket was issued in January of this year.

Take a quick look and give me your opinion. Should I appeal this puppy?

I wouldn't want to sway your decision unfairly, but I went to court early this morning and 2 hours later after running some errands, went back by the area, and guess what. Big Seatac city truck had already taken down the extra light and was in the process of moving the rest over where they should have been all along. Should have a graphic of their finished project by tomorrow. well need a few crossed fingers for me there. City "workers" you know
(Check out the attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ticket 1 copy.jpg (771.4 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by kwren; 05-02-2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling (of course) LOL
Old 05-14-2008, 07:01 PM

Registered SVX
I haven't been on in a while, time absorbed by one family thing or another, BUT, finding this thread, I thought that I should post my experience as it could be helpful.

My son Jon and I have learned alot about these transmissions, building several in the past two years, 3.70, 4.111s, and 4.444s. We had a modified box working perfectly, amazingly, best ever driven, but made a fatal mistake. To test the 4.11 trans in Jon's car a bit sooner, we put in the fwd fuse. Just couldn't wait. The rear was still 3.545. The transmission was awesome, I drove it several miles up and down the gears. The car worked perfectly with the fwd fuse installed, even though the diffs were different ratio.

Then, I let Jon drive it, he of 16 and little experience. But really, it was my mistake, and the reason you should not risk running with the fwd fuse installed, or letting someone else drive when shaking a car down. I drove the car down a friend's drive. When time to leave, I gave Jon the keys. Excited to have the keys to the ride he worked so hard on, he spun the front wheels turning up the drive. I had told him to NEVER spin the fronts, but, it was easy to do on a steep drive, wheels turned, and without rear wheels engaged. I put him in a bad spot. I jumped in the car, he continued to drive. The next day, I jumped in, put it in D, it would move, barely, just as described in this thread. I dropped it to 1st, and it took off. I asked Jon if it was acting that way the night before, he said yes. He didn't know, thought it was normal. I didn't notice the engine reving more than it should when he was driving for the speed gained. Again, the car would pull solidly in 1, and slip in D, when starting.

So, I did a search, and found a comment about the 1/2 sprag being the difference between powering from a stop in D or 1. Out came the trans and the sprag. I couldn't tell anything by looking at the sprag, but my trans guru of several decades claimed to see a wear pattern or mark indicating that the sprag rollers had gone 'over-center'. Again, not broken, just abused. We tossed in a used sprag from another box, and never had the problem again, ever. Several lessons learned the hard way, all in one.

I believe the sprags are replaced in all Subaru remans. You can't tell by looking at a sprag if it will function as designed. In my experience, learned the hard way, the sprag needs to be replaced to repair the car. In my experience, the sprag is the cause of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
When the lever is moved to D,3,2,1, the manual spool valve opens passages to direct line pressure to the forward clutch, to engage First gear.

In positions 3,2,1, it also engages the over-run clutch.
In position 1, it also engages the Low/Reverse brake, this is the one that prevents the 1/2 one-way clutch from slipping, that is happening in Pearlm30s case. You can see this in WSM book 3, page 31, Manual valve.

I think I have answered Pearlm30 question, I can't add anything else that would help him, so I'll end here.

Harvey.
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 05-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Tech & Almost Lawyer

Wow, what a thread! Quite honestly, I didn't take the time to read through it all. I guess the first thing that popped into my head was "Is this member still having problems?" If so, has any further diagnosis been done? Two things that were not mentioned in the actual technical parts of the thread...

If there's a large amount of metal shavings, there's a good chance that there is some build up of these shaving in the valve body. Debris buildup in the valve body can cause a number of strange and possibly intermittent problems that could point you numerous different directions. This should be resolved by the best course possible. For those that have dug into these transmissions before, you likely already know how to do this. For those that haven't, don't make this your first experience. Take it to a shop.

There was a question as to how/why the sprag could/would slip while cold but be ok hot. The sprag is a source of high heat inside the transmission due to the nature of its operation. Over the course of time and with fluid not always being changed when it should be, it can cause the fluid to become "varnished" to the metal. When cool, this varnish will act much like a varnished wood surface would act with tranny fluid on it. It would be quite slick. As the tranny heats up, however, the varnish becomes less slick and takes on a more sticky consistency.

Overall, I'm 98% positive that if the transmission were taken out and taken apart by a good, experienced, and familiar transmission shop/person that the problem would present itself in the parts.