How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 09:48 PM

Zounds!

Well, my svx has had it. We were finally getting calls about the thing and while driving it last week, it decided to throw a rod bearing, and ate a piston and scored the cylinder walls. it'd be a lot of time and money to fix, and I don't have ethier.

So I'm parting her out. I reallllllly don't want to do that, but I need the money.

The car is immaculate, every part in good shape (sans the hood and trunk struts ) aside from the driver's side seat needing reupholstry on the left bolster.

The engine can be repaired with a new rod, an extrusion, and some slightly larger pistons. Tranny is good. I'll get pictures, and you guys get first dibs before I start ripping stuff off and selling it on ebay.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:55 PM
One teal and One yellow

why dont you buy an used motor and keep her run? why part her out so easily?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Motorsports warehouse is in Tucson, Try calling Dayle and see if he can help you get a motor cheap. I have them for $400 up here, But that's not helping.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:11 AM

I was trying to SELL the car. as it is, with the new wheels and tires, windshield, and all the motor work it has done to it right now (i've put a lot of money into the car, hoping to keep it, but money is tight and I needed to sell it) I need to get money out of it. another 400 bucks to put a motor in would just be 400 bucks I won't get out of it. I'm trying to work at a good cost-loss ratio. and right now, about 4500 bucks for a car I put over 3k into, as well as paying 3k origionally for, it's just folly to do more.

I need to part it out to get some income, and from as I see it, parting it out could get me nearly 6-8 grand for it.

I don't like the idea of parting it out, but I simply have no other choice. If the 240 were sold, maybe. but it isn't sold yet, and I have to pay insurance on both it and my M coupe

Last edited by Sr240sx; 02-04-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:42 AM
aka sir_romeo

Send a message via MSN to kuroneko_sama Send a message via Yahoo to kuroneko_sama
will the ecu work in a 97?
Car #26..'97 SVX Silver (120k and climbing)
previous SVXi:
Car #24..'94 SVX Ebony 216k (sold)
car #18..'97 SVX LSI "Ebby" Pearl 175k (sold)
car #19..'97 SVX LSI Brilliant Red 103k (sold)
car #14..'92 SVX Claret LS-L Touring (sold)
car #13..'94 SVX Laguna Blue LS (sold)
Old 02-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

You'll get nowhere near that for it. Maybe more like half that if it's a really nice car. I think you should let the car live and install a new motor and then sell it. Accept the financial loss as doing something good for the SVX & automotive world as from the sounds of it you'll have a financial loss no matter what anyway. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budfreak
You'll get nowhere near that for it. Maybe more like half that if it's a really nice car. I think you should let the car live and install a new motor and then sell it. Accept the financial loss as doing something good for the SVX & automotive world as from the sounds of it you'll have a financial loss no matter what anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry, but 400-800 bucks is too much. I don't think you get the idea of "I can't spend any money" I DID my part for the svx world. I bought a car, spent dozens of hours on it turning it into something good and clean again, and I just can't throw any more money at it.

The car is too hard to sell in arizona anyways. so unless someone here wants to buy my car for 4700 bucks with a new engine in it and is willing to put in a deposit, The car is going to be parted out. I don't have the time to get a new engine, take it apart, clean it, put it back together (with another ~250 in new parts, like a timing belt and water pump) and put it in, with no gurantee that it'll even sell.

sama, you will have to ask someone who knows cross-fitment about svx's. I can tell you that ECU's didn't change from obd-I to obd-II in ethier BMW's z3 or 240sx's, but SVX's are something I don't know.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:43 AM
One teal and One yellow

You are driving a BMW with "M" series...is 400-800 a lot to you?

You don't have time to do I understand, but parting her out won't take you times too? Parting her out might take longer times and if you can't get things sold a lot, you will get stuck even longer?

Hope you will make a good decision for you and your SVX.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX

You don't have time to do I understand, but parting her out won't take you times too? Parting her out might take longer times and if you can't get things sold a lot, you will get stuck even longer?

That's what I was thinking, I was just waiting for somebody else to say it.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Definitely your business if you choose to give her up. Probably a good idea to let us know the details on the car rather than force us to search, as you have no locker with pics, and sig "devoted" to your "Drifter". Too bad.
My $.02.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 02-04-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX

The M series is in my hands because I got it for a smoking deal. I got it with the understanding that I would sell my 240 and my SVX. Nethier of which have been sold yet (the 240 will be soon, I hope, but even still, all the money goes back into the account I withdrew from to buy the BMW)

Right now, I am currently strapped for cash. And the period of itme it would take to put an engine in would REQUIRE that I do it at my friend's shop, and that would take about two weeks for me to do at his shop. HE can't afford to let me take over garage space for two weeks. and removing parts from the svx to package and sell may take more time in the long run, it's broken up nto smaller chunks. it dosen't take long to remove a hood, or fenders, or glass.

I'll certainly get some pictures going for you guys :-) since I -did- say you all have first dibs on parts for it
Old 02-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr240sx
The M series is in my hands because I got it for a smoking deal. I got it with the understanding that I would sell my 240 and my SVX. Nethier of which have been sold yet (the 240 will be soon, I hope, but even still, all the money goes back into the account I withdrew from to buy the BMW)

Right now, I am currently strapped for cash. And the period of itme it would take to put an engine in would REQUIRE that I do it at my friend's shop, and that would take about two weeks for me to do at his shop. HE can't afford to let me take over garage space for two weeks. and removing parts from the svx to package and sell may take more time in the long run, it's broken up nto smaller chunks. it dosen't take long to remove a hood, or fenders, or glass.

I'll certainly get some pictures going for you guys :-) since I -did- say you all have first dibs on parts for it

Two weeks?! What is that, one bolt a day?? Shouldn't take an experienced person more than 10 hours at the very MAX with a shop and proper equipment.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budfreak
Two weeks?! What is that, one bolt a day?? Shouldn't take an experienced person more than 10 hours at the very MAX with a shop and proper equipment.

I've not swapped an EG series motor before, and I'd only be able to work on the weekends, and only for a couple hours a day. I have a job, school, and a girlfriend
Old 02-05-2007, 08:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr240sx
I have a job, school, and a girlfriend
Now I understand why he has no money. Girl = Blackhole of Cash.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:56 AM

Registered SVX
I want to move to Arizona if you can sell an SVX & 240 and replace it with a M coupe beemer!

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.