Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 10-27-2007, 02:26 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
reinforced front top mounts done

I finally finished up a couple pairs of reinforced front mounts for a few customers. Hoping this will keep the Konis from dimpling the hood and improve the stiffness of the mount which would improve handling. The second pair are made up with more filler because I'm expecting severe service conditions on that car. ;-)

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Mychailo:

How much for these guys. It is too late to avoid my first hood dimple, but I can avoid some more. Thanks.

Dan

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 10-27-2007, 04:28 PM

Mychailo I gather the second are for me? They come up real nice what the product you use on them?
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:51 PM
sans SVX

Hi Tony. Yes, that second set is yours. Just sent you an email to catch up on the other things we talked about. The filler is 3M fast curing polyurethane windshield sealant product number 08609. Supposedly, the Shore D durometer rating is 55-60. Its roughly the same durometer as the rubber in the mounts, but since it fills the gap, it will limit compression of the mount.

Dan, I'd be happy to make up a set for you, but its pretty easy to do yourself if you like. The key is to do it in several layers, letting the urethane cure in between applications. If you wanted to try an even stiffer filler material, discussion on the internet is that the PL construction urethane filler available at Home Depot / Lowes / etc has a Shore D of 90 (which is pretty rock hard). Best prices I've seen on Subaru parts is a place I purchase from in the Seattle area. 866-528-5282. Ask for Jason in parts.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Mychailo:

Thanks. So the idea is that you lay in concentrically several thin layers of urethane filler in the existing gap of the stock top mounts, allowing each layer to harden between applications? If so, sounds very easy. Thanks.

Dan

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 10-28-2007, 10:40 AM
sans SVX

Yep, that's it. The set in the upper pic I did in three applications. The lower set was four applications. You'll want to clean the mold release compound off of the rubber beforehand. I taped off the bearings with masking tape prior to washing with dishsoap and the hottest tap water I could find. Nitrile or latex gloves are nice to wear when washing and smoothing the bead.

Visit my locker

Old 10-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Mychailo,
I've been thinking of dropping the strut rod down with a spacer between the GC hat (aka top string retainer) and the bottom of the bearing in the strut mount. There is PLENTY of thread length to fully engage the nut and one could easily lower the adjustment nipple by at least 1/2" to 3/4" and still have everything fully tightened up.

Your thoughts?

Todd
Old 10-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat?? View Post
Mychailo,
I've been thinking of dropping the strut rod down with a spacer between the GC hat (aka top string retainer) and the bottom of the bearing in the strut mount. There is PLENTY of thread length to fully engage the nut and one could easily lower the adjustment nipple by at least 1/2" to 3/4" and still have everything fully tightened up.

Your thoughts?

Todd
Don't use a copper spacer. It is a little weak but a 1/2 inch coupler is the perfect size!.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:13 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat?? View Post
Mychailo,

Your thoughts?

Todd
Definitely possible, but I think even 1/2" is too far. Here are the reasons:

1) The shaft threads may be long, but the engagement length for the bearing is only 0.58" long. The bearing itself is 0.48" tall, so there is a need for at least a 0.1" thick washer, but 1/2"-3/4" seems like too much. Maybe 1/4" thick should be ok.

2) Extending the shaft far down will cause the shaft to bottom out that many inches sooner. The GC upper retainer does block some shaft travel which is regained with a spacer. A smaller thickness spacer might be a good thing to bring back a little more travel. Maybe only for a long travel setup though.

Visit my locker

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 10-30-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:32 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

We're at a 1/2 an inch with no adverse effects on the racer. Its been like that for 2 years. Just don't use copper. Did I say that yet
Old 06-23-2012, 01:39 AM

Registered SVX
Re: reinforced front top mounts done

Bringing up an old thread....

Any long term experience with the reinforced top hats?

Just ordered new top hats (noise is still there, a small play can be felt by yanking a lifted wheel up and down with a crow bar) and with the Koni inserts I am thinking about doing this mod.... the adjusters are awefully close to the hood.

Tapani
Old 06-23-2012, 11:55 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I have a set of the rear ones that he made and they're great.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-23-2012, 01:23 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I have a set of the rear ones that he made and they're great.
Do you have any photos of the rear ones?

Thanks,

Tapani
Old 06-23-2012, 04:20 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Do you have any photos of the rear ones?

Thanks,

Tapani
No, but these are the same:

From this thread: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58934
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-09-2012, 04:23 AM

Registered SVX

I "did" the new ones.... they are a very different design compared to the old ones to start with. There's app 10mm more clearance to the hood now :-).

One knocking sound is gone, but there's still something.... drives me nuts

Pls see photos.

Tapani
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old.jpg (117.9 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg new.jpg (113.5 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg new filled.jpg (152.7 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg unloaded.jpg (130.7 KB, 274 views)