IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppiede
Matt, thanks a lot, I already read the whole thing and I am a bit relieved. Is there any other how-to where I can see better pics of the alignment portion of the TB replacement? Some of the pics on that how-to are blurry, perhaps there's no need because once I'll be doing it it will be all clear, but just in case a couple of extra pics/alternative tutorial shouldn't hurt...

Thanks,

Walter
It should be pretty straightforward once you get it apart. Align the main pulley to the top dead center mark and the cam pulleys will automatically be lined up to their respective marks. The marks on the new timing belt that you match to the marks on the pulleys make it really easy. If you don't have it on right the marks won't match up so it is really pretty hard to mess it up. If you get stuck along the way I have a spare engine in the garage that I can take close up pics of.

I always remove the radiator when I do it (they only remove the fans in the how-to). It can be done without taking it out but you just have so much more room to work with and it doesn't take that long to get it out of the way.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 04-16-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
I have a slightly used water pump and a brand new gasket if you want to knock that out of the way while you are in there. it is yours if you cover shipping.
Tom, that is extremely nice of you. I will be glad to cover shipping costs and trow in some extra cash to buy you some beer. If you need any computer help whatsoever, please let me know I've been working in computers/networks for several years, I have lots of hardware laying around so let me know if you need anything.

Matt, thanks for the clarification. It makes sense, I should be able to do it fine once I see it. I will let you know once I start working on it, most likely next thursday.

Take care,

Walter
1999 Ducati 748S (built 996 engine)
Old 04-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
walter, shoot me a pm and we can sort everything out.

Tom
Old 04-19-2005, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
but I really recommend changing the front main seal (crank seal) while you are in there.
Guys, I called SubaruParts.com yesterday but it looks like they are closed on Mondays... I am waiting for 11:30am EST to call them and catch them early...
Immortal_Suby, do you see the front main seal in this picture? What's the part number? I couldn't find it on there.

Thanks,

Walter
Old 04-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Maniac modifier

it is in this diagramsubaruparts . g73301. Have fun man.

Tom
Old 04-24-2005, 08:28 PM

Allright Guys,
first of all I would like to publicly thank Tom (tomsvx) for being such a great fellow SVXer. Thank you Tom, I got the water pump, seal and the CDs (<-- unexpected) yesterday. That really helped.

I also wanted to thank Mike (longassname) for lending me the tool to remove the crank gear and to always be there to give me advice when I need it.

Now, onto the bad news. Today I finally managed to take the car apart and take a look at the situation. It isn't pretty. It turns out that what caused the whole mess was the water pump which seized and brought everything to hell with her. The two flush pulleys on the left of the crank gear are seized, and so is the tensioner pulley. I am easily looking at another $200 + shipping and this is really killing me. I wish I could have taken pics but I had forgotten to bring my digital camera with me before going to my friend's shop to work on it. All I can say is that I found the two flush pulleys torn in pieces and all the little bearings were over the place.

Here's a pic I 'borrowed' from that tutorial site that Tom suggested me, where you can see what seized:

Besides buying the three pulleys that seized, what else do you guys recommend me? I am gonna call SubaruParts on tuesday because they are closed on mondays...

Regards,

Walter
Old 04-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppiede
Besides buying the three pulleys that seized, what else do you guys recommend me? I am gonna call SubaruParts on tuesday because they are closed on mondays...
Sorry about your luck.

I realize it's difficult to swallow but I'd be very hesitant to use any of the idlers or the tensioner cylinder after such a shock has occured. Let's put it this way: I couldn't, in good conscience, repair a customer's car with less. It would really suck if I only replaced a few then have the same happen all over again, due to hidden damage in the remaining idlers or tensioner.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
I realize it's difficult to swallow but I'd be very hesitant to use any of the idlers or the tensioner cylinder after such a shock has occured.
Beav, I understand and appreciate your advice. Yes it is hard to swallow because right now in May my car insurance was also due, so it's really harsh on me, but I will have to find a way to make it happen.

So what else exactly should I add to the list? So far I have this:

- The two flush pulleys on the left of the crank gear
- The tensioner pulley

Is there any chance you could tell me which part numbers should I order from this page? Sorry for the ignorance, but it's hard for me to decypher mechanical terms in english so I am not 100% sure what I should add to the cart.

Here are the pieces that I already have:
- Timing Belt
- Crank Seal
- Waterpump + Seal

Thanks again.

Walter

Last edited by Treppiede; 04-25-2005 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Maniac modifier

I can send you the pulleys from my bad motor if u want? save u a bunch of money. Let me know

Tom
Old 04-25-2005, 10:50 AM

All those pulleys completely seized, as in, won't turn at all? (What are the odds of that happening?) How many miles on your car?

dcb
Old 04-25-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I can send you the pulleys from my bad motor if u want? save u a bunch of money. Let me know
Tom, please PM me the $$$ you want to ship them and you got it. (Thanks!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
All those pulleys completely seized, as in, won't turn at all? (What are the odds of that happening?) How many miles on your car?
My car has 135K miles. I've owned it for the past 10K or so. As far as the pulleys being seized, two of them literally "exploded", as in the metal cylinder came off and all the bearings were on the bottom of the timing cover (sorry should've been more precise on the pic I posted - I will soon take pics of my actual engine for you to see). The tensioner pulley looks like it got really hot because it has that classic purple shade and burtn rubber on it, and so it's the water pump pulley - again I will take good quality pics for you guys to see.

Regards,

Walter

Last edited by Treppiede; 04-25-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:12 PM

Wow. Were they noisy before they let go?

dcb
Old 04-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Maniac modifier

PM sent. And don't go expecting another set of mitchell disks either.

Tom
Old 04-25-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
Wow. Were they noisy before they let go?
No. The Power Steering belt was a noisy because it was a bit loose, but I didn't notice any noise coming from other areas.

Quote:
PM sent.
Replied to PM.

Walter
Old 04-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Wow - amazing that all of that stuff would sieze up at once. First time I've heard of it being that bad. Sorry to hear it.

I hate to be the one to say it but, if you can manage it now would be a great time to throw in a new oil pump as well (since you won't need to take the covers off the timing area for at least another 80k now since you are replacing everything else and your oil pump will be over 200k at that point) In the long run it will save you money. Not a necessity but it is a good preventative maintenance measure.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.