IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
Update -
Changed tranny fluid and filter. Took a test drive.
Confirmed there is no slipping in 1st, 3rd, 4th.
Only slips in 2nd - and will slip throughout 2nd at any rpm if I stomp on it. It felt like it got progressively worse as the tranny got warmer.

I haven't heard of only 2nd gear going?

Brake band adjustment only controls shifts, right? So that wouldn't help me if it slips while in gear (tranny in 2, manual mode)

I'm puzzled.
Hi Matt, the brake band has to hold for 2nd and top. As it wears it will slip in 2nd at first, due to the higher load, If it keeps sliping it will slip in top gear also.

Do the band adjustment, nip the adjuster up, then back it off three full turns, this sets the right clearence.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thanks a ton, Harvey - I'll try it then and report back the results.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

Hi Matt, the brake band has to hold for 2nd and top. As it wears it will slip in 2nd at first, due to the higher load, If it keeps sliping it will slip in top gear also.

Do the band adjustment, nip the adjuster up, then back it off three full turns, this sets the right clearence.

Harvey.
Harvey,
Okay, you've got me on this one... what does "nip the adjuster up" mean? (tighten it all the way down?).

Matt,
Any way you can take a picture or two of the adjuster and post them?

-Bill (thinking that he's going to need to do this adjustment soon, that or the TPS clean/adjust fix)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I'll try to snap a picture - it is buried pretty deep in there but I should be able to get a shot of it.

I assumed Harvey meant tighten it all the way down - maybe I'll wait for clarification before i touch it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 03-21-2004, 06:48 PM

I'm not Harvey, but yes...he meant tighten it all the way down. If you search you'll find the spec, it's like 6.5 ft lbs (which is impossible to set while installed). Then back off three full turns (360 degrees each) of the square adjuster.

a small tip, take off the rubber vent hose at the top of the tranny that loops & ends at the dog-bone. Makes it possible to swing the adjusting wrench farther.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Holy crap - it worked. The brake band adjustment worked.

I still can't believe it.

Figures - bought a battery for the POS celica backup car today, installed that, then did the brake band.

Still skeptical, we'll see how it does for the next couple days, but I beat the snot out of it just now and it is shifting nice and firm again.

/note to anyone else adjusting the brake band. Disconnect the battery first - had a nice shower of sparks grounding the brake band locknut to the starter with a 17mm wrench. Taking off the intake boot provides alot more room and a clear view to do the job.

Many thanks to Harvey, Randy, all others, hopefully it will keep working.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Oh yea of little faith*

Quote:

Figures - bought a battery for the POS celica backup car today, installed that, then did the brake band.

Still skeptical, we'll see how it does for the next couple days, but I beat the snot out of it just now and it is shifting nice and firm again.

/note to anyone else adjusting the brake band. Disconnect the battery first - had a nice shower of sparks grounding the brake band locknut to the starter with a 17mm wrench. Taking off the intake boot provides alot more room and a clear view to do the job.

Don't worry Mat, it will be OK now.

This is just an adjustment that should have been included in the perodical servicing of the car, like every 60 thousand miles, by the dealer. The number of gear boxs that have been destroyed, because Subaru neglected to include it .

It seem to be the way the auto servicing industry is going, don't do any skilled work, just replace and charge.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

Matt,
Congrats! I think you just earned your SVX Field Service badge
Were you able to take any pictures? I'm thinking that I need to give this a try before Reading!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 03-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Sorry, didn't get any pics this time. I can probably snap some though to give you a general idea of what to look for.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Sorry, didn't get any pics this time. I can probably snap some though to give you a general idea of what to look for.
Matt,
That would be great. Thanks.
-Bill

My Locker