How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-23-2002, 07:00 PM
punisher

Buying a Used Vehicle

I've never purchased a used vehicle before, but will be doing so within the next week or so. I know there's more to it then handing the guy the money and him handing me the keys, such as transfer of title and all that good stuff. So aside from the key/money exchange, what else will need to be done? Anyone wanna walk me through it?
Old 05-23-2002, 07:24 PM
smokinsvx

sale

You take the title to your tag office, dmv , or whatever you call it where you get your tags. Pay your taxes there, I know in Oklahoma where I am that if you are a out of stater you pay taxes where you are tagging it. Thats basically it, its the same as buying a new car. Also make sure you get a lien release or the title has no liens on the car. That would be stated on the title in most states.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:32 PM

depends on what you're asking,

but I would recommend you review the info at this site. Tells you a few things about what to ask the seller, gives examples of sales documents, etc. I used his suggestions for a new car purchase and saved myself a few grand on a new car.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com
Old 05-23-2002, 09:45 PM
punisher

We've already agreed to the terms. $5999 for a 94 LSI. He wants a $500 deposit and then he's gonna drive it to Pittsburgh from Philadelphia. I have his name, address and phone number, so everything there checks out. I guess I should have him draw up some kind of a reciept as well. So I'll give him the cash, he'll give me a receipt and the paper work, and then I take the paperwork to the DMV and have it titled in my name?
Old 05-24-2002, 10:57 AM
calmone

i don't know about PA, but in maryland they charge you the 5% titling tax on the blue book for the car UNLESS you have a notarized bill of sale with the purchase price on it. this is true even though the title has a statement on the transfer line that the price is $_____ and you swear under the penalty of perjury it's true. make certain any lien is marked PAID either on the title or there is a seperate lien release for any loan the seller took out when he bought the car.