Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-25-2007, 07:32 AM
replacing something or another

Send a message via MSN to kis86
Thumbs down Two unrelated problems??

Yesterday, my brakes wore down to that noisy little tab that makes 'em squeeeek when I stop. Thank goodness I had ordered new brakes a week ago :P That was a little annoying and embarrassing, but nothing compared to the new things that showed up:

1. When I start the car, it makes a gurgling sound in the back (i believe). I'm thinking the fuel pump is going? Not sure...

2. The cv joint started clicking about a month ago when I make tight turns...no big deal. Yesterday, the car starting clicking solid...all the time. It doesn't matter if I'm pressing the gas, but I do have to be moving. The clicking speeds up as I do, so it much be related to something in the drivetrain?

*lucky me* Two new problems in one day! So much for having it painted this week...

Let me know if you can confirm or have any other ideas. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
are you in drive when it clicks?? if you are in a drive gear and it does this, it could still be an axle that has completely died. That gurgle is just the fuel pump doing its job....Don't worry about it

Tom
Old 04-25-2007, 08:27 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
You can just replace the CV joint to get rid of the clicking, check your boot and see if it's torn. If so the oil leaked out. You can also go the cheap way, which i don't reccomend but sometimes budget neccessitates it, which is find someone willing to put just a new boot on and refill it, retaining the axel. This does not always work though, and should only be even considered if you can verify that no damage was done to it.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:39 AM

Clicking

The fuel pump is supposed to do that? Any reason it hasn't up until now...?

Yea, the clicking is when the car is in drive. It's slow when I'm going slow, and fast when I go faster :P It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from, but I'm thinking maybe front driver's side?

I lifted the hood to see if anything was out of sorts there, and there's a fuel line (?)...pulsating? It never did it before, and it's actually something I can feel easily and hear as well. I'm not sure, but could be related to the fuel pump.

It's a small hose that connects into the engine right next to another hose about the same size...and it's on the driver's side. Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff. The other end goes into a small canister...both ends are tightly on.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
I'm not sure about the fuel pump thing, but the cv joint i have plenty of experience with. If you get down on the ground by the wheel and look up you should see the boot. Here's a picture, though it isn't of the svx, but should look similar:

Feel around that for holes, it may be completely torn and two pieces. The boot holds a lubricant allowing the joint to operate properly, and when it drains out, it doesn't move so well. After a bit of wear, it starts to click, and eventually break. If your clicking, chances are it's damaged,a nd you'll need a new cv joint. I do not reccomend repairing the boot at that point. You can have it repaced/fixed in a shop for about 150$. Check the other side that is not clicking, chances are it is torn too, as it is rather common. My axles were replaced just before i bought my car, and the boots were nice and shiny, so i don't have to worry about it for a while, but it was done once, and the car has 129k miles on it.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Maniac modifier

his issue is probobly due to a worn inner cv joint... thats why it clicks going straight too.

The fuel pump is rushing fuel over the hump in the tank through a jet like mechansim... Just the sound it makes when it picks up a bit of air thats all... No worries, mine still runs like a champ

Tom
Old 04-25-2007, 10:08 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Check for rocks stuck in the treads of your tires too...I've had this before and I was scratching my head like WTF!
Old 04-25-2007, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the pump info Any ideas on this, it started yesterday as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kis86
I lifted the hood to see if anything was out of sorts there, and there's a fuel line (?)...pulsating? It never did it before, and it's actually something I can feel easily and hear as well. I'm not sure, but could be related to the fuel pump.

It's a small hose that connects into the engine right next to another hose about the same size...and it's on the driver's side. Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff. The other end goes into a small canister...both ends are tightly on.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Maniac modifier

how gas is in the tank??? may b picking up air bubbles

Tom
Old 04-25-2007, 11:04 AM

Gas is ok

The tank is about 3/4 full, filled at the same station as usual too...
Old 04-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Maniac modifier

does it drive any differently than it did before?

Have you changed the fuel filter ever?

Tom
Old 04-25-2007, 11:13 AM

well...

it doesn't seem to be different, but it's always had an idling problem. I have a filter, so I'll have to try changing that as well.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:36 PM

Exclamation Bad news!

Well, apparently the problem is with the front differential...it's done went downhill quickly, and now I have no car!!

I was thinking on doing the 4.44 swap this summer sometime, and I was wondering if the front diff on the 96-97 Legacy 2.5 will fit along with the rest (tranny, rear diff etc).

My other option will be to get a new tranny. Anyone know of one available, and if they include the front diff? Thanks all for your help
Old 04-26-2007, 03:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kis86
Well, apparently the problem is with the front differential...it's done went downhill quickly, and now I have no car!!

I was thinking on doing the 4.44 swap this summer sometime, and I was wondering if the front diff on the 96-97 Legacy 2.5 will fit along with the rest (tranny, rear diff etc).

My other option will be to get a new tranny. Anyone know of one available, and if they include the front diff? Thanks all for your help
I just read this thread, and I was worried that might be the case. The front diff on my old Legacy went bad, and the clicking did, in fact, sound like a bad axle. I even bought a new axle and tried to replace it, but was very surprised when part of the diff came out with the axle when I tried to remove it.

The moral of the story is: if you get clicking in a straight line, have your transmission looked at.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-26-2007, 03:32 PM
The car named NIGHTMARE

Send a message via MSN to Nomad
So , if i have this problem only when turning right , its the right one ? right ?