SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

View Poll Results: Should I make the trade?
Yes 6 50.00%
No 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2007, 11:37 PM

Need some help...

Okay guys, here is the deal. I currently have a 1990 Eclipse GSX. I love the car to death, but it just has too much power now to count on as a reliable DD. Plus I am trying to move out, and I know the DSM would have to go. I got a rather intriguing trade offer today. A guy over on a DSM forum offered me his SVX LS and $1000 cash for my DSM. I have only owned DSM's, I am on my 3rd. I know nothing about SVX's, or even Subaru's for that matter. Im just looking for some help, seeing what you guys think about the deal, since you guys are the SVX pro's and all . I really appreciate all your time, Ive posted what all is done to his car below. Just looking for some insight on the motors, how they hold up, hard to work on, common problems, whatnot. Thanks again everyone!

160,xxx miles
New 4.44 transmission,
LS Model with Spoiler,
Leather (escaine) interior,
strong engine,
Resealed Valve cover gaskets,
ES Swaybar bushings,
9005/6 headlight mod,
2.25' Dual Exhaust,
Custom K&N intake,
tranny cooler,
-Stage 1 v4 EcuTune Software
-New coil on plug components
-New timing belts
-Exhaust has cut-outs after cats (sounds like a big block, lol)
-Will include Electronic Speed meter (0-60, 1/4 mile times, hp, torque, etc.)
-New battery
-Changed all fluids today (even rear diff LSD fluid)

Here is a pic of the car. I dont get the Volks with the deal (unless I want to forfeit the $1000 for just the rims, forget that . I get stockers instead. But here is a pic)

Did the LS model come in AWD? Because he says something about the rear diff fluid, but also says something about it being the LS model. I really appreciate all help guys/gals. If i hear the right things, I will be frequenting this board alot more often in the future .
Old 01-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Nothing too special here aside from the 4.44 tranny. I'll tell you one thing if your DSM is making "too much power" the SVX will seem relatively slow. The 4.44 does pep it up a bit but... I dunno how fast your DSM is.

I'd get rid of the Sylvania/Silverstar "hyperwhite imposter" bulbs. Go true HID or at least find some 9011/9012s.

I'd patch up the hole in the exhaust as well. You could be losing valuable torque.

What year is the car? 1994 LS is FWD. 1995 LS is AWD.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 01-30-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:27 AM

Its a 93. The DSM will make upwards of 340hp and shouldnt have a problem running a low 12, high 11 on pump. I just want something decently quick and reliable. I see that the SVX's run about a low 15 stock. Not too shabby, what could I expect with these basic mods? Mid 14's? I dont know how well these motors take to mods and whatnot. I know a stock GSX runs low 15's, and with intake, exhaust and MBC and just up the boost like 2 psi you can hit mid to low 14's.

Last edited by aguynamedpat; 01-30-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:40 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
All 93s are AWD.

A new SVX runs low 15s, stock. With what you have you could be right around 15 flat. These cars are all over the map in 1/4 times. Two cars can be identical yet pull a full second difference in times.

Serious mods for this car are still in their infancy, though we do have a few monsters rolling around blazing trails for the rest of us.

Oh and Budfreak too. I'm sure he'd love to tell you all about his sub 15 second pass with his 4.44.

Really there are two factors to consider in buying this car.
- Do you want it to go fast, and how much do you want to spend.
- The SVX is far more comfortable than a DSM. Does this matter to you.

Reliable, sure. Quick, sure. Gorgeous, you bet. Will it give you headaches? What car won't?

Last edited by NikFu S.; 01-30-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:43 AM

So whats your opinion on this situation? Do you think Im getting a good deal? I know Im losing the go fast potential of my DSM, but 1g DSM's are very common., and if I ever want back in the game Ill sell the SVX and buy another 1g. How do these do as far as reliability? Are they hard to work on? I know I wont find another motor as easy to work on as the 4g63 was. Just looking for some insight, thanks for the help so far.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:46 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
I have a tendency to edit and re-edit my posts, fyi.

I think this is a great deal if the car runs well and has no sign of serious wear. This car is not "easy" to work on compared to others.

Then again $1000 won't get you much, and I am biased towards this car.

Unless you spend in excess of another 6k the SVX will not be as fast as your car, but it might feel a lot nicer.

