How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2007, 08:16 AM

Driveshaft Replacement Options

I'm looking to replace my 160,000 mile driveshaft in my 5-speed SVX. I believe mine to be the stock SVX shaft lengthened with an aluminum spacer. After I installed my Gruppe N motor and tranny mounts, I started to hear a loud clunk in the driveline on accelerating away from a stop. I dropped the exhaust and looked around underneath the car yesterday and found that the front u-joints on the driveshaft are worn. My center bearing is also extremely rusty and nasty looking. What are my options? (Yes, I searched for over 2 hours and there is simply no post that lists all of the possibilities in one place, hence this new post)

My options as I understand them:
1. Used driveshaft - I don't want a used one, so let's move on.
2. New SVX driveshaft from Subaruparts.com - Retail $550 ($489 before additional Trish discount) plus $58 shipping. I figure I will be out of pocket around $500 after the SVX.net discount.
3. rebuilt from online vendor - $347 with free shipping of the rebuilt unit to me and free return of the core to them. A plus is that it will have replaceable joints. Here's the link: http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/driveshafts.php
4. Replace the joints myself. Link: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ght=driveshaft. I have a shop press, so this is doable. Since I want to replace the center carrier bearing, that part alone is $164 (Subaruparts.com) plus shipping. That plus the cost of the u-joints plus the time involved makes buying a rebuilt shaft on-line (that comes with a new center bearing and is spin balanced) look like a good deal.
5. From what I remember seeing on the forums (but can't find the post), Legacy outback 5-speed driveshaft will work with minor trimming. Any reason I should get his in place of a new SVX unit since I already have the spacer? I suspect that they will be around the same price from Subaru.
6. Is the stock STI shaft an option (Bobby??)? If so, I'm curious as to the cost of a new STi unit from Subaru. Aluminum Sti shafts are $396 on line (link: http://www.ultrarev.com/product.php?productid=45550), but it is a one piece design. Pros, cons.
7. Buy a rebuilt lengthened from YT. He doesn't have one available at the moment and I was looking at installing it next weekend, if possible.
YT - (Insert shameless plug for your rebuilt, lengthened unit HERE!)

Thanks in advance to all for looking and responding.
We might want to make this a sticky once we have enough definitive replies.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
From the options listed, I would either go with #5 or #7, or check to see if #3 can give a custom length for a small additional charge.

I know that there are a few that have been around for many miles, but I never liked the idea of the extension block....