Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 05:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

how do you know that? come on somebody tell me!!! I do not know where my car came from or what are its specs !!!!
Because you said you had a diff-lock fuse in your car at one point. Only the USDM cars have the FWD. All non USDM SVX's have a different center differential and some other small differences in the tranny.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:05 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Using the spare tyre.

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

Hi Nick, well they did fit the fuse for purpose of runnng it on a two wheel dyno for emissions testing. So it can take some 100% slipage. But spinning the front wheels is a no no. I mean it is cheaper to replace the transfer clutch plates, than a front diff,

I'm smiling, because the VTD can't have this problem.

Harvey.
If you say that our model is better than the US model, why the hell did Subaru do two SVX versions? is it because having a traction of 90:10 of the USDM's has a better snow grip (required especially in Canada and USA) than other equatorial countries?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:09 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Couldn't they do something in between like 60:40 ? I would have preferred that because our VTD's do not have a very good grip in raining conditions especially going an uphill in raining considtions.
Sometimes I feel like my car is floating on water rather than the road when going an uphill which will cause inadequate handling...
(or is it because of my large wheels and tyres = 17 x 8.5 ?)

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Couldn't they do something in between like 60:40 ? I would have preferred that because our VTD's do not have a very good grip in raining conditions especially going an uphill in raining considtions.
Sometimes I feel like my car is floating on water rather than the road when going an uphill which will cause inadequate handling...
(or is it because of my large wheels and tyres = 17 x 8.5 ?)
It's probably something to do with your tyres. My car has extremely good traction in the rain on standard size tyres.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:21 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by b3lha

It's probably something to do with your tyres. My car has extremely good traction in the rain on standard size tyres.
this is probably the reason...
the surface of 7.5" wheels is better than that of the 8.5", smaller surface = more grip.
But though you wouldn't imagine the water on the streets here when it rains heavily, especially when you are going an uphill and the water coming to you in a downstream...

Old 01-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Using the spare tyre.

Quote:

If you say that our model is better than the US model, why the hell did Subaru do two SVX versions? is it because having a traction of 90:10 of the USDM's has a better snow grip (required especially in Canada and USA) than other equatorial countries?
Well when they developed the SVX, they designed the VTD AWD to go with it. This is the same AWD that Subaru is now using in the newer models. Unfortunatly the US only had dynos to run two wheel drive cars, and as they have to run the car on a dyno to check the emissions, the VTD could not be used there, as it is allways All wheel drive.

So they went back to the older Transfer Clutch AWD, because it can have the rear wheels turned off, to run the front on a two wheel dyno.

The Varied Torque Diff is the best system, that is why General Motors is using this system under licence in there new models.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
im confused

I thought our cars (USDM) had a 60/40 split, ive read in many magazines and such that state that.

Quote:
Out of Autoweek August 12, 1991 Issue
The SVX all-wheel-drive system uses front and rear differentials and a multi-plate transfer clutch. The standard torque split is 60/40 front/rear to compensate for the coupe's forward weight bias and smaller effective rolling diameter for the front tires. Still, the distribution of power can range from 95/5 front/rear to 50/50. The mix is constantly variable according to throttle angle, speed, wheel grip and other inputs.
please someone explain this to me, are we 60/40 or 90/10? 60/40 seems more reasonable to me.

dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company

Last edited by odepaj; 01-07-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: im confused

Quote:
Originally posted by odepaj
I thought our cars (USDM) had a 60/40 split, ive read in many magazines and such that state that.
please someone explain this to me, are we 60/40 or 90/10? 60/40 seems more reasonable to me.

dustin
Yes Dustin, confusing isn't it.

This is just auto writers, with no technical expetise, writing technical reports. They read other reports, like the Road and Track Guide, and repeat the same misinfomation.

The people that wrote the Guide tried their best, but just did not understand the very technical nature, of the developements, that were released in this car. The transmssion AWD was one, the IRIS was another. I don't think they understood that there were two different AWDs used, for the reason that I have stated in the previous post. So in the expanation that they gave, they mixed the two together.

They talk about the multi plate clutch, of the US mod, but give it the torque split of the VTD, back to front,

The VTD is mainly rear wheel drive, it is actually 36%/ 64% front to rear, tighting to 50%/50%.
The US model is front wheel drive, with rear wheel assist. Can go from 90%/10% front to rear to 50%/50%.

Any sign of slipage between the wheels, causes the drive on both versions, to tighten towards 50/50.

There was a report done in Australia last year on James's SVX, and sure enought, there was the info from the Road and Track guide being reported again.

Harvey.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:17 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
How's this:

It was snowing like hell last week and while visiting one of the car lots, I hit the front wheel on the curb. I can't see crap since the entrance and side look all alike under the snow. That location had like 1.5 - 2 ft of snow.

Cut the long story short, I got a hole on the side wall. Time to change the tyres again. The bad thing is that they are like 6 months old so I can't just replace one of them.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Re: Re: im confused

Quote:

Yes Dustin, confusing isn't it.

This is just auto writers, with no technical expetise, writing technical reports. They read other reports, like the Road and Track Guide, and repeat the same misinfomation.

