How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-04-2005, 12:28 PM
tman6429

First Time in a 5-Speed SVX...

Yeppers i met a felow SVX owner. I drove his recently 5-speed converted SVX. Very nice, noticeable accelaration. Tonite were going to the local race track to have a little fun. I will post the race video of a Stock SVX with stock tranny VS a 5-speed SVX.....
Old 11-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
So when are you converting?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:58 PM
tman6429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
So when are you converting?

The parts car i have will have a 5-speed on it. Soon as i get a helping hand on doing it. Anyone care to help.....
Old 11-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman6429
The parts car i have will have a 5-speed on it. Soon as i get a helping hand on doing it. Anyone care to help.....
Send me a PM when you plan to work on it, I may be able to help some...
Old 11-04-2005, 01:28 PM
tman6429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
Send me a PM when you plan to work on it, I may be able to help some...

Do you think we can do it in 1 full day. I can get the 5-speed tranny, and all the neccesary things. 1 More thing, theres no trannn in the car that i am doing the 5 speed swap on. So basically everything is just bolt on.???

BTW you only live an 1 hour away.

Last edited by tman6429; 11-04-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I would reserve at least 2 weekends to do the swap.

The first weekend is used to find out what parts you are missing. The second is for when those parts arrive
Old 11-04-2005, 05:20 PM

I think if you had 2 people working on it that had experiance doing it before you could get it done in one, maybe 1.5 days if you have all the parts, and had the trannie brace pre made. At least have it to the pont of being drivable. Thats if you dont have to touch the rear diff. If you have to take that out and swap in another than i would add another .5 to 1 days.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I will let u know how long the 6mt swap takes... If I gave all the parts... shouldn't be more than two full days... there is a lot of work to be done in the swap don't forget...wiring and welding will take time...

Tom
Old 11-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Tom,
Wouldn't you also suggest having a "Jesse-special" cross member already made?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
who says i dont??

Tom
Old 11-04-2005, 10:08 PM
One teal and One yellow

Pls post your video soon, would love to see that.

1 full day? I was told it'd be about 40hrs.....hmm.....but you have no tranny on the car....

Any estimate? How much it will cost for all the parts you need in a 5mt swap? $1500? Hmmmm...........maybe not the time for me to go this route for the yellow one.................

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 11-04-2005, 10:33 PM
tman6429

The parts is gonna run me about under $300 for everything. Theres atleast 20 junkyards within a 20 mile range from my house. Most of them are you pull it. The tranny is gonna be about $75 and other Misc. is gonna be $200.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:08 PM

Small world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman6429
Yeppers i met a felow SVX owner. I drove his recently 5-speed converted SVX. Very nice, noticeable accelaration. Tonite were going to the local race track to have a little fun. I will post the race video of a Stock SVX with stock tranny VS a 5-speed SVX.....
tman, sounds like you drove the svx I put together 2 weeks ago. That was the first awd 5sp I drove . fwd is great, but the traction of the full time 100% awd is incredible. Now it's time to convert mine to awd. Anyone in my area have a spare rear diff and axle assembly for an svx?

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------
Old 11-07-2005, 09:32 AM
tman6429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pwrlite
tman, sounds like you drove the svx I put together 2 weeks ago. That was the first awd 5sp I drove . fwd is great, but the traction of the full time 100% awd is incredible. Now it's time to convert mine to awd. Anyone in my area have a spare rear diff and axle assembly for an svx?

Yeah i like it also. But i think he should have upgraded his clutch to a stage 2 or something, the stock legacy clutch isn't gonna handle extra power. Help me with my 5-speed swap and i will find you a rear end.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:00 PM

The stock clutch is fine for what he's doing, but yes a street/racing clutch would be much better ($ $). Just remember although it seems the 5sp can take a little more beating than the automatic, you can still damage your tranny. A hp clutch assembly will definitely putting more torque to the ground which is good and bad.
I've been running with the same stock Legacy clutch since I first installed my 5sp. Once in a while I experience some slipping during hard acceleration, but I still don't know if I want to upgrade the clutch assembly yet. Anyone wanting to do this swap with their daily driver will have no problem using stock. Now because you race, I would recommend any upgrade you can afford to do.

If you'd like, we can meet somewhere over the weekend and discuss your plans. PM me and let me know. I may be putting my regular door hinges back on for the winter this weekend, so I'll be a little busy but I'll have time.

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------