SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-13-2001, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Angry Paint First Aid!

My paint looks like crap despite just being waxed with Meguiar's cleaner wax. The top of the car feels slightly gritty like sandpaper, and the rest is not nearly as shiny as it could be.

I stopped by a detailing place and they said for about $150 they could compound and polish it up for me. He said it would look better, but not like brand new (no surprise)

Doesn't sound too unreasonable, but is there anything else I can do to my poor baby? I'll be ashamed to bring it to the grand meet in 2k2 in its current condition.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 08-13-2001, 06:42 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Steve,
There's a 3M, extra fine grit compound in a can (liquid, not paste) that might help you out a bit. Haven't tried it myself, yet, but, heard it's good stuff. It's about six bucks for the can. If it doesn't do the trick, you could still go to the detail shop. Ever since mine was at the body shop, my top (Black) has looked a little haggard (overspray from "something" I think), although they buffed out the rest of the car and it looks "killer." I plan on treating it this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out, unless you want to play "guinnea pig" first.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-13-2001, 06:50 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Steve,
There's a 3M, extra fine grit compound in a can (liquid, not paste) that might help you out a bit. Haven't tried it myself, yet, but, heard it's good stuff. It's about six bucks for the can. If it doesn't do the trick, you could still go to the detail shop. Ever since mine was at the body shop, my top (Black) has looked a little haggard (overspray from "something" I think), although they buffed out the rest of the car and it looks "killer." I plan on treating it this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out, unless you want to play "guinnea pig" first.
I always used 3M stuff. I use the medium then fine afterwards to peel some paint off and use the 3M paint treatment (i can't remember what it is -- its in the car) to get rid of the chemicals. Then use the wax to wax and buff it out...
Lwin

PS. do not use the medium and fine grit in one place as it strips out layers of paint -- I warned you...

I have dents all over my car. I need to get those fixed
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-13-2001, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim

I have dents all over my car. I need to get those fixed
Roger that! Maybe I'll go crazy and have the whole thing restored this winter so I'm all primo for the 2k2 meet. Fix the dents and good repaint = $$$ oy!

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 08-14-2001, 08:19 AM
picklesbitch

clay

I haven't used it yet, but I know several guys who have. What is it? Clay for cleaning paint before you wax and or polish. Check out Griotsgarage.com for all your car care needs. I am not as good at taking care of my vehicles as I should be, but I recently started using some of their products, and am pleased. Soon, I will try the clay on the SVX. It won't help the chips on the hood, but as for the rest, we'll see. They also give good advice on car care. Apparently they do concourse detailing and have developed a product line. They also have some nice garage toys too.
Mike
Old 08-14-2001, 08:41 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
As far as I've heard the clay just picks up dirt bits. I picks up the reallly tiny stuff that your rag wouldn't do, however I highly doubt you will notice any difference.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-14-2001, 12:45 PM
kvnobrien

Re: clay

Quote:
Originally posted by pickles*****
Check out Griotsgarage.com for all your car care needs. I am not as good at taking care of my vehicles as I should be, but I recently started using some of their products, and am pleased.

WOW, did anyone else get lost in that site like I just did? You could spend hours writting down all the things you would need in your garage. I noticed a lot of things on that site that my friend's father has in his garage. I hope to have one like that some day.
http://www.griotsgarage.com /
Old 08-14-2001, 01:32 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<I stopped by a detailing place and they said for about $150 they could compound and polish it up for me. He said it would look better, but not like brand new (no surprise)>>

If your car cannot be buffed back, Your car must have been repainted or you park under a leaky acid vat.

Subaru base/clear is pretty tough compared to domestic paint treatments. Even with years of neglect, it should be able to be brought back to new. I'd take it to a body shop for a buff. The compounds they use are a lot stronger, but they usually are better skilled and won't burn through on the edges.

I always recommend any finish related work be done by a shop that specializes in restoring cars. They are worth the higher labor rates.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 08-14-2001, 01:37 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
<<I stopped by a detailing place and they said for about $150 they could compound and polish it up for me. He said it would look better, but not like brand new (no surprise)>>

If your car cannot be buffed back, Your car must have been repainted or you park under a leaky acid vat.

Subaru base/clear is pretty tough compared to domestic paint treatments. Even with years of neglect, it should be able to be brought back to new.

Doug
Hehe no acid on mine...but tell that to my hood and bumper.

I would be EXTREMELY suprised if they could get any color back from mine...if they did, boy would I be happy.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com