Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 06-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX
What needs to be done to fit any coilover?

Hello good people.

Since none of the viable strut options around except OEM can get "auto approved" here, I did some checks. I'm basically allowed to put in any coilover or strut that is approved for EU market as long as the stock height remains (= no lowering). The only requirements except papers on the product itself is wheel and light alignment controls.

In other words, I can fit Bilstein, Öhlins whatever. This will have to be a custom job. It's done by a product certified suspension shop (When and if it get's done). I see most shops have tools to machine/fabricate whatever. Bushings I can get from Poland.

So then the questions remains, exactly what will they have to make / fabricate in order to fit the coilovers to factory spec? Is this a 10,50 or 100 hour jobs for professionals who know the coilover product?
I'm ready to f...
Old 06-03-2013, 03:21 PM

Registered SVX
Re: What needs to be done to fit any coilover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
Hello good people.

Since none of the viable strut options around except OEM can get "auto approved" here, I did some checks. I'm basically allowed to put in any coilover or strut that is approved for EU market as long as the stock height remains (= no lowering). The only requirements except papers on the product itself is wheel and light alignment controls.

In other words, I can fit Bilstein, Öhlins whatever. This will have to be a custom job. It's done by a product certified suspension shop (When and if it get's done). I see most shops have tools to machine/fabricate whatever. Bushings I can get from Poland.

So then the questions remains, exactly what will they have to make / fabricate in order to fit the coilovers to factory spec? Is this a 10,50 or 100 hour jobs for professionals who know the coilover product?
Are there any Approved STI coil overs there?
All you would need to do is have the custom top plate and knuckle widened for the svx hub. Everything else should work just fine.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Yeah, sounds about right. So anything that bolts right onto an STI would work with with the same fabricated top plate and widened knuckle? Or rather, their endpoints would be the same as on the STI?
I'm ready to f...
Old 06-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Was that a specific STI generation?
I'm ready to f...
Old 06-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

The 2005-2007 STi is the closest thing to SVX fitment. Another option is the newly developed AMR coilovers that are actually meant for the SVX.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&highlight=amr

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 06-03-2013, 04:40 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
The 2005-2007 STi is the closest thing to SVX fitment. Another option is the newly developed AMR coilovers that are actually meant for the SVX.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&highlight=amr
His problem with the AMR's is his country wont let him use suspension that is not oem or aftermarket approved. amr's are way too new with probably no or little testing for his country.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
His problem with the AMR's is his country wont let him use suspension that is not oem or aftermarket approved. amr's are way too new with probably no or little testing for his country.
Ah, gotcha. Then yes, any of the STi setups for a 2005-2007 model will be your best bet.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
I'm basically allowed to put in any coilover or strut that is approved for EU market as long as the stock height remains (= no lowering).
Hey - in Finland the rule applies only to more recent vehicles (than the SVX, can't remember the year, though) and the approval requirement is vehicle model specific. The product must be approved to your car - not just any car.

Most suspension sets which are officially for sale and which will pass the mod inspection have a TUV-certificate.

Maybe it's different in Norway, though.

Kind regards,

T
Old 06-04-2013, 02:58 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Hey - in Finland the rule applies only to more recent vehicles (than the SVX, can't remember the year, though) and the approval requirement is vehicle model specific. The product must be approved to your car - not just any car.

Most suspension sets which are officially for sale and which will pass the mod inspection have a TUV-certificate.

Maybe it's different in Norway, though.

Kind regards,

T
I had judicial councelling on his for Norway:

Generally,

1) the product itself must have papers of approval from TÜV or similar body (there are many such bodies) for it's use (i.e automotive dampers etc). The body of approval could also be american but it must be recognized as an independant laboratory with some weight or concession.

2) Proper four wheel alignment must be documented

3) Proper headlight alignment / angles must be documented

This will work as long as the car is not lowered. If the car is lowered, then the the product used must be approved for that vehicle model, in this case SVX. I'm quite sure this will work in Finland as well. The key is to not lower your car.

I asked specifically, was it a problem that the coilover set is adjustable? The first answer was yes, that was a problem because I could show the car unlowered and then go lower it after approval. I then said: "I can show you my stock engine and then go break the speed limit, too". After a few seconds of bewilderment on their part, it was decided that it wasn't a problem that they were adjustable.
I'm ready to f...