Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 01-21-2007, 04:57 PM

Registered SVX
JDM User Manual in English?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if there is a user manual for the JDM SVX thats been converted to English or if the NZ & Australian 1 covers most of it, mainly fuses and controls.

Cheers
Darren

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Work shop manuals.

Don't think there is a JDM manual in english. the Australian manual covers most of the JDM model. The gearbox is a bit different, and we don't have all the odd things that the JDM models have like, Rear wheel steer, any heated things, mirrors, seats, vented rear discs, ect.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:08 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if there is a user manual for the JDM SVX thats been converted to English or if the NZ & Australian 1 covers most of it, mainly fuses and controls.

Cheers
Darren
Greetings Darren,

As far as I am aware the manuals I have came from the same source as those Harvey has, i.e. James.

These manuals in english include, head light beam leveler and washer system, rear fog light system, heated seat system and heated mirrors. There were so many variations and options that I doubt all were properly covered within one publication.

I have found my manuals to be adequate in sorting out most issues. I am willing to assist with anything specific you may require. If you wish to use email, trevshef@xtra.co.nz

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-24-2007, 04:09 PM

Cool JDM in English (or Jinglish) - for TREVOR

Hey Trevor,

how about scanning in the page that contains the wiring info for the "POWER" switch that is located on the gear shifter area?

There has been such a fuss over the years about how to do this, I thought since you are the only person here in NZ with a set of manuals them that might help me and a lot of others out who might to fit a seperate switch into their vehicle?.

Might also be useful to decode the wiring colours for people?.

regards

Steve
Old 01-24-2007, 09:25 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS
Hey Trevor,

how about scanning in the page that contains the wiring info for the "POWER" switch that is located on the gear shifter area?

There has been such a fuss over the years about how to do this, I thought since you are the only person here in NZ with a set of manuals them that might help me and a lot of others out who might to fit a seperate switch into their vehicle?.

regards

Steve
Sorry Steve,

I have checked both electrical and transmission sections for this before, and now again for you. Unfortunately an economy switch is shown, but not the power switch. This is one of the reasons for the problems in finding out exactly what goes on in respect of the control units and the differences involved. Bugger eh. (With apologies to Toyota. )

P.S. A second thought. As I understand it both the economy switch and the power mode switch effectively do no more than adjust the RPM point, at which upwards transmission changes occur. I would expect the economy switch to move the change point to lower RPM, while the power switch does the opposite. Further investigation in this area may disclose something of use to you.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 01-25-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:50 AM
Phil & Belha

The "power mode" switch on JDM models grounds pin 4 of the TCU. This same pin is used for the "economy mode" switch on models so equiped. The magic happens inside the TCU.

Quote:
Hey Trevor,

regards

Steve
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 01-29-2007, 12:53 PM

Cool Power mode switch etc etc

So if the action happens inside the TCU then I guess their are 2 (or more) versions of the black box?

Trevor can you validate that pin 4 of TCU is the pin that I should check out?

Since I am a PCB designer, I have got the option to reverse layout the schematic for the JDM one that I hope to get this weekend, has anyone got a spare NON-JDM one that they can lend me to check over the differences - will post it back to you when finished - will also post what I find.

regards

Steve in Auckland.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
So if the action happens inside the TCU then I guess their are 2 (or more) versions of the black box?

Trevor can you validate that pin 4 of TCU is the pin that I should check out?

Since I am a PCB designer, I have got the option to reverse layout the schematic for the JDM one that I hope to get this weekend, has anyone got a spare NON-JDM one that they can lend me to check over the differences - will post it back to you when finished - will also post what I find.

regards

Steve in Auckland.
There may be 3 different TCU's, certainly 2 Steve.

If I mention what the differences in the gearboxes are, you may see where the TCU software differs.

a)The JDM gearbox is full-time AWD with variable torque split. This gearbox has the rear speed sensor inside the gearbox, and the front speed sensor inside the differential, delivering a Hall Effect 5V square wave I believe to the TCU.

b) The USA gearbox is a front-wheel drive gearbox with rear wheel assist [something like what Honda have in the CRV] i.e. not fulltime AWD
This gearbox uses the same speed sensor arrangement as the JDM models. Externally these two gearbox types can be recognised by having the speed sensor wiring exiting from beside the dip stick for the front differential.

c) The Euro/GB gearbox is also full-time AWD like the JDM & Au models. They are similar from the front diff housing back.
These boxes are different in having BOTH speed sensors inside the gearbox. They do not have the Hall Effect sensor in the front diff housing, and consequently don't have wires feeding from beside the diff dipstick.

