Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-26-2007, 11:15 PM

Help needed, radiator

I am looking for a new radiator for my sons '92 SVX.

He just bought it from on ebay. Opinions are welcome...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...9507&rd=1&rd=1

The only thing that needs attention very soon is the radiator/fan assy. The p.o. had put a different radiator in it and I need to know what exactly I need for a correct replacement. The current radiator has upper posts that don't line up with core support so the one bracket that is there is jury rigged and NOT pretty, and the upper neck is on the far right, not the correct center location. In addition to that, the shroud has two fans, one of which is bent and vibrates badly. The radiator does a great job of keeping the motor cool so the fans don't run very often. For some reason unplugging the bad fan stops both of them, go figure..
Anyway as the car runs great, and the radiator keeps the motor nice and cool I figured it was something we could fix easily in the future. We would probabily drive as is until the radiator failed or we stumbled upon a replacement. However summer is nigh and I think we should get this corrected as soon as possible.
Here's my question, What is the correct radiator and fan shroud for a '92? Single fan or dual fan? It appears the current dual fan shroud in the car belongs to the current radiator, so if I buy a correct replacement radiator, I want to get the correct radiator and shroud for it. What do you think of this, is this the silla your talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RADIA...11598863QQrdZ1
Sorry for the long post, but I want to do it right.
Thanks!
Terry
Old 04-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Neither of the ebay links you gave are working right now????

But there are currently properly fitting radiators on EBay that some members have successfully used.

Also on the fans, there are two separate fan/shrouds, they look similiar, but one has four blades and the other has five. They're fairly easy to pick up on these boards or on Ebay. Just watch out for sellers from Vineland, NJ...
Old 04-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
I got this radiator from eBay and couldn't be happier. Goes right in like OEM and works as well as the old one did before it sprung a leak.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RADIA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-27-2007, 10:49 AM

I have an original OEM radiator on ebay good shape along w/ the fans... located in cape cod ma, starting bid at $50...
Old 04-27-2007, 12:23 PM

That's the one I tried to link to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
I got this radiator from eBay and couldn't be happier. Goes right in like OEM and works as well as the old one did before it sprung a leak.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RADIA...QQcmdZViewItem

The fans Casey has for auction on ebay look just like the ones we have now on the current radiator which is not correct. Weird...

I'll post pics, it's very strange that I might have the right fans and the wrong radiator. I'm going to look at other Subaru models on ebay to see if I can find this radiator on something other than a SVX.

Casey, do you have the upper brackets with the rubber insulators?

Thanks,
Terry