How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up Hmmm...time for 4.444 gears!

Well, my 4.11 trans went out after 7-8 months of drag racing on it. After noticing my 1-2 shift was occuring at redline over the last month (Harv had mentioned it was due to a slipping band), I lost 2nd gear this morning followed shortly by fourth.

I think what killed it wasn't that I broke a gear (haven't heard any grinding, etc), but that I was driving around on it for several months will the brake band not properly adjusted (which wore it out prematurely).

Either way, it's time to rebuild, and I'll be ordering a '96 Legacy Outback 4.444 4EAT and matching rear diff from Tom's (svxfiles) parts guy on Monday.

I should be back at the drag strip in 3-4 weeks and it'll be interesting to see what improvement these gears will have in dropping my 1/4 mile et...

-Chike

My name is Chike and I'm addicted to drag racing...

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 03-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Weasel 22

best of luck...im interested to see the difference with the gear change
and at least you know why the tranny went
Old 03-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
Lightbulb

Chike, sorry i missed your call this evening, sorry to hear about your tranny, its seems as though we are in the same boat now Give me a call tommorow after 5 if you get the chance, ill be putting my new wheels and tires on the car. Also, keep me posted on all the prices and parts availbility through Tom's guy, b/c i might be ordering one myself if things don't improve by adjusting things. Talk to you later, and the best of luck!
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot
Old 03-11-2005, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel 22
best of luck...im interested to see the difference with the gear change
and at least you know why the tranny went
Thanks Shawn!

The shorter gearing should definitely improve my launch & 60' times. Hopefully from doing this gear swap, I'll be solidly in the 14's.

Yeah, it's definitely good to know why the trans failed. I plan to do a brake band adjustment on the Outback 4EAT before installing it, to make sure everything is at the factory setting.

-Chike

Last edited by Chiketkd; 03-11-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonparrot
Chike, sorry i missed your call this evening, sorry to hear about your tranny, its seems as though we are in the same boat now Give me a call tommorow after 5 if you get the chance, ill be putting my new wheels and tires on the car. Also, keep me posted on all the prices and parts availbility through Tom's guy, b/c i might be ordering one myself if things don't improve by adjusting things. Talk to you later, and the best of luck!
Andrew,

I'll give you a call tomorrow when I get the chance - will be pretty busy with the wife and kids all weekend though.

I'll let you know about prices, but remember the switch to 4.11 or 4.44 gears will typically run you at least $450-$550 for the trans & diff.

His parts guy does have a '96 Impreza trans for sale for $275, and I could sell you my 4.11 rear diff for $50 (already grinded out to accept the SVX ltd slip hub) which will put you at $325 + fluids + gaskets if you went the 4.11 route.

4.44 trans and diffs generally run between $400-$500 for the trans and another $100 for the diff.

-Chike

Last edited by Chiketkd; 03-11-2005 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:26 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Hey Chike,

Are you going to tear apart the old tranny to see exactly what stopped working?

Mychailo

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Hey Chike,

Are you going to tear apart the old tranny to see exactly what stopped working?

Mychailo
I'll be doing the swap at Tom's place. I'm all but certain the band just wore out completly on it, but if Tom wants to tear into it, he's more than welcome to...

They are some items that are in excellent condition that I'll be keeping though - rear transfer clutch assembly, 4.11 front diff, etc. This trans only has about 30K miles on the rebuild that Huck369 did.

-Chike

Old 03-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Unhappy

I am sorry that you lost your tranny Chike. I know all to well about tranny replacements. I am starting my parts collection for a 5MT swap if this one goes out. Good luck with the 4.44 swap. Keep us posted.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 03-12-2005, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX-FF
I am sorry that you lost your tranny Chike. I know all to well about tranny replacements. I am starting my parts collection for a 5MT swap if this one goes out. Good luck with the 4.44 swap. Keep us posted.

Steve
Thanks Steve! Can't wait to have even shorter gearing in this car...

Wow! Good luck with your future 5MT swap. That'll be one amazing SVX.

-Chike

Old 03-12-2005, 03:04 PM
building more AK47's

Where is the parts man who sells these transmissions and what kind of condition are they in? I have had no luck finding a low mileage, preferably under 50k near me. Thanks
Old 03-12-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsvx
Where is the parts man who sells these transmissions and what kind of condition are they in? I have had no luck finding a low mileage, preferably under 50k near me. Thanks
The place is somewhere close to the MD/WV line. The low mileage ones are rare, but he does have a few. I'll PM you his info Monday, so long as Tom (svxfiles) is cool with it.

