SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T
SVX rally car

I know I don't post much anymore, lots going on. My engine build for my future turbo car is coming along, but I thought I'd share some recently progress on my *OTHER* SVX that doesn't get much attention.

If you remember, I picked up a car from here used in two 24 Hours of LeMons races. It's 5 speed swapped with an 2.5 RS transmission, Spec clutch, Hawk pads, most of the glass removed, plastic front windshield, completely stripped interior with full roll cage, one 240sx drivers seat, and a battery relocation.

Since getting it I haven't done much anything with it. I drove it twice, parked it, and let it sit till the snow fell where I intended to go out and act like a damn fool on some ice with it haha... But I couldn't get it to start. Tried a handful of times since then with no luck. Finally took another crack at it the other day now that its getting warm and schools out so I have more time. Turns out the battery cable was just a bit too lose, though the battery in it is dead and the clutch in it is absolute garbage (apparently 24 hours of hard racing isn't good for them).

First thing I'm starting to fix now:
When I got it the previous owner kept the 5 point harness since he was only borrowing it, so I've been seatbeltless. I found a guy thats going to just give me one. Probably not any real name brand, but hey it's better than nothing. The seat also isn't really bolted down correctly and loved to lift up and slam back down, well be addressing that soon. I think I'm also going to look into making some plastic windows for the car since I don't have a garage so the only thing keeping rain out of it right now is a tarp..

I also started priming it for some paint. I got it in a cheap white with lots of "interesting" writing on it. I started with the back just so my neighbors will stop seeing "buttsex" written on the back bumper whenever they drive past my driveway haha, other than it saying "Boats N Hoes" on the roof most of its fairly covered now. Peeled all the decals off the side, and sanded it all over, though admittedly poorly, with 320 grit (since I just had some in the garage).

I don't know how well this is going to go, but I'm planning to *attempt* to paint this car up like Travis Pastrana's old Red Bull STi. Of course this is an $800 car so I'm doing it myself with Rustoleum paint..I figure it can't look much worse than it already does. Haven't decided if I'm going to roll it on or get a spray gun, but really anythings an improvement haha. I got this far before running out of paint and Advanced doesn't seem to carry the brand anymore. I'm going to try and pick up a few more cans today.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:26 PM

Re: SVX rally car

sounds like a good idea... the paint cans that is! Should be easy to find!

Keith
Old 05-16-2011, 01:17 PM

Going for this... How hard could it be?

My plan of attack is to get it all primed then do the whole car in the Royal Blue they make and then tape off the lines and the sun. I got a friend whos a great artist, shes going to attempt to make a template for the bull as soon as I get her the measurements.

I just happen to have old eBay scoop laying around the garage Im going to tape on to the roof to match that car too haha. This car seems to love duct tape.

Also have to fix or replace my drivers fender. I think I'm going to try removing it and knocking it out first, that would be the cheaper route I'm sure

Last edited by STeeL25T; 05-16-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:02 PM
(^・ω・^)b

Registered SVX

"In 1991, a Subaru SVX, driven by Ken Knight and Bob Dart, won the Alcan Winter Rally, a race starting in Seattle to the Arctic Circle and back."

I wonder if you can hunt down some info on the SVX rally car they used. Maybe get some specs and see how their SVX was set up for rally. I never even see a pic of this rally car though or any more info other than this little blurb here. If the info is available somewhere, it might be useful to ya. Anyways, good luck on this project!
Old 05-16-2011, 11:12 PM

I'm far from an expert in painting, but I seem to recall that you should go from light to dark when painting colors. I'd be wary of trying to get the white sections white if done over blue.

Also I'm 99% sure its a wrap job since thats cheaper than paint now.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:00 AM

Registered SVX

Having painted 18 wheelers at a local body shop BACK in the day.Always paint the light color 1st /You should even be using light gray or white primer under the white area. If u can buy all the paint you need at the same time. . buy a case. The lot # changes and the color may be slightly different.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:06 AM

If you're rolling the paint on with a paint roller, I don't think it terribly matters haha. But I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Maybe paint it blue, then use vinyl for the sun/bull/stripes. The stripes and sun are pretty easy to cut yourself. I'm sure your friend could cut out the bull as well.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:59 AM

That would certainly look better. Whats vinyl cost?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Online is mostly 100' + rolls. Call around to some local sign shops and ask for pricing for a few feet of the different colors.

It usually comes in 48" widths.

And I'm no expert, but I would make sure to let the paint dry completely before you put the vinyl on.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:35 AM

Another can and a half down. Doesn't look bad for the extemely minimal amount of work I'm doing haha. You may or may not can see my awesome non functional roof scoop duct taped to the roof
Old 07-04-2011, 01:07 PM

Priming done.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

i know this was a long time ago but this is the only post i could find where it seemed like some one was spray painting their car...if so how many cans did it take?

i need to re-paint my car and dont feel like spending $2,000 to have it done.

thanks!

1992 dark teal SVX LS