You need to completely read up these two threads to get a handle on the circuitry.

1)
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34966

2)
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19426

There have been many threads and much debate on this issue, but these two threads contain the essence of much that has been tried recently.

As Phil says, the differences on how the signals are translated is in the firmware in the boxes, and they can't be easily changed just by changing voltage at the pins.

If you are able to re-write the software on the boards, then we will give you any help we can to get this moving.

Read the threads though. I'm confident redirecting the TPS voltage with a diode and a 555 switch will activate Power mode full time. With no snags.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
3 x TCU, 2 x 4x4

Just re-reading Phil's last post above, I must come to the conclusion there are three different types of TCU.

1) Japanese. Uses Hall Effect front speed sensor. Has Full-time Power mode switch activated at pin 4.
For normal driving with Power switch off, Power Mode is activated depending on road speed and severity of demand. Drops out after set time.

2) USA. Uses Hall Effect front speed sensor same as JDM. Does not have Power mode switch operating on pin 4. Does not have Econ switch operating on pin 4.
For normal driving with Power switch off, Power Mode is activated depending on road speed and severity of demand. Drops out after set time.

{This begs the question as to which if any mode is activated by grounding pin 4 in the USA gearbox; full-time Power mode, or full-time Econ mode [aka denial of Power mode]}

3) Euro/GB/Au/Nz Uses two speed sensors inside the gearbox, no Hall Effect.
Does not have Power mode switch. Does have Econ switch, which grounds pin 4 with the result of forcing Normal shift pattern, no access to the Power mode shift pattern.

For normal driving with Econ switch off, Power Mode is activated depending on road speed and severity of demand. Drops out after set time.

To me anyway, the above implies that there are at least three different software set-ups in the TCUs.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-29-2007, 04:28 PM

Cool TCU models

Thanks guys - will read up on the threads mentioned above & get back to you, if possible it would be nice to know what the part numbers are for the various TCUs - and if they are different then I need to get hold of each type so that I can checkout the internal circuits?.

Any offers on lending me any potentially damaged goods?.

thanks

Steve.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:11 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
The "power mode" switch on JDM models grounds pin 4 of the TCU. This same pin is used for the "economy mode" switch on models so equiped. The magic happens inside the TCU.
It would appear that the economy switch prevents power mode, where as the power switch selects it. Is it possible that the only difference is Normally closed or normally open switches? Physical reversal of the switch position would be all that is required.

However this would mean that economy switch models would have permanent power mode, which does not appear likely. Please someone advise exactly what happens when economy mode is selected.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:59 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
It would appear that the economy switch prevents power mode, where as the power switch selects it. Is it possible that the only difference is Normally closed or normally open switches? Physical reversal of the switch position would be all that is required.

However this would mean that economy switch models would have permanent power mode, which does not appear likely. Please someone advise exactly what happens when economy mode is selected.
The two switch types, Power and Econ, are mutually exclusive Trevor, each to its own box.

As Phil says, the magic happens inside the box.

In the Japanese TCU, putting on the Power switch grounds pin 4. The net result is the TCU delivers gear shift points as per the Power map all the time.

Normal map is no longer in use. "on-demand" Power mode access is no longer in use[or required].

In the Euro TCU, putting on the Econ switch also grounds pin 4. The net result with this TCU is the Power shift map is no longer accessible. The gearchanges will only respond as per the Normal shift map.

"on-demand" access to the Power shift modes is no longer available[whether you might like it or not].

So you see from the above the differences are inside the box circuitry. Changing the external switches will make no difference.

You already have the RHD workshop manual with the wiring diagrams for the TCU. If it is useful to you, I'll send you a scan of the American equivalent, so you can see how the front [Hall Effect] sensor is wired in.

Therein lies the key difference in the TCUs

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-30-2007, 04:29 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
To clarify:

Trevor

If your car is not an import,it's likely to have the two speed sensors inside the gearbox, and will not use the Hall Effect sensor inside the front diff feeding the TCU.

To enable a permanent Power mode on such a TCU, my modification does the following;

The normal "on demand" circuitry in the TCU reads the TPS signal. It switches on Power mode shift map [depending on road speed, mind!] if it

(a) sees WOT or +5V
(b) detects a rapid change in throttle voltage. [equating to a large throttle opening at certain speeds]

The Power mode switch modification fools the TCU into Power mode by showing it a fluctuating WOT signal. This is provided by giving the TPS input of the TCU a +5v signal with a timed interrupter in the circuit.

