Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 AM

Glass options

Okay guys, I've been trying for months to find a replacement windshield for my car and I'm starting to get desperate and discouraged. I started another thread trying to figure out how to get one from Toronto to Oklahoma but upon further inspection I realized that the encapsulation (the gasket the goes around the glass) has been removed and it's not that attractive of an option.

I've hit up just about ever glass company in town looking for any kind of option but no one has a direct replacement. Safelite has a replacement piece of glass but it is also missing the encapsulation. I have a parts car with a good windshield but their company policy doesn't allow for glass transfers.

What kind of options can you all give me for getting this replaced? Is there a company that makes aftermarket gaskets for these cars? Anyone had luck getting glass transferred from one car to another?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Glass options

There are no aftermarket gaskets available. Many people have swapped windshields or transferred the gasket to one of the Chinese windshields which are available. That's probably what Safelite has. These guys sell them:http://www.prosourceglassintl.com/index.html
Old 08-20-2013, 12:58 PM

What we need to do is work with a single company to get a really good source for front/rear mouldings - what about the polish bushing company, they seem to be able to make anything???

Even if we (as a group) had to fork out a few dollars each in order to get some moulds made correctly for our needs (future proofing).

Anyone else got any other contacts that might help for the future.....
Old 08-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Is what is still available from Subaru out of the question? SubaruParts.com still indicates in stock.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

There IS aftermarket glass available. It is done by a chinese company, available in all 3 tints but without the titanium oxide coating and no moulding. Glass IS available from Subaru but only in green tint without titanium oxide coating and is the only way to get a new moulding. ALL PART NUMBERS FOR ANY COLOR HAVE SUPERCEDED TO THE GREEN TINT. Aka, bronze and blue are not actually available even though they will say they are because they have superceded.

These are the facts. Yes, It's possible to pull the windshield with moulding in tact. I have done so about a dozen times and it is possible to then swap into an SVX and have it be leak free.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
What we need to do is work with a single company to get a really good source for front/rear mouldings - what about the polish bushing company, they seem to be able to make anything???

Even if we (as a group) had to fork out a few dollars each in order to get some moulds made correctly for our needs (future proofing).

Anyone else got any other contacts that might help for the future.....
It's sad that it has to come to this already. Mercedes would never allow this to happen. They have parts for all models and all years.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Not having to have to deal with this problem yet, just what is this molding? The windshields are installed with the newer adhesive technology, right? Isn't there a generic material on the market?
I apologize for my ignorance, just can't believe there is not a better alternative out there.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 08-21-2013, 06:23 AM
SVX Addict

Send a message via MSN to BRADY Send a message via Skype™ to BRADY
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
There IS aftermarket glass available. It is done by a chinese company, available in all 3 tints but without the titanium oxide coating and no moulding. Glass IS available from Subaru but only in green tint without titanium oxide coating and is the only way to get a new moulding. ALL PART NUMBERS FOR ANY COLOR HAVE SUPERCEDED TO THE GREEN TINT. Aka, bronze and blue are not actually available even though they will say they are because they have superceded.

These are the facts. Yes, It's possible to pull the windshield with moulding in tact. I have done so about a dozen times and it is possible to then swap into an SVX and have it be leak free.
Hi Nate!

So, are you saying it is possible to transplant a windshield from one SVX to another?

Do you have any photos or documentation on how this can be done?

Thanks, Sir.

Mike
1992 SVX Mica Red/Black (Ruby Pearl) (ADM)- 290,000 kms. With Koni adjustable front shocks, THRICE o/hauled 4EAT with transmission cooler and now the 'QUICK CHANGE' unit, custom PWR aluminium radiator, replacement water pump, fuel pump, crank pulley, Pioneer 6 x 9 rear and 6 inch front speakers, Sony Head unit, rattles from the front end and steering, front DBA slotted rotors. Blown heater core, ruined CV joints, new car park damage. FOR SALE... www.thebeatleboys.com
Old 08-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADY View Post
Hi Nate!

So, are you saying it is possible to transplant a windshield from one SVX to another?

Thanks, Sir.

Mike

Yes, it is possible, using the right tools and taking your time. Nate has removed many windshields without breaking and keeping the moldings intact. He has had them for sale on the network.

The problems are now the moldings are deteriorating from age, sun and ozone exposure. Once dried out, they have a tendency to crumble when stressed.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 08-21-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:59 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb3 View Post
Not having to have to deal with this problem yet, just what is this molding? The windshields are installed with the newer adhesive technology, right? Isn't there a generic material on the market?
I apologize for my ignorance, just can't believe there is not a better alternative out there.
Gene
The mouldings go around the outside of the windshield forming both "A pillar" seals and go to the top of the windshield. This is what forms the air and water tight seal with the upper door glass. It is not what bonds it with the windshield frame area.

And yes, it is possible to transfer used glass onto another svx and has been done many times
Old 08-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Rubber or plastic?
I'm ready to f...
Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 PM

I take it the same mouldings may also be on the rear window ???
Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
I take it the same mouldings may also be on the rear window ???
Yes. I believe so.

And they are rubber. Plastic would have no way of making a good seal that is needed.