I don't know whether you should buy it or not. I don't know you. I do know if you plan on treating it well you should go for it. The SVX is a rarity and especially so these days as more poeple abuse and wreck them thinking they are another cheap rice rocket beater.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 01-30-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:55 AM

Oh dang I forgot about not having to run premium hahaha. That would save me big bucks. As far as it being as fast as my DSM, never. If I bought this I would not mod it, that is why Im buying it. I will definitely not rice it out. The $1000 would go towards rent and deposits on my new apartment. Thats the main reason Im opting out of the DSM game for a while. So many options as far as mods for that thing. Here are some pics of my DSM.

When you say headaches, just curious as to what the common headaches are? This is what he had to say about the engine:

Quote:
About the engine, seals and such were replaced when I bought the car (2 years ago, maybe 10k miles) Internally stock, but replaced everything wear related and oil pump. Redid timing belt a month ago.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:18 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
I just meant every car can have it's problems. You already have the 4.44 with a cooler so I doubt you'll ever have tranny issues. If oil isn't leaking and if the electrical all checks out really there is nothing to worry about. This car is pretty solid. On the flip side, parts are both rare and expensive. I have had to replace both windshields due to vandalism, costing me around $1700 worth of headache.

Oh and you will still need premium fuel. 91 is recommended, 93 is recommended with the stage 1v4, though I run 90 just fine with it (not by choice, mind you).

If it's super important, you can use 87 with the 1v4 code switch properly attached.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 01-30-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:53 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
That car looks familiar is it this one?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36603

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 01-30-2007, 05:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I'd say the SVX is worth between $4000 and $5000. So if you add the $1000 cash, your being offered a $5000 to $6000 deal. What do you feel your car is worth? That will tell you if it is a good deal or not.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:40 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
A) That DSM is pretty clean. Nice work.

B) Im going to have to go along the lines of what Nikfu is saying here. you have to treat the SVX proper in order to have a good ownership experience.

Parts can sometimes be hard to come by, depending on your region, but there are many members (like myself) who have a stock of parts, and are willing to help owners regularly.

I would have to ask, how much do you love that DSM? The SVX with $1000 seems like a fair offer.

Coming from someone who has had multiple SVXs, I must say, owning one is a great experience. I usually get complements when I take the car out on errands, etc. They get a lot of looks.

Do what feels right to you.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse
That car looks familiar is it this one?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36603
Yes, it is that car. I get it with stock rims, not the Volks. I love to hate my DSM. I love it, its one of the cleanest 1g's Ive ever seen. Its just the little things about DSM's that get me. Like a banjo bolt broke yesterday, leaving me stranded over one bolt. And of course, no auto parts stores stock that ONE bolt, and the only dealer that had it in stock was over an hour away. Thats the upside about the SVX, I dont plan to wrench on it, therefore it should not leave me stranded. Having a DSM is a full time job giving it what it needs. If you take care of it, it will take care of you, but it takes alot to take care of it. Plus with the FMIC and Cams/Gears installed, I know it will not be reliable. Me and the guy talked alot last night and came to the agreement of his car and $850 cash for my car. It still takes premium fuel? Why? (just curious) I have access to 87, 89, and 93.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:18 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
SVX has high compression ratio. I think its 10:1 or really close.

The SVX isnt like your typical subaru. Wrenching or not, It too can leave you stranded with the closest parts over an hour away.

It wont even be comparable to the performance of your DSM. Its more of a touring car made for the highway. Delivering a comfortable ride, with one of a kind styling is what an SVX is about.

Im not trying to talk you out of it but your car looks really nice and im sure you have alot of dough invested. I would first test drive an SVX if one is available to you so you know exactly what you are getting into.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 01-30-2007, 12:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Manufacture recommends it do to compression. The compression by todays standard is average, but by 1990's standards is relativly high. I had no trouble running 89 when mine was stock. I believe the Stage 1v4 has a second set of fuel and timing MAPs that will allow you to run regular, if you have it switched to the correct setting.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:28 PM

Yeah, I have alot invested, but DSM's are the worst cars about not getting out what you have put in. I could drop in $15,000 and still would barely probably get $6000 out of it. And 1g's have no resale value. I know it wont compare performance wise to my car, but it will still be quick and like you said give me a comfortable ride. As for test driving one, I searched Auto Trader within 100 miles and there are none. This guy isnt too too far away, so if I get there and dont like it I dont have a problem turning around. But Im sure it will be exactly what I think it is. Quick, not fast, comfortable feel, reliable, decent on gas.

And premium is no big deal, Ive been buying it for 2 years now.