How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-27-2007, 08:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to tommy96LSi
Talking Finally

I finally got all my parts from kerven subaru, and installed the knock sensor on bank one last night. Tonight it's going to be sparkplugs/coil on 4, then intake collector gasket and then finally replacing all the bolts on the exhaust that was just repaired.

P.S. That knock sensor was a big pain in the rear end. I couldn't figure out how to get the intake manifold off because there are actually bolts on the underside of it, and I really wanted to keep it as "lease invasive" as possible. I went the extension and knuckle route and after about an hour or so the knock sensor was in!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:23 PM

Great Success

Ok... So my night has been interesting to say the least. I got all the parts on and repaired, and then took it to Advance Auto (which I hate) to get the codes cleared. The car ran quiet and idled perfectly the entire way there. Never even noticed a hiccup or stumble. I got the codes cleared by the pretty girl behind the counter (blonde southern belle, at ADVANCE AUTO). The codes cleared and then I threw a throttle position sensor code... BULLOCKS. I forgot to hook that connection back up. So, I nearly melted my fingers off reconnecting it, and had the codes checked again. STILL A CODE. So I drove it home, and now I'm putting some dielectric grease on it with the negative terminal off of the battery. The odd thing is... NO STUTTER STILL.

My stutter is gone, so mine appears to be electrical. THANK GOD. Any questions, I'll be on checking.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
I think I've been spoiled by my SVX in the past as it's been nothing but reliable until the past couple months. First the radiator cracks, finally get some time to through a new one in and now i'm getting a pretty bad misfire on cylinder 4. Same conditions as the rest of you so I just need to start diagnosing spark/fuel in that cyl..

I'm just really not a fan of working on my supposedly daily driver. Especially because I just replaced all of the spark plugs and knock sensors in the past year. I REALLY hope this isn't HG related though as that would suck. The car did get up pretty hot when the rad cracked though.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
shouldnt be... im serious when I say 8 out of 10 times a miss is directly related to a coil pack gone south

Tom
Old 04-09-2007, 08:47 PM

Talking coil packs

I would definitely agree with Tom. The car is running the best that I have seen since I got it. I am about to do a Sea foam treatment and finally put in the final spark plug and then soak the maf sensor. I definitely recommend replacing the coil first for a miss.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
I think I've been spoiled by my SVX in the past as it's been nothing but reliable until the past couple months. First the radiator cracks, finally get some time to through a new one in and now i'm getting a pretty bad misfire on cylinder 4. Same conditions as the rest of you so I just need to start diagnosing spark/fuel in that cyl..

I'm just really not a fan of working on my supposedly daily driver. Especially because I just replaced all of the spark plugs and knock sensors in the past year. I REALLY hope this isn't HG related though as that would suck. The car did get up pretty hot when the rad cracked though.
Okay, I'm at a loss. replaced the coil, cured the misfire. Replaced the radiator, and there are no visible coolant leaks anywhere.

However I'm losing coolant, to the point where within 20-30 miles, I've lost almost half of a gallon, and the car starts to overheat. I don't see white smoke out of the exhaust. No coolant in the oil, No oil in the coolant, A little bit (okay, more than a little bit, but not a lot) of oil burnt on start up after the car has been driven hard, but no coolant smell. So where in the hell is my coolant going? With the proper amount of water the car holds temp perfectly, but as soon as it hits that "half gallon low" mark, the needle starts climbing.

Any ideas at all?

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker