Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-14-2001, 01:00 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Good theory Pockets

That could explain a lot. Notice how he also doesn't offer to sell the alleged non-stock parts either. Probably cause he never had them. He says they can be purchased at "any aftermarket parts store". If some uninformed person gets sucked into buying this car and wants the spoiler in the pictures, they are going to be in for a surprise. Even subaruparts.com lists the stock spoiler as no longer available. Guess there's always parted out SVXes, but that isn't an honest description. Besides, do you see how he goes on and on about how this car was built to compete with Corvettes and Vipers, European exotics, blah blah blah... I LOVE the SVX, but this guy is giving a totally wrong impression!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 12-14-2001, 01:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Which leads to the question: Should we, as responsible SVXers, lambast this creton via e-mail and call him into account for his attempt to deceive?
I think 'lambasting' and starting off with words like 'cretin' are maybe a little over the top.

But I would recommend that somebody who has an eBay account contact the seller.

I wouldn't blatantly accuse the guy of deceit, but definitely try to get the real story from him. We ran into this with a guy a few months ago who was selling an SVX for 'a friend,' which typically means 'I buy and sell cars for profit on the side,' and claimed that the car was a turbo.

I contacted the seller and asked him to explain that and a couple other discrepancies in his description, and he was happy to change the page. It seemed that a number from this club had also contacted him, but he was polite because we were polite.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-14-2001, 01:56 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Good theory Pockets

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
That could explain a lot. Notice how he also doesn't offer to sell the alleged non-stock parts either. Probably cause he never had them. He says they can be purchased at "any aftermarket parts store". If some uninformed person gets sucked into buying this car and wants the spoiler in the pictures, they are going to be in for a surprise. Even subaruparts.com lists the stock spoiler as no longer available. Guess there's always parted out SVXes, but that isn't an honest description. Besides, do you see how he goes on and on about how this car was built to compete with Corvettes and Vipers, European exotics, blah blah blah... I LOVE the SVX, but this guy is giving a totally wrong impression!
Yeah, that is misreprenting the SVX a little.

I'd take an SVX over any one of those cars. And if an SVX wasn't immediately a choice, I'd take the most expensive one and SELL it to buy several SVXs.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-14-2001, 02:55 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I think 'lambasting' and starting off with words like 'cretin' are maybe a little over the top.

Obviously, I don't, or I wouldn't have used them. Zealousness is one thing. Out and out deception is another. If I were to contact this fellow, I would be diplomatic, polite, yet, get the point across that "overstating" the car's abilities will only serve to disappoint. Not to mention not being honest about one of the seat buttons malfunctioning -- the only reason for 6-way power seats.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-14-2001, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
just revisited the ebay site again a few moments ago. The whole section about the spoiler, exhaust tips, and the aftermarket availability has been deleted. He still has four left (drivers side) wheels on the car. (Maybe Subaru cut costs when producing the "Magnesium" wheel option by making only one side.)

Now what about the 6-way power lumbar seats. (I "power" my lumbar support with my thumb and forefinger)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 12-14-2001, 04:44 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Obviously, I don't, or I wouldn't have used them. Zealousness is one thing. Out and out deception is another. If I were to contact this fellow, I would be diplomatic, polite, yet, get the point across that "overstating" the car's abilities will only serve to disappoint. Not to mention not being honest about one of the seat buttons malfunctioning -- the only reason for 6-way power seats.
Yeah, I know you wouldn't. I was grumpy from some crap being flung here at work.

Come here, ya big lug.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-14-2001, 05:13 PM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
Nobody has commented on just how obnoxiously written this Ebay ad is. It makes me want to vomit just reading it. He needs to chill, he's not selling swamp land in Florida. The car can sell itself!

Jeff

P.S. Someone that contacted me who is interested in my car is going to see this car tomorrow, hopefully he can inform us of "the truth"
Old 12-14-2001, 05:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Yeah, I know you wouldn't. I was grumpy from some crap being flung here at work.

Come here, ya big lug.
{{{Mr. Pockets}}} Need a little corporate "Imodium" at the ol' office do we. Yeah, 'tis the season, huh? Seems like the effects of 9/11 have everybody a little tight in the cheeks. We, fortunately, don't have to take a week of unpaid vacation as was the possibility a few weeks ago. Not to mention our receptionist is stressed out because our yearly supply of Christmas chocolate has been replaced with letters that say "instead of the usual gift this year, we are sending a contribution, in your name, to the New York Policemen's/Fireman's Family Fund." A very nice gesture, to be sure, but they apparently don't know how dangerous a chocolate deprived receptionist can be.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-14-2001, 05:27 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by EveryShadeofBlue
Nobody has commented on just how obnoxiously written this Ebay ad is.
Sometimes it doesn't pay to point out the obvious.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-14-2001, 06:32 PM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
There's another SVX on Ebay (the burgundy one) that is a '92 with DUAL airbags! it also has "special 16 inch wheels." They look like stock to me, but it seems a couple center caps are missing.

Ignorance is bliss!

Jeff
'92 LSi
Old 12-14-2001, 09:01 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
sellers feedback

Check out the guys feedback, he recently bought the Jeffery dahmer trial on videocassette
Old 12-14-2001, 09:22 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Do you mean the one that when you go to their website the car is listed as 'sold'?

Beav
Old 12-16-2001, 07:50 PM
British Car Junky

Something Fishy

Does it seem strange to you that this car is now up to nearly $7,000??? I haven't seen many 92's go that high, much less one with 119,000 miles, those odd pictures, and an add full of nonsense BS. It's also a "private" auction. It seems that maybe someone is driving up the price??? I know someone was going to see it this weekend and they told him he could buy it for $5,000.

Just some of my thoughts on this matter!

Jeff
Old 12-16-2001, 08:18 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I think of Ebay as another form of Sam's. You better know what you're buying because you can usually find it cheaper elsewhere. Caveat Emptor.

I could be wrong but I believe this car (or at least this ad) was running a few weeks ago.

I work with a guy that's into Nascar die-cast. We've watched one guy in particular at Ebay that has a friend run up the bid at the last moment on pieces that will lose money. Easy to tell by the last moment increase and histories always showing the raises coming from the same bidder - week after week.

Beav