How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2003, 11:23 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Had it for a week, time for tranny swap

I knew it...

I've had my SVX for about a week now, and it's time for a transmission rebuild. I first noticed the flare from 2nd to 3rd gear after I bought it of course, so it was too late to take it back (plus the place was closed and I was already headed home over 600 miles away). Hopefully the warranty will cover most of the work.

I'm kind of torn about what to do. Should I just add an inline filter, auxilliary cooler, and have it rebuilt? Should I swap in the 5-speed? or take the plunge and go for the 6-speed? or perhaps I should rebuild the 4EAT but beef it up a little with the Level 10 Valvebody (and possibly other goodies)? I just don't know what to do!!!

If I get the thing rebuilt (cheapest) will the inline filter and auxilliary cooler be enough to keep this thing alive or will it be rebuild time again just after the warranty on the work expires?

I've researched the old threads about all this stuff, but I didn't find that they were all that helpful. Contradicting opinions abound everywhere and a general lack of proven facts made me more confused than anything.

Are there other options that I'm failing to consider here (I'm NEVER getting rid of this car)? If anyone would like to help me out here, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't have long to decide...
Old 11-26-2003, 11:31 AM
Phil & Belha

If the warranty will pay for it, I would get it rebuilt by Level 10.

We had ours done in May 2000 and have put a lot of miles on it since with no further transmission problems.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
My warranty will cover, after upgrading it, a max of $2500 per repair. Maybe since they have to wait to get the valvebody back before proceeding, they can charge it as two repairs?

Plus, I'd like some proof that the upgrade works, or if they actually upgrade it at all, rather than just sending it back with a sticker on it...

Thanks for the input, and keep it coming, please.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:16 PM
alacrity024

imho, the 6-speed is a bit of overkill.. a stock SVX does GREAT with only four speeds (well.. plus TC lock-up) so a five-speed should afford you more than enough flexibility

-adam
Old 11-26-2003, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
imho, the 6-speed is a bit of overkill..
mmmm... overkillll... *drool*

Quote:
a stock SVX does GREAT with only four speeds
I guess from your perspective [only 2 gears] four would be plenty

I'd settle for 4 working gears myself, but I'm suffering from the, "if they're going to pull it all apart anyway..." syndrome.

Quote:
(well.. plus TC lock-up) so a five-speed should afford you more than enough flexibility

-adam
I'm sure it would but I hear that the 6 speed is a better built and much slicker gearshift. "Snickety" as Car and Driver would say.

Please, keep the comments coming! I appreciate very last one. I'm also still waiting on e-mails from Level 10, smallcar.com, and Axis Power Racing... so we'll see...