Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-17-2007, 09:06 PM

lots of dash warning lights coming and going

my steering battery stop brake and abs lights all come on at the same time, sometimes while I'm driving they flash when they are on and some times they just all turn off and don't come back on. any thoughts on what to look for? i was thinking that i might have a ground problem. also sometimes when the car alarm is armed the car will just honk for no reason. i don't even know where to start with that one. thanks in advance Curtis
Old 05-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Alternator

Do a search and check Trevor's locker for an explanation.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:23 AM

so what if ive had the alternator checked about 6 or 7 different places including the rebuild shop and they all say that it is working fine? ive checked the wiring all the way to the fusebox under the hood and its all fin now im stuck and dont know what to do. help please!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:55 AM

Alternators have diodes to change the A/C into D/C. They can have problems under load that do not show in tests. The other suspects are the battery and connections between battery and alternator.

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Seconded; almost certainly an alternator or battery. Check all your connections, and if they're good then replace the battery. If you still have problems, replace the alternator. This is the order I'd do things in... in order of price

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:48 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_svx
Seconded; almost certainly an alternator or battery. Check all your connections, and if they're good then replace the battery. If you still have problems, replace the alternator. This is the order I'd do things in... in order of price
I would suggest the alternator is the first option, there is no logical reason to suspect the battery. Testing as by auto electricians, may not show up the fault involved, unless they apply a 'scope.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
I would suggest the alternator is the first option, there is no logical reason to suspect the battery. Testing as by auto electricians, may not show up the fault involved, unless they apply a 'scope.
thats what i was thinking. i need a scope to test this thing out right. its got a new battery in it now. there is almost no voltage drop on any of the wires.when i checked them they were all less than .1v the highest i saw was .05.v when i first put it all back together it was working. the system voltage was ~14.3 then as it ran longer it got lower and lower especially when i started to turn on electrical loads like lights and the mirror and rear heater and ac it just fell on its face. if i unhook the plug with the small wire and large one the lights on the dash go out. i sounds to me like the alternator is crapin out
Old 05-21-2007, 02:15 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivman1243
thats what i was thinking. i need a scope to test this thing out right. its got a new battery in it now. there is almost no voltage drop on any of the wires.when i checked them they were all less than .1v the highest i saw was .05.v when i first put it all back together it was working. the system voltage was ~14.3 then as it ran longer it got lower and lower especially when i started to turn on electrical loads like lights and the mirror and rear heater and ac it just fell on its face. if i unhook the plug with the small wire and large one the lights on the dash go out. i sounds to me like the alternator is crapin out
At long last someone who know what they are about.

The small wire directly feeds back the battery voltage to the regulator within the alternator, disconnecting it will drop/prevent output.

N.B ------- The voltage measurements you have quoted are important to me, and should be to all members. For years I have been explaining the stupidity of the much vaunted "alternator upgrade". Please refer my locker, as you will be very interested.

Cheers, good one. Trevor, *<)

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-21-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
At long last someone who know what they are about.

The small wire directly feeds back the battery voltage to the regulator within the alternator, disconnecting it will drop/prevent output.

N.B ------- The voltage measurements you have quoted are important to me, and should be to all members. For years I have been explaining the stupidity of the much vaunted "alternator upgrade". Please refer my locker, as you will be very interested.

Cheers, good one. Trevor, *<)
i looked in your locker and was pleased to find very good info there. does anyone know where to get the parts to rebuild this alternator or do i have to go back to the place that told me "its working fine" and "you have an electricle problem within my cars wiring" i would rather not go back there because they treat me like i dont know what im talking about. but they are the only place in town that i know of that rebuilds alternators.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:35 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
i looked in your locker and was pleased to find very good info there. does anyone know where to get the parts to rebuild this alternator or do i have to go back to the place that told me "its working fine" and "you have an electricle problem within my cars wiring" i would rather not go back there because they treat me like i dont know what im talking about. but they are the only place in town that i know of that rebuilds alternators.
In this part of the world the required components are available from parts suppliers. You will be looking for a diode assembly, or as you are knowledgeable, diodes as separate items, to solder in place yourself. There are instructions on the internet, do a .

That said, you could save yourself frustration by simply getting a rebuilt alternator, with yours credited in return. This could be a good option as bearings etc, could be on the way out.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:48 PM

so if i take it in to have it rebuilt what parts do i need to tell them to replace? i guess I'm asking for a list of things that must be done in order for it to work right the first time?
Old 05-21-2007, 04:00 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
so if i take it in to have it rebuilt what parts do i need to tell them to replace? i guess I'm asking for a list of things that must be done in order for it to work right the first time?
A reputable outfit, should replace all items subject to wear or old age, when rebuilding an alternator, including the diodes. I know where you are coming from and suggest you be specific in stating your exact requirements and expectations when ordering.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:20 PM

so im not 100% sure that i know every thing that should be replaced.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:54 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
so im not 100% sure that i know every thing that should be replaced.
What I am saying is about all you can do, is make sure that the diodes are replaced as an essential.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:45 AM

well after six different places told me that my alt was fine and that i had a wiring problem it turns out that the alt was in fact bad. i put a reman one from Subaru in and everything is all good now thanks for all the help!