The people that wrote the Guide tried their best, but just did not understand the very technical nature, of the developements, that were released in this car. The transmssion AWD was one, the IRIS was another. I don't think they understood that there were two different AWDs used, for the reason that I have stated in the previous post. So in the expanation that they gave, they mixed the two together.

They talk about the multi plate clutch, of the US mod, but give it the torque split of the VTD, back to front,

The VTD is mainly rear wheel drive, it is actually 36%/ 64% front to rear, tighting to 50%/50%.
The US model is front wheel drive, with rear wheel assist. Can go from 90%/10% front to rear to 50%/50%.

Any sign of slipage between the wheels, causes the drive on both versions, to tighten towards 50/50.

There was a report done in Australia last year on James's SVX, and sure enought, there was the info from the Road and Track guide being reported again.

Harvey.

I knew the VTD was rear biased while the USDM tranny is front biased and i know the torque split varies on both, but what im trying to figure out is, is the USDM tranny split 60/40 on a straight, flat road, or at 90/10? im just trying to figure out what the "standard" torque split for the USDM SVX is.

I just noticed you said they give the USDM the VTD's torque split but back to front. But the USDM does vary from 90/10 all the way to 50/50 and anywhere in between but is the car normally drive at 90/10? Are you completely sure that they post the VTD's split just backwards or is the "norm" for the USDM really 60/40? im not trying to question anyones knowledge, i would just like to know as much about my beautiful SVX as i can and i would also like to know that i am speaking the truth about my car and not misinformation, basically i just want to have the best understanding of the SVX that i can and this website has been great help in getting me to my goal so far. thank you all.

dustin

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company

Last edited by odepaj; 01-09-2005 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Re: Re: im confused

Quote:

I knew the VTD was rear biased while the USDM tranny is front biased and i know the torque split varies on both, but what im trying to figure out is, is the USDM tranny split 60/40 on a straight, flat road, or at 90/10? im just trying to figure out what the "standard" torque split for the USDM SVX is.

I just noticed you said they give the USDM the VTD's torque split but back to front. But the USDM does vary from 90/10 all the way to 50/50 and anywhere in between but is the car normally drive at 90/10? Are you completely sure that they post the VTD's split just backwards or is the "norm" for the USDM really 60/40? im not trying to question anyones knowledge, i would just like to know as much about my beautiful SVX as i can and i would also like to know that i am speaking the truth about my car and not misinformation, basically i just want to have the best understanding of the SVX that i can and this website has been great help in getting me to my goal so far. thank you all.

dustin
Yes well when they quote the torque split for the VTD, they seem to put it as 40% 60%, instead of the actualy 36/64 that it is. Now I suspect that this was, then applied to the Transfer system, the other way around.

The Transfer system torque split varies with a number of inputs. Selected gear, road speed, and throttle opening. The split is highest with the lowest gear, the lowest speed and the highest throttle opening.

To put this into numbers, when it is in 4th at 30mph/60kph, and you are accelerating hard, the split would be around 60/40, as the road speed rises, the split will reduce to say 75/25. As soon as you lift the foot, the split will reduce to 90/10.
When you are taking off hard in 1st, the split is 50/50, as there is a high chance of wheel spin, so the torque split is increased to max. As the speed rises, the split reduces.

So mate it is hard to state what the standard split would be, just driving down the road. If you are just crusing, it would be 90/10, hit the throttle to overtake, it would go to say 70/30, lift the foot, back to 90/10. It will allways vary to suit the conditions, though it allways needs some drive to the rear, to prevent the rear drive line from shunting.

Harvey.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: im confused

Quote:

Yes well when they quote the torque split for the VTD, they seem to put it as 40% 60%, instead of the actualy 36/64 that it is. Now I suspect that this was, then applied to the Transfer system, the other way around.

The Transfer system torque split varies with a number of inputs. Selected gear, road speed, and throttle opening. The split is highest with the lowest gear, the lowest speed and the highest throttle opening.

To put this into numbers, when it is in 4th at 30mph/60kph, and you are accelerating hard, the split would be around 60/40, as the road speed rises, the split will reduce to say 75/25. As soon as you lift the foot, the split will reduce to 90/10.
When you are taking off hard in 1st, the split is 50/50, as there is a high chance of wheel spin, so the torque split is increased to max. As the speed rises, the split reduces.

So mate it is hard to state what the standard split would be, just driving down the road. If you are just crusing, it would be 90/10, hit the throttle to overtake, it would go to say 70/30, lift the foot, back to 90/10. It will allways vary to suit the conditions, though it allways needs some drive to the rear, to prevent the rear drive line from shunting.

Harvey.

ok, thanks for all the info. do you think you could give a detailed discription like that of the VTD? all this interests me very much.

dustin

My Locker

Old 01-13-2005, 06:12 PM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
Good thing my spare is a bridgestone potenza!
Old 01-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: im confused

Quote:

ok, thanks for all the info. do you think you could give a detailed discription like that of the VTD? all this interests me very much.

dustin
Yes mate, working on that one now. Gunna need a drawing for this one.

Harvey.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: im confused

Quote:

Yes mate, working on that one now. Gunna need a drawing for this one.

Harvey.
ko0l, thank you for all your help.

dustin

My Locker