Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Happy 20th!

So, I realized yesterday that my SVX is now 20 years old. It was built in March of 1993.

Of course, I don't actually have it here to give it a birthday pat on the roof. It's in a friend's barn for the winter, and I'll go get it next month some time.

I bought my SVX when it was newer than my 'new' car (my RX8) is now. I've had it for over 13 years. It was only six years old and had done a mere 95k miles when I bought it. Aside from the dealer, it had only one previous owner. And in two years, it'll be as old as I was when I bought it!

I struggle a lot with whether to keep the SVX or not. I have a tiny, one-car garage. I drive my RX8 on the track, which means I like to keep it in good shape, too. So parking it outside all the time is not a great idea.

I was pretty sure last summer that I was going to sell the SVX. Now? I dunno. Maybe I'll still be trying to decide what to do with it when the car hits 30.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Happy 20th!

I am in the same place...I don't think I will ever sell my '93 Anniversary Edition, but I hate to see it sit as well.

I've been driving it daily for the last 6 months, but it really needs to be taken off the road and have lot of work done to get it back to like newer condition.

I will soon have another newer car to drive daily which means I will finally be able to do this. I have parts in my garage that I've had for going on 3-4 years which are still uninstalled. And mine needs a repaint badly, it is looking a lot sadder than it should.

I've had mine since early 2000, when I bought it with a mere 32k on the clock. Now it has 108k. In all that time, only once did it fail to get me where I wanted to go, last year when the crank pulley separated, stopped spinning the alternator, and the battery died. It's taken me all over the USA, gladly.

Of course I had to replace the transmission, but that was expected. I went from the stock, to a Level 10. Years later I sold the Level 10 and went to 4.444. I think I'd rather have the 3.54 gears, as now its main trip is the annual one out to the Dragon, and the 4.444 is not nearly as good on the highway.

It's like an old friend..my SVX. But..I think I'll park it for a bit, and give it some needed love it has surely earned, so it can feel proud to be out driving around again.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Happy 20th!

Mine hasn't been my 'daily driver' since 2001 or so. It hasn't seen a winter since then because I've had another car to drive. I put a crazy number of miles on my SVX in the first couple years I had it - about 35k. Since then it has averaged 1k miles a year, but it sat neglected and unmoving for about four years.

I drove it quite a bit last summer as I worked on the car and got it back on the road and nice to drive again. The nicer I make it, though, the harder it is to imagine selling it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE