How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-08-2001, 01:18 PM
Lowered SVX

eddy, help......

my car is doing this really weird idle thing. it will jump up and own from 2000 to dead sometimes. i can even feel it when i am driving down the road. it doesnt do it all the time, but it does do it often enough. subaru said the mass airflow sensor was fine. so i assumed it had to be the idle air control valve. i bought one and i think my mechanic has installed it but i have not had a chance to drive it yet. was the iac valve the problem?? shed some light on this for me please?
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 05-08-2001, 02:14 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: eddy, help......

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
shed some light on this for me please?
The IAC, or idle air control valve probably was the problem. What happens is that they get carbon in them and they can't operate properly. Sometimes you can get by for awhile just cleaning them, but not very often. You might also look for obstructions in the throttle body itself, carbon most notably, or something in the air intake system, I've seen some strange things get sucked (or left) in the air intakes. Found a shop rag in one once. Mind you this is just advice, I'm not there, so unless you find something that I mentioned wrong, (and I'm a hero), don't expect miracles.
Old 05-08-2001, 02:55 PM
Lowered SVX

thanks.

eddy i recently had the throttle body and cleaned, you think something loosened and is caught in there. once i get the car back and drive the hell out of it i will know better if it is still doing it. i will get back with you. thanks for the quick response eddy.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"