Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-01-2007, 07:07 PM
replacing something or another

Send a message via MSN to kis86
Carfax shows totalled, any ideas?

Here's the deal: I'm looking at a 92 lsl with a salvaged title. I was able to get a carfax thanks to a couple members and see it on there as:

TOTAL LOSS VEHICLE
Title or registration issued
to insurance company

...on 02/08/2007. My question is, do you think the insurance company totalled it because the car wasn't worth enough in their book to fix? ...I have many pictures of the car, and it's for the mostpart just fine.The only damage I have found by asking and the pics is...the trunk won't close, because there's a crease on the back (see pic).

Last edited by kis86; 05-01-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Weird, I had the same U-shaped impact mark on my bumper. Using my rear end accident as a bench, I'd say to repair this car would cost about $3000 at the most, high estimate..

The owner probably decided to claim a loss and take a check, buy the car back for cheap, and now wishes to sell it for more than what is was bought back for.

--
Oh and that dent should dry-ice right out.

/referenceit'llbuffrightoutcomments

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:39 PM
replacing something or another

Send a message via MSN to kis86
What?!

Wait now, $3000???! I hope you mean 300, that would be nuts lol it's just a bumper...
Old 05-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
I think he means with the metal work to repair the dent. The bumper is easy and no big deal. The dent would require either metal work (knocking it into shape), or ordering a new panel. Plus the labour, filler, primer, paint...Plus whatever support structures would need to be beaten back into shape.

That would get expensive fast.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 05-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
My damage was very similar and included a total replacement of the rear deck lid and a slightly bigger dent in the panel.
Bill came to over $5000.

Front end damage was not even assessed (got pushed into the vehicle in front of me). It was mostly superficial anyhow.

This repair can certainly be done for cheaper. I was directed to a guy through a friend that was a genius with body work and caould have fixed me for maybe 2k, but you gotta pick who you trust for these things.

--
Pic for reference.
link

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 05-01-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot
I think he means with the metal work to repair the dent. The bumper is easy and no big deal. The dent would require either metal work (knocking it into shape), or ordering a new panel. Plus the labour, filler, primer, paint...Plus whatever support structures would need to be beaten back into shape.

That would get expensive fast.
Thats a lot of work...I don't know if the front bumper is the same as the rear, but when I clipped a jeep driving in the sand I thought the whole bumper needed replacing, but the dealershaip said they were designed that when heated to a certain temp. the bumper reforms its orginal shape. I don't see why they would lie since I didn't pay for it and I know they gave me back the same bumper on my car because whoever had it before me drilled 2 holes in it for the front plate and those 2 holes were still there while the rest of the bumper looked immaculate....and honestly 3000 would not surprise me...there may be more wrong with it than it looks... I clipped the corner of a parked jeep doing 15-20 mph and the total damage was about $8,000!!! The only thing that kept me from driving it was the fact that it cracked my radiator