Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-12-2003, 07:20 AM
wantaSVX

If Subaru was to start making the SVX again what should it be like?

I was thinking about this for a while at work on saturday. We all know WRX is here to stay and is crushing so many other types of imports and AWD cars and i think that subaru is really sporting the WRX in every way possible. but lets just say at the 2004 LA show show subaru had plans to make a new SVX what do you think it would be like.

my ideas:
new sportyer body type, keep the window's, AWD (duh), fix tranny problems and over heating, bigger wheels (mabye), keep it a 2 door 4 passenger car, remake the cockpit mabye add a turbo because subaru is good at that, 4 speed auto or sporty 6 speed. those are just some of my ideas.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:49 AM
Network Design Administrator

Re: If Subaru was to start making the SVX again what should it be like?

Quote:
Originally posted by wantaSVX
I was thinking about this for a while at work on saturday. We all know WRX is here to stay and is crushing so many other types of imports and AWD cars and i think that subaru is really sporting the WRX in every way possible. but lets just say at the 2004 LA show show subaru had plans to make a new SVX what do you think it would be like.

my ideas:
new sportyer body type, keep the window's, AWD (duh), fix tranny problems and over heating, bigger wheels (mabye), keep it a 2 door 4 passenger car, remake the cockpit mabye add a turbo because subaru is good at that, 4 speed auto or sporty 6 speed. those are just some of my ideas.
If they ever re-made the SVX I would feel the same way all the old VW Bugs owners felt when VW re-introduced the Bug... ROBBED
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Dood, while I can appreciate your enthusiasm, we've been all over this topic a hundred times. The SVX was a huge risk for Subaru, and if they built a sport coupe again, it wouldn't be anything like what we all know and love. It's be more mass-market and more generally appealing, not a 'new and improved' SVX.

That's my opinion and speculation. Other people think otherwise. In the end, there's no point to it - Subaru's gonna do what's in their best interest, and that's great.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-12-2003, 08:13 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
And they will not re-use the name SVX (Subaru Vehicle 10) either since they lost so much money on the SVX. They want the SVX dead and buried (from a marketing standpoint).

And they will not reveal it at LA either. They will do just like the B11S and do it somewhere in Europe.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

New SVX

Also I wouldn't count on the WRX staying forever. Remember the RX? How about the Legacy Turbo? They both were pulled from the US. The Legacy has arguably one of the best engine's Subaru designed in it. Has handling close to that of a WRX, 0-60 in the mid 7s, braking equal to the best cars of its day, stickered in the high teens in the early 90s, came LOADED! but yet Subaru only sold 2000 or so a year until they replaced it with the GT.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: New SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Also I wouldn't count on the WRX staying forever. Remember the RX? How about the Legacy Turbo? They both were pulled from the US. The Legacy has arguably one of the best engine's Subaru designed in it. Has handling close to that of a WRX, 0-60 in the mid 7s, braking equal to the best cars of its day, stickered in the high teens in the early 90s, came LOADED! but yet Subaru only sold 2000 or so a year until they replaced it with the GT.
Right, but the WRX is selling. You say that you expect Subaru to stop selling us the WRX, and as examples you provide cars that didn't sell well. If the WRX sells and increases Subaru's popularity, why would they stop selling it here?

I think that the WRX STi and (anticipated) Legacy STi show that Subaru is trying to build on the success that they've found with the WRX.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

WRX

It is selling now (actually flooding the market) but then again the RX sold like hotcakes too. By the time the Legacy rolled around no one wanted a car that actually drove well. Everyone was buying Ford Exploders and Rollovers. It'll happen again as soon as there is a change away from the rice mentality and/or the competition spreads out the sales. There are just so many people out there who want a car like the WRX.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:49 AM
John19688

Re: If Subaru was to start making the SVX again what should it be like?

Quote:
Originally posted by wantaSVX
If Subaru had plans to make a new SVX what do you think it would be like.

my ideas:
Getting back to the original point of this thread: If Subaru were to put out a 2004 or 2005 SVX, what would it look like?

With sports cars seeing a sales resurgence (like the 350Z) and the success of Subaru's own WRX, I think there's real potential for Subaru to come out with a hot sports car. The B11S is evidence that Subaru is testing the waters. I'm sure they'll wait to see how the RX-8 sells for Mazda. Sadly, I doubt they'd use the SVX name or the signature windows.

The "new SVX" would probably focus more on sports and less on luxury with a 6-cylinder boxer turbo. It would have AWD and would either be a two door or a 2 door + 2 door (like the RX-8 or Saturn coupe). It would also have leather, a navigation system, and your choice of a manual or automatic transmission. Unfortunately I doubt it would have paddle shift on the steering wheel.

As for the exterior styling, it would probably look a lot like the B11S with a reworked grill. All the car magazines seemed to like everything about the B11S concept except for the grill so Subaru will probably respond to that criticism.