In normal use, once the TCU sees WOT it switches in the Power mode shift map. It remains in Power mode until certain parameters have changed [such as you lift your foot or move into a higher road speed range] or after a certain length of time determined by the software in the TCU.

In default, where the TCU does not see the expected parameter changes [i.e. you don't lift your foot ], the TCU will drop out of Power shift map anyway back to Normal shift map after a certain time interval. [I don't actually know what the time interval is, because the other parameters are so variable depending on conditions]

By feeding the interrupted fluctuating 0-5v WOT signal to the TPS reading pin, in effect the TCU is unable to drop out of Power shift map after its pre-determined interval because it is constantly starting a new cycle all the time.

Hey Presto!! Permanent Power mode shift maps.

Now, it needs another small finesse as well. The new 0-5v signal feeding the TCU pin from the TPS, this has to be isolated from the TPS feed to the ECU. This is done by using a diode in the line which lets this signal travel one way only. The ECU still needs to see the actual TPS signal to control the engine.

I'm sorry if the above seems long-winded. With all the differences in markets and different components doing different functions, I'm not sure people have a firm grasp of what is being controlled.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-30-2007, 03:34 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
So you see from the above the differences are inside the box circuitry. Changing the external switches will make no difference.

Joe
Thanks Joe, your answer to my question is:-

“In the Euro TCU, putting on the Econ switch also grounds pin 4. The net result with this TCU is the Power shift map is no longer accessible. The gearchanges will only respond as per the Normal shift map.
"on-demand" access to the Power shift modes is no longer available[whether you might like it or not].”

i.e. The economy switch prevents power mode, the probability I indicated.

You also advise:-

“In the Japanese TCU, putting on the Power switch grounds pin 4. The net result is the TCU delivers gear shift points as per the Power map all the time.“

This is what I could not, can not confirm as I have no wiring diagram which cover the power mode switch and was why I raised the hopeful, but unlikely possibilty, that only switch configeration could be involved. It is now apparent that my comment “which does not appear likely”, was correct.

Do you have a diagram covering the system which includes the power mode switch ? The one I have shows only the economy switch arrangement.

Trevor.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:02 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Trevor

If your car is not an import,it's likely to have the two speed sensors inside the gearbox, and will not use the Hall Effect sensor inside the front diff feeding the TCU.

To enable a permanent Power mode on such a TCU, my modification does the following;

The normal "on demand" circuitry in the TCU reads the TPS signal. It switches on Power mode shift map [depending on road speed, mind!] if it

(a) sees WOT or +5V
(b) detects a rapid change in throttle voltage. [equating to a large throttle opening at certain speeds]

The Power mode switch modification fools the TCU into Power mode by showing it a fluctuating WOT signal. This is provided by giving the TPS input of the TCU a +5v signal with a timed interrupter in the circuit.

In normal use, once the TCU sees WOT it switches in the Power mode shift map. It remains in Power mode until certain parameters have changed [such as you lift your foot or move into a higher road speed range] or after a certain length of time determined by the software in the TCU.

In default, where the TCU does not see the expected parameter changes [i.e. you don't lift your foot ], the TCU will drop out of Power shift map anyway back to Normal shift map after a certain time interval. [I don't actually know what the time interval is, because the other parameters are so variable depending on conditions]

By feeding the interrupted fluctuating 0-5v WOT signal to the TPS reading pin, in effect the TCU is unable to drop out of Power shift map after its pre-determined interval because it is constantly starting a new cycle all the time.

Hey Presto!! Permanent Power mode shift maps.

Now, it needs another small finesse as well. The new 0-5v signal feeding the TCU pin from the TPS, this has to be isolated from the TPS feed to the ECU. This is done by using a diode in the line which lets this signal travel one way only. The ECU still needs to see the actual TPS signal to control the engine.

I'm sorry if the above seems long-winded. With all the differences in markets and different components doing different functions, I'm not sure people have a firm grasp of what is being controlled.

Joe
Joe, my car is a JDM import and has a power mode switch.

Regarding your suggested system, which i gather has not been tried in practice. Be sure that I do have a firm grip on what you have in mind.

The TCU signal is used for several functions and its primary connection is to the ECU/MPFI unit. You are making assumptions regarding the timing and lock in circuitry which is very much speculative. Aside from that, any adulteration of the signal from the TPS, will surely affect the ECU.

I would speculate that the timing/lock in circuitry/function is based at least in part, within the ECU. What is more, the power shift condition may not in fact be unlocked on the basis of time, as you predict.

Cheers, Trevor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: