Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2008, 02:30 AM
SVXtreme

new tire/s?

okay, i know this has probably been asked before(i searched to no avail) What tires do I need to replace when you lose the right rear tire? all tires only have 10k miles.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
Because it is AWD, you need the EXACT same tires on all 4 corners. Most importantly size, but you're supposed to replace all 4 at once to keep the wear even, then rotate em around (front to back, back to front). But with only 10k on the tires, assuming there isn't much wear, I would just buy the same tire and slap it on there.

Don't know which one you need replaced, but I would put then new tire in the rear so that its less noticeable to the diff. Maybe after a bit throw it on the front, because it has more to wear down and fronts wear faster.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
Because it is AWD, you need the EXACT same tires on all 4 corners. Most importantly size, but you're supposed to replace all 4 at once to keep the wear even, then rotate em around (front to back, back to front). But with only 10k on the tires, assuming there isn't much wear, I would just buy the same tire and slap it on there.

Don't know which one you need replaced, but I would put then new tire in the rear so that its less noticeable to the diff. Maybe after a bit throw it on the front, because it has more to wear down and fronts wear faster.
I second everything in this post... If your 10,000 miles are almost all highway and your tires don't look like my Kumho MX's after 12,000 (WORN TO THE CORDS!!!) then replace just that one tire (if it can't be fixed that is)...

** My Kumho's were worn so badly because they are "extreme performance summer" tires. I bought them for Autocrossing and the random 100 miles I'd put on my car in a month. But then I got a job in south Raleigh at PERGO and forgot that you can't drive 25 miles EACH way, EVERYDAY, 6 months on Kumho MX's with -2* camber in the front and -1.5* in the rear without SIGNIFICANT wear taking place. However, I replaced all 4 of them roughly one year after buying them, with only 12,000 miles and 5 Autocrosses on them... Needless to say, there isn't a better performing tire out there for less money (assuming you get them from TireRack.com, $96 each for 225/40/18), because of this, I replaced them with 4 brand new Kumho MX's ... But this time, I had the camber zeroed and the rear toe zeroed... Now the wear is alot better. And I'm not expecting to enter any Autocrosses this year so this will be the test of time for these tires... How long can they last on the road...

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-15-2008, 11:00 AM

I would put the new one on the front...

If the other tires don't have excessive wear. Might be a good idea to find out the amount of thread left on the other tires. If the tires on the other side show a different amount of tread, I would also have the one with the most tread on the front. Tires wear faster on the front so starting off with the new one on the rear will compound the difference in the tires later "down the road". I have done it that way for those reasons with good results. Just a thought..
Good luck,
Keith
Old 02-15-2008, 04:03 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
If the other tires don't have excessive wear. Might be a good idea to find out the amount of thread left on the other tires. If the tires on the other side show a different amount of tread, I would also have the one with the most tread on the front. Tires wear faster on the front so starting off with the new one on the rear will compound the difference in the tires later "down the road". I have done it that way for those reasons with good results. Just a thought..
Good luck,
Keith
Keith I agree and have always done the same.

I would put the new tyre on the front left, this being the side which will scrub the most, as driving on the RHS of the road means tighter RH turns.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-15-2008, 07:03 PM
SVXtreme

thanks for the info guys