Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-22-2001, 12:06 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Thumbs down Worlds Largest JackRabbit + My SVX = Bad

Well, I'm on my 3rd trip up to Calgary in the SVX this week. The trip was going great as usual, until I reached the last 2 hours of my trip (15 hours total). I got just outside Lethbridge and the road hit this small section of non divided highway. Tons of cars were heading my way so my highbeams were off (it's completely pitch black out). Suddenly a jackrabbit the size of a large dog runs across the road and directly in front of me. Being in a construction zone, I had no shoulder, and couldn't go in the other lane due to the large amount of traffic. Well I did my best and tried to avoid, but to no avail. I ended up running it over with my right side wheel.

Well soon after, I heard a rubbing noise. I thought great, I have a flat tire in the pitch black. Well I pulled over and found my tires were fine. However my entire wheel well shroud had ripped itself down and was rubbing on the tire. Well I managed to grab some electrical tape and tape it up for the 3 minutes it would be to a lighted area. Sure enough the entire thing was destroyed. I pulled out my pocket knife and cut off what was rubbing on the ground and it pulled it self back up so I could drive it.

BUT, the worst was not over. Soon after I had an ABS light suddenly on my dash. The brakes were working fine, so I limped it to Calgary like this. After I parked I heard a buzzing noise. At first guess it seems like my ABS motor was running non-stop. However oddly it wasn't pulsing the brake. Either way the vibration it made in the car was enough to set my alarm off non-stop, so I parked her with it off (not great in this area). I'm just expecting to come out to a car with a dead battery from the ABS motor. Guess I will go see.

Wish me luck.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 10-22-2001, 12:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Worlds Largest JackRabbit + My SVX = Bad

Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100
Well, I'm on my 3rd trip up to Calgary in the SVX this week. The trip was going great as usual, until I reached the last 2 hours of my trip (15 hours total). I got just outside Lethbridge and the road hit this small section of non divided highway. Tons of cars were heading my way so my highbeams were off (it's completely pitch black out). Suddenly a jackrabbit the size of a large dog runs across the road and directly in front of me. Being in a construction zone, I had no shoulder, and couldn't go in the other lane due to the large amount of traffic. Well I did my best and tried to avoid, but to no avail. I ended up running it over with my right side wheel.

Well soon after, I heard a rubbing noise. I thought great, I have a flat tire in the pitch black. Well I pulled over and found my tires were fine. However my entire wheel well shroud had ripped itself down and was rubbing on the tire. Well I managed to grab some electrical tape and tape it up for the 3 minutes it would be to a lighted area. Sure enough the entire thing was destroyed. I pulled out my pocket knife and cut off what was rubbing on the ground and it pulled it self back up so I could drive it.

BUT, the worst was not over. Soon after I had an ABS light suddenly on my dash. The brakes were working fine, so I limped it to Calgary like this. After I parked I heard a buzzing noise. At first guess it seems like my ABS motor was running non-stop. However oddly it wasn't pulsing the brake. Either way the vibration it made in the car was enough to set my alarm off non-stop, so I parked her with it off (not great in this area). I'm just expecting to come out to a car with a dead battery from the ABS motor. Guess I will go see.

Wish me luck.

Ryan
Sorry to hear about your accident. That sucks.

As for the ABS problem, it sounds to me like the relay (inside the housing that says 'ABS' right on it) is going bad. I have not experienced the problem, but members have reported that you can bang on that housing and get the stuck relay to un-stuck itself. That'll work short-term, but I recommend replacing that relay immediately. Yes, it will drain your battery.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-24-2001, 11:28 AM
LordLobo

I've had a similar problem with the ABS motor. I fixed it by giving it a firm whack. Literally. It's never come back.

I did kill a battery from he ABS overruning when I dint notice, and it sucked.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:32 AM
Zombie

I would suspect that you may have had the angry Jackrabbit get some payback for getting run over. I would look for a wheel speed sensor wire torn or something like that..... I dont know if we have them at the wheels, but My blazer has wires running down to the hub for a speed sensor. I unplugged on offroad once, and my ABS pump was not happy.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:59 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Zombie
I would suspect that you may have had the angry Jackrabbit get some payback for getting run over. I would look for a wheel speed sensor wire torn or something like that..... I dont know if we have them at the wheels, but My blazer has wires running down to the hub for a speed sensor. I unplugged on offroad once, and my ABS pump was not happy.
While it would be a good idea to check the ABS sensor wires after running over any large debris (alive or not), an over-active ABS pump is a common problem. The relay on top of the pump gets stuck and makes the pump run non-stop.

That pump does not cause the brakes to pulse by itself, so you would likely not notice any symptoms while driving.

It will make noise and keep running after you park, though - and it'll run your battery down, too.

The relay is inexpensive to replace and worth preventing the hassle of being left stranded somewhere. It is also not a part that requires replacement often.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-24-2001, 12:12 PM

Well,

Lucky me, I came out the next morning to a fresh battery and no more hum noise. It has obviously stopped on its own, but still quite strange. Fortunately I was able to take my car to the Ford dealer my friend works at and put it up on the lift. No real damage, aside from the destroyed shroud. The wires for the ABS seemed fine, so who know's if the ABS strangeness was even related to the rabbit.

I guess the moral of the story is, if it's the size of a large dog...don't run over it.

Ryan

Old 10-24-2001, 01:19 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by nvrmore100
Well,

Lucky me, I came out the next morning to a fresh battery and no more hum noise. It has obviously stopped on its own, but still quite strange. Fortunately I was able to take my car to the Ford dealer my friend works at and put it up on the lift. No real damage, aside from the destroyed shroud. The wires for the ABS seemed fine, so who know's if the ABS strangeness was even related to the rabbit.

I guess the moral of the story is, if it's the size of a large dog...don't run over it.

Ryan
I didn't figure your ABS buzz was due to the roadkill. And I still recommend you change that relay.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-24-2001, 08:12 PM
Zombie

is this relay something that I should be proactive in replacing? or mabey keep a spare in the acr in case?
Old 10-24-2001, 09:33 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I didn't figure your ABS buzz was due to the roadkill. And I still recommend you change that relay.
And fur what it's worth - you might have a hareline crack in the relay. Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

And fur what it's worth - you might have a hareline crack in the relay. Ron.
Booo.

Old 10-25-2001, 12:52 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
is this relay something that I should be proactive in replacing? or mabey keep a spare in the acr in case?
The relay isn't what I'd call an all too common problem, plus, it's not hard to fix, nor, hard to find, if you need one. The "whack" fix usually keeps you going til you need another. To remove it, it's the one screw on the top of the ABS Box, and then, you can yank the sucker if it gives you too much trouble, while you're waiting for a new one. I wouldn't say that it's necessary to carry a spare.

I do think, however, that the Ryan's deal was due to the Jackrabbit. I'm thinking that, in the area it was obviously "thrashing" around in, that it may have hit the ABS sensor, since it's in that general vacinity. I'd have it checked to make sure it wasn't loosened or damanged in the melee.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-25-2001, 12:55 PM
SVX Superstar

perhaps we should have jackrabbit stew that nite no?
Old 10-25-2001, 12:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVX Superstar
perhaps we should have jackrabbit stew that nite no?
No. No Rabbit stew for me. I'd prefer Hasenfeffer.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 10-26-2001, 11:36 AM
Zombie

HAggis..
Old 10-26-2001, 03:28 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
HAggis..
YEESH!

(Just a sidebar for those who don't know: Hasenfeffer is German "Rabbit Stew." -- I hate to waste a good joke )
Subaru Ambassador