The Outback trans I'm getting has over 100K on it. I'm not too worried about mileage...

-Chike

Old 03-12-2005, 05:52 PM
building more AK47's

Ill be looking foward to it thanks!
Old 03-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
What happened,why, and how to fix it.

The flaring that Chike had, is not the same as the typical flaring, that we get on the 2nd/3rd gear change. When this happens the band just releases early, before the high clutch has applied. This does not wear the band as it is not slipping.

In Chikes case the band is slipping big time. What happens is, in first the forward clutch is on, to go to 2nd, we only have to apply the band to brake the front sun gear to a stop. This gives 2nd. What has happened is that when the TCU sent the signal to change, the band was applied but slipped too much, to stop the drum from spinning. It was only when the engine 'over rev cut out' came on to cut the torque, that the band could stop the drum from spinning. So from the time the signal for change was sent at 5400 rpms till the torque was cut at 5750, the band was burning up.

Why this happened is the way the changes are set up to take place. Subaru has allways tried to have the changes as smooth as possible, with no thump. It is this action that has caused the problem that Chike has found.
When the TCU sends the signal to the shift solenoid, it switches to allow a pilot pressure to move the shift spool valve across, to open the ports and direct line pressure, to the brake band servo, to apply the band.

If this was all that happened, there would be a big thump as the band suddenly stopped the sun gear drum. To soften the change there is another unit called the 2A accumulator. This is a little hydraulic cylinder, with a piston and spring, that is connected into the line going to the band servo. It acts to soften the application of the line pressure on the band servo. The pressure builds up gradually as the accumulator piston is forced back against the spring. This causes the band to slowly apply to change into 2nd. without a thump.

What needs to be done is to send the valve body away to one of the good auto box builders (DRG, Level 10) . Get them to alter the spring or orifices, to allow the pressure to rise quicker, so the band is applied with less time to slip. I reckon you would only have to explain the problem, for them to know what to do. This modification will make the changes harder,and the box will not be as smooth, but it will make it survive the treatment longer.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsvx
Ill be looking foward to it thanks!
PM sent!

-Chike

Old 03-14-2005, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
The flaring that Chike had, is not the same as the typical flaring, that we get on the 2nd/3rd gear change. When this happens the band just releases early, before the high clutch has applied. This does not wear the band as it is not slipping.

In Chikes case the band is slipping big time. What happens is, in first the forward clutch is on, to go to 2nd, we only have to apply the band to brake the front sun gear to a stop. This gives 2nd. What has happened is that when the TCU sent the signal to change, the band was applied but slipped too much, to stop the drum from spinning. It was only when the engine 'over rev cut out' came on to cut the torque, that the band could stop the drum from spinning. So from the time the signal for change was sent at 5400 rpms till the torque was cut at 5750, the band was burning up.

Why this happened is the way the changes are set up to take place. Subaru has allways tried to have the changes as smooth as possible, with no thump. It is this action that has caused the problem that Chike has found.
When the TCU sends the signal to the shift solenoid, it switches to allow a pilot pressure to move the shift spool valve across, to open the ports and direct line pressure, to the brake band servo, to apply the band.

If this was all that happened, there would be a big thump as the band suddenly stopped the sun gear drum. To soften the change there is another unit called the 2A accumulator. This is a little hydraulic cylinder, with a piston and spring, that is connected into the line going to the band servo. It acts to soften the application of the line pressure on the band servo. The pressure builds up gradually as the accumulator piston is forced back against the spring. This causes the band to slowly apply to change into 2nd. without a thump.

What needs to be done is to send the valve body away to one of the good auto box builders (DRG, Level 10) . Get them to alter the spring or orifices, to allow the pressure to rise quicker, so the band is applied with less time to slip. I reckon you would only have to explain the problem, for them to know what to do. This modification will make the changes harder,and the box will not be as smooth, but it will make it survive the treatment longer.

Harvey.
Good info Harv! I don't think I'll be able to invest in a modified valve body at this time, but my next 4.44 trans from a '97 Legacy Outback should hopefully last much longer. Ordered the trans and diff today and I can't wait...

-Chike